PDA

View Full Version : NaOH or KOH?

Laserist
12-30-2008, 11:58 PM
NaOH and KOH...
I hear that these two are the best elecrolytes because they're more potent and don't produce harmful gases in a cell. But which one of these is the better electrolyte and why?

Painless
12-31-2008, 09:45 AM
KOH is the better electrolyte, gram for gram it is more efficient than NaOH. Also, I find that NaOH leaves a disgusting residue wherever it gets and is harder to mix well.

Q-Hack!
12-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Yep. KOH is the better of the two. However, NaOH is usually easier to find and is generally cheaper. For the most part, it doesn't matter when it comes to efficiency. You just have to add a bit more NaOH per gram than KOH. That is to say that if you needed 1 tsp of NaOH you will only need 3/4 tsp of KOH. Does it really matter in the long run... no.

DrBrown
01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
My determining factor is availability. You just cant find KOH except for a few places online. Most chains and stores dont carry it anymore and it costs more. Ive only used NaOH mixes with tap water and its instant sludge.

coffeeachiever
01-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Another reason NaOH and KOH are so good is because they are true catalysts. This means that they cause a reaction without themselves being used up.

hg2
01-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Good site for KOH,btw KOH rules over NaOH

http://www.lyedepot.com/purchase_lye/index.html