PDA

View Full Version : Newby Soobie Houston Texas

greuvin
07-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi All,
New to this board. Greetings to everyone!

My situation:

Newly installed dual jar HHO (ss wire wrapped on plexiglass tower) unit just installed in my 2002 Subaru Outback (ebay special). I'm only seeing 2-3 amps of current draw here and using distilled water with 1 level teaspoon of baking soda in each jar.

Not getting any positive results after half a tank. Actually, engine runs exactly the same as before.

Does look like there are lots of bubbles in the jars, though. Also, the level in one of the jars has dropped after 200 miles.

Any advice? ideas?

Thanks for all your help.

Tom

PS. I have a pic, but the file is too large to upload.

mneste8718
07-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I built my own unit with 7 plates on my Subaru WRX '04 and I saw 35mpg on the hwy(7-8mpg increase). Your problem is that you are probably aren't pulling enough amps. You need somewhere between 15 to 30amp draw to get any appreciable amount of HHO that will increase your mpg.

greuvin
07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
How to increase amp draw? Try NaOH? More baking soda? Different plates?

mneste8718
07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
The wrapped SS wire is not all that efficient. You should try some thick SS plates.

I am using 7 in this configuration
+nnnnn- (n=neutral)

You shouldn't use baking soda because it just doesn't work all that well. Try NaOH or KOH. You get much better results.

And yeah, the more electrolyte you use, the more amp draw there will be. Watch out for heat though cause as the amps increase, you will be heating the water up pretty fast.

greuvin
07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
So ditch the coils and go to ss plates and use NaOH?

How much NaOH?

I'm using a foil heat shield which seems to be doing okay for now.

I installed the O2 spacer already. No "check engine" light. Did you use any electronic enhancements on your SOOB?

mneste8718
07-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Well I actually tuned the ECU of my car since I have access to an ODBII cable and open source tuning software. All I did was increase the closed loop air fuel ratio to 15.3:1 from 14.7:1

Yea I would recommend plates over coils, but you can continue trying with the coils and see if you can get anywhere near 1liter/minute production which will probably be tough.

It's tough to say how much NaOH you need cause each setup is different. You need to experiment and keep track of how many amps you are drawing and how hot things are getting.

If you do go with plates, make sure they are relatively thick. Thicker than the SS wall plate covers that people have been using here, otherwise make the plates big (surface area). Basically you need space for the electron's to travel through (needs to be able to handle the amps without heating up too much)

greuvin
07-01-2008, 04:15 PM
So, assuming I get some better plates to use as electrodes.......Use NaOH and Distilled water, correct? Start with 1 teaspoon and increase from there?

I don't have any idea about the ODBII cable and open source tuning software, though.

Did you do the O2 extension or was that not needed with the ODBII cable and open source tuning software?

Does your CEL come on?

mneste8718
07-01-2008, 07:53 PM
So, assuming I get some better plates to use as electrodes.......Use NaOH and Distilled water, correct? Start with 1 teaspoon and increase from there?

I don't have any idea about the ODBII cable and open source tuning software, though.

Did you do the O2 extension or was that not needed with the ODBII cable and open source tuning software?

Does your CEL come on?

yea just do that....make sure you include neutral plates so the voltage drops. I didn't have to do anything to the O2 sensor because of the tuning. You should first build a good unit before you mess with the O2 or MAF. I noticed a difference without tuning anything, you should too but the car computer (ECU) will learn that there is extra oxygen in the mixture and after 100 miles or so, your returns will probably diminish a bit but you should still see a difference from the better burn.

later when you have everything running the way it should without over heating, then you should do something with the O2 or MAF.

Ronjinsan
07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
I'd be a bit careful on the electrolyte, it depends a lot on the gap between your plates and the amount of water in the jar! If you have a 1 ltr jar (2 pints?) start off with about half teaspoon and build up from there!

greuvin
07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
ok, will give it a try. Might be some time before i can get some new plates. I did try the drano this morning in my existing set-up.

Overall note....looks like my mileage actually went down for this first full tank.
:o

mneste8718
07-02-2008, 01:49 PM
ok, will give it a try. Might be some time before i can get some new plates. I did try the drano this morning in my existing set-up.

Overall note....looks like my mileage actually went down for this first full tank.
:o

well you need an efficient setup, otherwise you will just be putting a load on the alternator which will in fact decrease your efficiency...

I dunno about this drano idea... is it only made of NaOH? if not, then this could release some noxious gases that will probably hurt your lungs.

greuvin
07-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Drano is mostly Naoh, as far as I can tell.

I just flushed out both cells and tried the drano and distilled water combo.

I'm pulling 2.3 amps when cold. After driving 15 minutes the current draw is 3.4 amps.

Will try a longer drive time to see how high the amp draw will get.

Also, trying to source some ss plates to replace the spiral wire.

<5 amps wouldn't load down the alternator much, right?

Ronjinsan
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Kick up the electrolyte level.....on wire you want to be drawing at least 10 amps!!

greuvin
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Would it help to connect my 2 cells in parallel?

Also, would adding more wire to the spiral be of any benefit?

Ronjinsan
07-03-2008, 01:35 AM
I run mine in parallel, ooops I didnt realise you were in series! My bad..... Better not up the electrolyte yet until you change the wiring to parallel! You will get much more production!

ELECTR0N3RD
07-03-2008, 02:49 AM
I keep hearing of this but what is NaOH or KOH?, I use plain ole' baking soda and im getting around 70+ mpg.

greuvin
07-03-2008, 08:09 AM
I keep hearing of this but what is NaOH or KOH?, I use plain ole' baking soda and im getting around 70+ mpg.

That is awesome! Can you please show us your set-up?

greuvin
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I run mine in parallel, ooops I didnt realise you were in series! My bad..... Better not up the electrolyte yet until you change the wiring to parallel! You will get much more production!

Yep, just connected my two cells in parallel. Now drawing 11 amps cold. Will do some testing this weekend. I also fed both cells into my breather. Does this make a difference?

Note, I can't feel any pressure exiting from the tubes. Do you normally feel pressure build up if you plug the ends with your fingers for a few seconds or is the pressure much too low to feel?

UPDATE: I had waaaay too much drano in my system. It was getting much too hot and drawing too much current. I dumped my solution and refilled with 1/4tsb of drano. Now, even in parallel, amp draw is 2.5 cold. Will work up to get better output. Trial and error. Mostly error:eek:

PAPAFIXIT
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM

Yes please let us in on your 70mpg set-up, this is what we're looking for!!

ELECTR0N3RD
07-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Yes please let us in on your 70mpg set-up, this is what we're looking for!!

Ok, just give me some time to either draw it out or get a camera lol,