PDA

View Full Version : Baking soda

Captain Charlie
01-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I have just finished reading most of the posts which is the best electrolite.
The two kost talked about, NaOH and KOH seem to have their own side effects. Baking soda is easy to get, but there is mention of it producing undesirable gas. Several gases were mentioned by different people.

If that is so, where are these gases going to be to present a danger? Mine would be going into the engine with the HHO. I don't plan on standing at my work bench to breath whats coming out of the jar. I'm very new at this and may be niave so help me out here. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks,

Charlie

mytoyotasucks
01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I have just finished reading most of the posts which is the best electrolite.
The two kost talked about, NaOH and KOH seem to have their own side effects. Baking soda is easy to get, but there is mention of it producing undesirable gas. Several gases were mentioned by different people.

If that is so, where are these gases going to be to present a danger? Mine would be going into the engine with the HHO. I don't plan on standing at my work bench to breath whats coming out of the jar. I'm very new at this and may be niave so help me out here. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks,

Charlie

i believe baking soda makes clorine gas

Q-Hack!
01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
i believe baking soda makes clorine gas

Err... no it doesn't.

Baking soda is NaHCO3 there is no Cl in that molecule.

When you mix NaHCO3 with 2(H20) and applied to the electrolysis process you get CO2 + NaOH + 2(H2) + O2 or Carbon Dioxide and Sodium Hydroxide along with HHO. The CO2 and HHO leave the chamber together; the NaOH recombines with the water.

So, no it doesn't make Chlorine gas, it makes Carbon Dioxide.

Table salt however, 2(NaCl)+2(H20) yeilds Cl2+H2+2(NaOH)... Chlorine gas.

Captain Charlie
01-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the reply and the answer.

Charlie

Michaeljp86
01-12-2009, 04:13 PM
I used baking soda with aluminum plates, it worked pretty good but didnt have a high gas output. The plates stayed clean, anything else would eat up the aluminum.

truckman1966
04-28-2009, 11:35 AM
So since sodium hydroxide (NaOH) has no carbon in that molecule, there is no way for it to produce CO2, correct? Therefore, all gas coming out of the unit would be NaOH, H2, and O2 leaving the NaOH sill in the aqueous solution, correct? So why mess with baking soda when NaOH is so readily available?

truckman1966
04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
of course i think it would kill aluminum plates.

Q-Hack!
04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
of course i think it would kill aluminum plates.

You are correct. The NaOH would stay in aqueous solution. And yes the aluminium would get eaten up with NaOH. However, the mix of NaOH and Aluminium makes Hydrogen. So if you don't mind replacing your plates on a regular basis... :rolleyes:

truckman1966
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I posted on another thread but i am still amazed that the baking soda -> lye conversion uses like 20 times less electrolyte concentrate. and that when you crunch the numbers it is actually cheaper to run lye. i'm going to up the dosage and see what kind of production i get. was using 8 tbsp:gallon water with baking soda. now i am 1/2TSP:gallon water with the lye. gonna up it to twice as much later today.

hhokit
10-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Here is another option that you guys can try, it's working pretty well so far for us.
Add 5 level t spoons of citric acid crystals and ONE T SPOON OF BAKING SODA, per gallon of water(distilled or rain water= works better).
Do not exceed amount.. if you need to add fluid, do not add fluid with
additive in it, the additive stays in the unit.
Excess additive is BAD overheating will occur; possible blown fuse, excessive corrosion and you could damage yourself if you don't handle it properly.
The generator wiring(plates) and excess additive will draw
excessive amps. you will need to add some water when you gas up.
Properly mixed units will draw less than 4 amps.

<a href=http://hhokit.elcarsite.com>HHO Kit</a>

lhazleton
10-17-2009, 04:34 PM
If you do some investigating, the use of baking soda can be detrimental to your engine. I forget where I read this, but I'll put up the link when I find it (it was a long time ago).
What are you running? Is it a dry-cell or one of the wet-cell deals w/ss wire for electrodes?
Lee

jerrygoldsmith
10-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Here is another option that you guys can try, it's working pretty well so far for us.
Add 5 level t spoons of citric acid crystals and ONE T SPOON OF BAKING SODA, per gallon of water(distilled or rain water= works better).
Excess additive is BAD overheating will occur; possible blown fuse, excessive corrosion and you could damage yourself if you don't handle it properly.

No offense, but as you seem to be selling Water4Gas kits on your website that you listed in your post, I'm going to just stick with Lye and not your citric acid/baking soda suggestion........

Helz_McFugly
10-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Take offense Scammer, your selling JUNK. Do you also offer Amway Global?

Michaeljp86
10-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Banking soda is a base, then you mix a acid with it? Doesnt makes sense to me. Wouldnt you just be neutralizing each of them?

jerrygoldsmith
10-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Banking soda is a base, then you mix a acid with it? Doesnt makes sense to me. Wouldnt you just be neutralizing each of them?

Thats why you should buy his Water4Gas kit! So that you don't have to worry about silly things like actually doing it right....

Helz_McFugly
10-18-2009, 03:48 PM
these water4gas kits are what gave HHO a bad name, they dont work yet the site is still up, I really think that water4gas.com was put there by someone within the bigoil ring to give people the impression HHO is all a scam. these people need to be locked in a room with "Slappy" the slap happy clown for a few hours. :p

randycat99
07-04-2010, 05:18 PM
I think the idea is to neutralize the acid and base components while leaving the Na in solution to serve as the electrolyte. It seems like an encouraging approach on the surface. It would be like being able to use table salt w/o having to deal with the chlorine.

Maybe it is the same mechanics as using baking soda and vinegar together? I dunno...

randycat99
07-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I got this from wiki (under "alkaseltzer"):

C6H8O7(aq) + 3NaHCO3(aq) → 3H2O(l) + 3CO2(g) + Na3C6H5O7(aq)

So the next question is if citrate ions have any negative effects on the cell, while the sodium ions do their electrolyte work?