PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else using measuring cups?

jerryrig
07-02-2008, 07:12 AM
I have been doing some tests, I bought some cheap measuring cups last night at wal-mart for around 4 bucks. I hooked everything up, each cup inside the other and added some salt (which I know now from this forum is bad....so I am on my way to get some baking soda today) anyhow, I was geting some good results.. Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone else was using measuring cups or any other sort of stainlesss steel cup and they actuall have the unit in use on their car.

I also thought about drilling holes all through the cups.....maybe to get more HHO from the cups, since most of the HHO comes from the edges most of the time...does that make sense?:confused:

A friend of mine bought a kit from the internet and used glass mason jars with plastic lids and some stainless steel wiring and he is geting really good results and he told me he was geting 8 miles extra on the gallon. That is awesome since yesterday gas was $4.08 at the cheapist place in town here.

Anyhow, thanks for all of your help. I love forums like this, reading this stuff you learn more in 10min then you ever did in a half hour of science class in high school. It's good to hear from the people that are geting their hands dirty and trying to figure all of this stuff out.:D

timetowinarace
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm using condiment cups, four for a dollar at Wal-mart. They are stacked in each other on a central allthread shaft. I cut a tab on the edges of the negatives (all in a line down the array) and crimped electrical connectors for 1/4" posts and ran allthread through the connectors. It's all wired in parallel. Meaning every positive cup has 12v applied to it. 15 cups total.

Ronjinsan
07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Sooooo this is ???? +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+? I have done a few cells with SS cups with great success. The problem I had was getting the gap and electrolyte right, but hey yeah got lots of production but thermal runaway! I would like to try a +nnn-nnn+nnn-nnn+ hmmmm maybe this weekend, Oh shit no I havent got enough cups LOL. Remember with cups or tubes of any sort you have acres of surface area! You will probably get enough production with a smaller setup like +nnn-nnn+ for 9 cups if they are small and +nn-nn+ if they are larger. The other thing is, have you tried the cups with the bottoms cut off??? Ahaaaaa :D

PAPAFIXIT
07-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Are y'all talkin about those corregated cups? They aren't SS are they, not at 4 for $1 ?

timetowinarace
07-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Not corregated. It said condiment cups. SS. They are somewhat bigger than shot glasses.

Yep +-+-+-+-+-+-+ where each plate is a + or a -. It is a parallel circut.

N plates are not actually neutral. They are part of a series circut or series parallel.

My electrolyzer ran for over two hours today. Once heated it ran at 30 amps and no more. No boiling water. no problems.

My personal opinion is that plate gap and electrolyte has more to do with over heating problems than whether or not N plates are used. People want to see allot of production shortly after turning on the system. I started with nearly no electrolyte and after a few long trips had added just enough that my amps stay at 30 over the long run. I have not measured output when it's at peak output because I just got the amps were I want them.

Ronjinsan
07-03-2008, 01:42 AM
We call them neutral because they are'nt connected physically to a terminal. Congratulations on your attaining control of the thermal runaway problem, I wish I could have with the cup setup! Whenever the outside temperature went up so did my cell and my amps!

ELECTR0N3RD
07-03-2008, 02:44 AM
I have never even thought of measuring cups, thats a pretty good idea though, What I use that is cost efficient of SS Is going to the plumbing section of Home Depot and using those round drain looking things, they are perfectly shaped and they even are shaped in such a way that i can use them vertically(which I do) I dont know about the holes thing, but it sounds pretty logical to me, My advice just try it.