PDA

View Full Version : Why not use a power inverter instead of 12 volts?

Gordon
01-26-2009, 08:39 PM
I have not seen it done as of yet but why not use a 12V to 110V power inverter to power the cells?

I have a 1500watt inverter here but i have not tried it with my cell as of yet.

If someone has tried it please let me (us) know what the result was.

110 volts at 60hz with a max of 1500 watts input should produce some nice bubbles i'd think but I don't wanna fry my cell trying this if it has already been done and has not been successful.

The only problem I can think of is keeping the 110V separated from the vehicles chassis.... ie do the bubbles carry voltage into the intake of the vehicle?

Gordon

Q-Hack!
01-26-2009, 10:04 PM
I have not seen it done as of yet but why not use a 12V to 110V power inverter to power the cells?

I have a 1500watt inverter here but i have not tried it with my cell as of yet.

If someone has tried it please let me (us) know what the result was.

110 volts at 60hz with a max of 1500 watts input should produce some nice bubbles i'd think but I don't wanna fry my cell trying this if it has already been done and has not been successful.

The only problem I can think of is keeping the 110V separated from the vehicles chassis.... ie do the bubbles carry voltage into the intake of the vehicle?

Gordon

Let me start with your last question first... It wouldn't be a problem as the engine is the same potential as the negative lead on the battery (ground). Also, it would require a laminar flow of water to conduct... bubbles make conductivity next to impossible.

Now, on to the rest of your scenario. Inverters are lousy when it comes to efficiency. In fact most don't even put out 110VAC like they claim. I'll bet if you hook up your multimeter to the AC side it will only read 80VAC or something there about. What you end up with is adding loss to a system that is already laden with loss. Or think about it this way... The current required to power the inverter is going to cause your alternator to load down and cancel any gains you might get.

It only takes 2 volts per plate gap to generate HHO. Anything more and you will create heat. So to make this work, you would need to build your HHO generator with 54 unconnected plates at 110V (39 unconnected if only 80V). It all seems a bit impractical to me.

Another point on this is that some believe that AC is less efficient than DC at producing HHO. I haven't done any testing with AC yet to verify this though.

Gordon
01-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Makes sense to me I was just curious as to why.

I measured the output on this one and it's 108V (sinewave inverter).

I do know that the cheapy inverters would be lucky to have 80v lol.

Once spring gets here I will be mounting a 2nd alternator (105amp) and 2nd battery under the hood... I prefer the "better safe then sorry" approach as I carry my 4 kids in this van and would rather not have the main alternator fry on me.

Great forums by the way... been reading them forever just never got around to registering and posting :D

Q-Hack!
01-27-2009, 03:19 AM
Great forums by the way... been reading them forever just never got around to registering and posting :D

I hear you... I spent almost two weeks reading all the posts and that was 6 months ago... would hate to try and read them all now.

Gordon
01-27-2009, 05:18 AM
Just for kicks... I wonder how HHO injection compares to high pressure water mist injection for mileage.... for that matter, could the 2 be combined.....hmmmmmm

HHO injection helps to increase efficiency of the gasoline burn thus giving better mileage but the byproduct is O2 which makes heat so if you were to inject HHO into the intake and then a fine mist of high pressure water (engine at operating temp of course) it "should" reduce the temp of the intake air and possibly giving you even better mileage.

lol the ideas I come up with at 3:20am :P

I may just have to try this "double shot" idea soon... supposedly nice weather is approaching here soon.

Gordon