PDA

View Full Version : 51 Plymoth Town & Country

Q-Hack!
01-31-2009, 01:02 AM
I have this old 51 that I am in the process of restoring. My brother ask me the other day if I was planning on putting in an HHO system. I told him I hadn't given it much thought, but now that I have it in the foremost part of my brain... I started thinking about what is different with this car from the more modern cars. One of the major differences is that it requires the older leaded fuel. I am sure that no one here under the age of 30 even remembers this kind of fuel. My question is: has anybody played with HHO on an older Leaded fuelled car? Or am I about to become the forums guinea pig for this?

Note that I am probably many months from making this vehicle road worthy yet.

velorossa22
02-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I've always thought that it would be cool to make an old car a "hybrid". I don't know why it wouldn't work. If you are still adding lead to your gasoline then I would think that doing the same while it's a hydrid would be fine. I've seen a video of a smack design on a 60's car with the piping into the car intake.
However if your car is a 6 volt instead of 12V your hho generator may have to be configured differently.

Q-Hack!
02-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I've always thought that it would be cool to make an old car a "hybrid". I don't know why it wouldn't work. If you are still adding lead to your gasoline then I would think that doing the same while it's a hydrid would be fine. I've seen a video of a smack design on a 60's car with the piping into the car intake.
However if your car is a 6 volt instead of 12V your hho generator may have to be configured differently.

If I decide to do this, I would keep the HHO separate from the charging system. Probably solar power charging of batteries or something. This vehicle is not a daily driver.

The idea behind the lead is to provide a lubrication to the high temperature parts of the engine. (valves mostly) I am not sure how the HHO would affect that process though. It makes for a real expensive failure if it doesn't work.

screwballl
02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
HHO in a carburetor is cause for problems... you will need to keep the floats, jets and everything else cleaned up every oil change...