PDA

View Full Version : efie

gashead
02-04-2009, 03:34 PM
when installing an efie, what is the best way to connect wires to the efie? my old soldering gun wont get it done and the new one ( el cheapo ) doesnt appear to get hot enough ( just blobs the solder) i dont want to ruin the device is there another way to connect the wires securely.;; this is one of shane jacksons efies.

thank you
todd;

Q-Hack!
02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
when installing an efie, what is the best way to connect wires to the efie? my old soldering gun wont get it done and the new one ( el cheapo ) doesnt appear to get hot enough ( just blobs the solder) i dont want to ruin the device is there another way to connect the wires securely.;; this is one of shane jacksons efies.

thank you
todd;

One thing people tend to forget when soldering... flux. It does two things: removes any impurities on the metal and allows the solder to flow easier. It makes soldering so much easier.

Painless
02-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Do you guys have any recommendations for particular types of solder or soldering tips? I can never get solder to tin on my tips, they just turn black and slowly disintegrate.

alpha-dog
02-04-2009, 10:06 PM

thank you
todd;

If you are trying to solder onto the O2 sensor pigtail then you will have problems. The wires are stainless steel I believe.

Q-Hack!
02-04-2009, 11:44 PM
The wires on O2 sensors do need to stand up to a lot of heat, but they are probably just some form of alloy and not true stainless steel. If you work on the computer side of the O2 sensor connector it should be copper wire. Doing this will have the advantage of being able to replace the O2 sensor when they go bad without having to re-solder anything.

To add to the various tips stated so far:

As for soldering outside, I have to recommend using a soldering gun of at least 100 watts. Craftsman makes a decent dual heat 150/230 for about $35 at Sears. I own a Weller 140 myself, which is good for up to about 10 gauge wire. If you are outside in the breeze, you will need this level of heat. The little 60W pencils are best for small circuit boards on the work bench. For wire larger than 10 gauge, I recommend using an industrial crimp tool. If larger wire must be soldered then use a torch.

Make sure you have a good physical connection between the to items being soldered together. If it wiggles while you try to solder it, it will be harder to get heated correctly.

Stainless steel is nearly impossible to solder to... best to avoid trying. If you still have to solder to it then gouge the steel to give the solder something to stick to.

Don't think that the bigger the glob the better the job... use only enough solder to flow between the two metals.

If you are soldering components like diodes or resistors etc... then only keep the soldering iron on the joint for no more than 5-7 seconds. I usually apply the iron and count to 5, then touch with solder. If you go longer you risk damaging the components.

Use heat shrink tubing and not electrical tape. Under the hood can get quite warm, and electrical tape will become a gooey mess.

There are probably a thousand little tricks when it comes to soldering... These will get you started.

Q-Hack!
02-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Do you guys have any recommendations for particular types of solder or soldering tips? I can never get solder to tin on my tips, they just turn black and slowly disintegrate.

I usually file my tips to bare metal. Then dip in flux and tin with solder. Then as I am soldering I use a wet sponge to clean the tip after every solder connection. Flux itself is corrosive so you want to get it off of the tip every time you use it.

gashead
02-05-2009, 04:56 PM
As for soldering outside, I have to recommend using a soldering gun of at least 100 watts

this may be my problem, the one i bought is only a 25 watt gun. i cant seem to get it right for nothing ( and im a certified welder )

Painless
02-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I usually file my tips to bare metal. Then dip in flux and tin with solder. Then as I am soldering I use a wet sponge to clean the tip after every solder connection. Flux itself is corrosive so you want to get it off of the tip every time you use it.

The flux is probably what I'm missing then, I'm only looking for circuit welding so my iron should be ok. For higher gauge wire I always use my torch.

gashead
02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
i have finally got it. ( i think ) i was able to tin the wires today, tomorrow i will attempt to solder the wires into the efie ( wish me luck ) and install it this weekend. i have spent the day building a new exhaust system so im ready to do some more testing

gashead
02-06-2009, 03:15 PM
please help me out here, i just installed an efie that i got from shane jackson. i have let the truck run for 30 minutes to get up to full operating temp. i am unclear on how to adjust this thing! any help would be appreciated. im trying to adjust the ohms, i have varied them from 20 to 50 ohms, i seen no responce from my truck ( hho is connected ) what is the proper way to adjust, ohms or otherwise and what is a good starting point for a mpg test. also no matter where i have set the efie my map enhancer kills the engine at idle on the second mark

thanks;
todd

gashead
02-07-2009, 12:13 PM
i thought i saw a thread on this site that discussed how to enitially set up an efie, and i can not seem to find it. does anyone know where to start ( rough idea ). my truck only gets 10 mpg so i hate to go too far backwards ( and waste fuel ) before going in the right direction.

Painless
02-07-2009, 12:19 PM
i thought i saw a thread on this site that discussed how to enitially set up an efie, and i can not seem to find it. does anyone know where to start ( rough idea ). my truck only gets 10 mpg so i hate to go too far backwards ( and waste fuel ) before going in the right direction.

This page is very informative:

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

gashead
02-07-2009, 02:34 PM
This page is very informative:

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

thanks for the info, ive just rewired my map enhancer ( frequency type ) and cut the ground wire instead of the signal wire. it still shuts the engine off on the second mark. that is confusing to me. as for the efie, the info said i should see a difference in 1 ohm changes, but i cant tell a difference with 50 ohm changes. im just wandering if this efie is not the correct one for my truck. i have a three wire 02 sensor ( HEGO) and cut the signal wire to tie in. any suggestions ( besides give up ) would be appreciated

thanks alot;
todd

Painless
02-07-2009, 03:08 PM
as for the efie, the info said i should see a difference in 1 ohm changes, but i cant tell a difference with 50 ohm changes.

Todd,

Your statement about the EFIE confuses things, EFIE's add voltage to the signal from an O2 narrowband sensor. Resistance to the O2 sensors signal doesn't come into play.

Russ.

Boltazar
02-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Some times the tips of the sodering gun loosen up and need to be tightened to conduct heat better.

gashead
02-08-2009, 04:56 PM
i got this info from ford fuel injection . com

The HEGO Sensor detects the presence of oxygen in the exhaust and produces a variable voltage according to the amount of oxygen detected. A high concentration of oxygen (lean air/fuel ratio) in the exhaust produces a low voltage signal less than 0.4 volts. A low concentration of oxygen (rich air/fuel ratio) produces a high voltage signal greater than 0.6 volts. The 02 provides feedback to the computer (EEC) indicating air/fuel ratio in order to achieve a near stoichiometric air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 during closed loop engine operation. The 02 generates a voltage between 0.0 and 1.1 volts.

the highest reading i can get is 0.25 on the efie. after seeing this is there another efie that anyone suggests or should i just say the heck with this? i have pulled the codes from my ecm and it says system pass, no faults found

gashead
02-08-2009, 08:21 PM
The EFIE will only show .25v if checking just it. What it does is add upto .25v to the signal. In other words, if the O2 is sending .04 (lean) the EFIE can add up to .25v now showing .65v or rich.

since ive cut the signal wire the ecm can only see what the 0.25v that the efie is sending. i asked you alot of questions before i purchaced this from you and you always sent me to links. i hooked this up the only way that seemed logical, maybe it wont work for my application, but if anyone else tries to buy one you could see them through the install, since you are selling them

gashead
02-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Did you bother to read the directions provided in the link?? The link I gave is very specific and all information needed is provided.

But to sum it up for you:
1. Cut the O2 Signal wire.
2. Connect the wire that is connected to the O2 sensor to O2-1
3. Connect the other wire (the one going to the ECU) to ECU-1
4. Make 12v and Gnd connections.
If 2 O2 sensors:
5. Connect the wire that is connected to the O2 sensor to O2-2
6. Connect the other wire (the one going to the ECU) to ECU-2
7. Check Voltage without engine running. I would start at .05v
8. Start engine and let idle for 5 min, check voltage, you should be at approx .5V

You should be done. If you are only reading .05v (or whatever you were in step 7) something is wrong....

i agree something is wrong. after engine has run 5 min or 30 min the highest reading i get is 0.25. the link painless sent me to said that 0.28 may be all some newer vehicles may see (i dont consider mine newer) but maybe it is what it is.

gashead
02-10-2009, 07:54 AM
maybe im checking the voltage wrong. i have my voltmeter on the lowest setting, ( 20 volts ) im connecting the red lead to ecu and the black lead to 02. is this right or wrong?

thanks,again:
todd

gashead
02-10-2009, 11:42 AM
That should be right.
Have you checked it not hooked to the EFIE?

i dont know how to now that the wires are soldered in the efie

gashead
02-17-2009, 11:43 AM
i have run through a full feul run after the efie installation. i have the efie as high as i can get it ( .25 volts with engine warm and running ) my mileage dropped even further, now down to 9.5 mpg. i disconnected the hho vacume line from my intake, removed the fuse from the cell and fired my truck up and it smoked and flooded. it will only run with the cell connected. im thinking the efie doesnt like ford eec iv injection. are there any suggestions before i remove it?

todd

H2OPWR
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
i have run through a full feul run after the efie installation. i have the efie as high as i can get it ( .25 volts with engine warm and running ) my mileage dropped even further, now down to 9.5 mpg. i disconnected the hho vacume line from my intake, removed the fuse from the cell and fired my truck up and it smoked and flooded. it will only run with the cell connected. im thinking the efie doesnt like ford eec iv injection. are there any suggestions before i remove it?

todd

Something sounds very wrong if I am understanding the post correctly. Your vehicle flooded with the cell off and the EFIE on? That just is not what should happen at all! It sounds to me like somewhere somehow the EFIE is either not hooked up correctly or not operating correctly. It should lean the truck out not flood it. Even with no HHO with the EFIE connected you should see an increase in MPG. Something somewhere it telling your truck to run very rich. The only reason that I can think of that your truck would flood after unhooking the HHO from vacuum is that the extra amount of air drawn into the intake through the HHO device was enough to lean out the air/fuel mixture just enough to make it run. Even if HHO was not helping at all this should not happen. It sounds to me like you are subtracting voltage from the O2 sensor line instead of adding it. That would make your results add up. Or the EFIE you are using is not compatable with your O2 type. I do not know what your truck has for O2's but a normal EFIE will make mine richer. Mine has wide band air/fuel sensors. They operate opposite most O2's. As the voltage goes down in the signal line my truck runs leaner.