PDA

View Full Version : Automatic EFIE?

HANK
02-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I dont like the idea of having a manuel EFI that I need to constantly switch and play around with as I'm driving. I found this unit and I wonder what your opinion is and if anyone has tried a unit like this?

Most EFIE's have a setting for city and for highway. Looks like this unit is set for one fuel richness?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dual-EFIE-O2-Oxygen-Sensor-Enhancer-HHO_W0QQitemZ110348139541QQihZ001QQcategoryZ294QQc mdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Painless
02-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Hank,

I believe you're confusing oxygen sensor EFIE's with MAP/MAF enhancers. The MAP/MAF enhancers typically have seperate city and highway settings where as O2 sensor EFIE's will have one setting.

In the case of a MAP/MAF enchancer you are applying resistance to the signal to fool the ECU into thinking that the vehicle is under less load than it actually is.

With an O2 EFIE, you are modifying the rich / lean signal from the O2 sensors to take it from the usual result of running too lean (which the O2 sensor mistakenly thinks is happening due to the more complete burn with HHO) to a signal which indicates a proper air / fuel ratio.

Using a MAP/MAF on it's own is typically not a good approach, the O2 sensors are the ECU's primary input for A/F ratio adjustment. If you lean out the mix with the MAP/MAF, the ECU will see the leaner mix in the exhaust through the O2's and typically richen it back again.

My recommendation is to use an O2 EFIE, such as those Shane is selling, and monitor results. If this doesn't seem to provide enough gains you could then either use further EFIE adjustment or move onto a MAP/MAF adjuster.

Be careful not to lean you engine too much, an exhaust gas temperature gauge is an investment I highly recommend to avoid any engine damage from over leaning.

Russ.