PDA

View Full Version : Simple experiment using audio

timetowinarace
07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Well, I needed to answer some questions for myself.

1. Will AC work for electrolysis.

2. Will audio waves work.

My reasons for these questions are simple. My goal is more effeciant electrolysis that the lay person can apply using electronics equipment that is cheap and abundant to all. No circut building. If I answer the second question the first is answered because audio going to a speaker is AC current.

Not wanting to blow my expensive home audio system I found an old 'boom' box I hadn't used for years. It has detachable speakers so I was able to simply cut the speaker cord for one side. I mixed a very concentrated amount of lye and water. I clipped on a couple alligater test leads to the speaker wire. I clipped those to two SS washers and set them in the electrolyte. I turned on the radio and turned the volume ALL the way up. I held the washer close to each other being carefull not to let them touch. I watched little bubbles come off the washers, twice as many from one than the other.

Question one answer, yes AC will work. I believe only the ignorant would assume that because the polarity switches nothing will happen. I'm quite confident that the time it takes for electrons to become free during electrolysis is quite faster than polarity can change and stop it from happening.

Question two answer, yes audio wave will work. My method of testing was quite crude and I got very few bubbles this way but my own eyes did see bubbles. This 'boom' box produces very low current and voltage through the speakers. That I got any bubbles with this low a current is encuraging.

ELECTR0N3RD
07-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Im not so sure on the audio part mainly because you would need the radio always on, unless maybe you can find a way to attatch it before the circiut but then you run into fuse issues, I dont know, but what is this AC buissiness?, do you mean alternating current or air conditioning system?, lol I know i sound ignorant right now, but I have heard of someone doing something with the AC unit in theyre car for water powered/or assisted cars, I never got to meet or see the guys who did it, but the guys down at autozone wouldnt shut up about it, they also did something with acid, or something im not sure.