PDA

View Full Version : cpu resets= car learning?

dslim
02-18-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't know how to start off with my question. I've read somewhere that with the newer models of cars, effie, map/maf sensor won't help. And that the only solution is to install the HHO system and let it run on your car and resetting your cpu every few miles for certain amount of months then your car will adapt to it?.

If anyone can confirm that this works or a link to where i can get more info. It would be great.

H2OPWR
02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't know how to start off with my question. I've read somewhere that with the newer models of cars, effie, map/maf sensor won't help. And that the only solution is to install the HHO system and let it run on your car and resetting your cpu every few miles for certain amount of months then your car will adapt to it?.

If anyone can confirm that this works or a link to where i can get more info. It would be great.

Actually I beleive that there are gains to be made with an EFIE, MAP/MAF etc. In fact with todays cars making gains without some electronic help will almost be impossible. I beleive the problem that most face is impatience. I do think the ECU needs a complete reset at the start. Then take it very slow. Take your time and make only very small adjustments. Resist the urge to make big changes to see increases. There is something called Long Term Fuel trim and Short Term Fuel Trim. This allows the ECU to adapt to it's conditions. If you are a lead foot then the ECU learns to give you more fuel, If you live in a high altitude then the ECU learns that you need less, etc. The ECU will make small short term changes to the fuel trim based on the immediate situation. All the time comparing them to the long term fuel trim. If there is too much a difference between the two then the ECU thinks there is a problem and goes into open loop running your car at a safe rich setting. What needs to be done are slow steady changes. The long term fuel trim will slowly change based on the amount of fuel your car uses. In other words take it slow and let your car learn. Once you start moving the LTFT to a leaner setting then resetting the ECU will make you start all over again. If you mess up and get a check engine light spend the money to have it cleared without unhooking the battery cable. Doing that could clear at least some of the LTFT and make you start over. Just an educated opinion. Good Luck. It can be a frustrating process.

Larry

55blue
03-15-2009, 04:54 AM
http://www.scangauge.com/

I have found that you will need a gauge like the one I have posted the link to. Once you start messing with HHO production,EFIEs, and trying to trick your MAF sensor, you WILL bring on check engine codes. The scan gauge allows you to reset this problem on your own, even while driving. I have mine tie wrapped to my shift lever and it is plugged in and working all of the time.

John Sargent
03-15-2009, 07:05 AM

I tried that, resetting the engine control module, on my 07 Honda Accord, and 05 Honda Civic. Both have hho dry cell systems. Resetting for me, did NOT work. What DID WORK though, was to put a wideband afr efie on the front afr sensor, and a narrowband O2 efie on the secondary O2 sensor of each car.
Mileage in my Civic went from 32 to 44, up 38% and holding. Checked it yesterday.
Strongly recommend that you get the efies from fuelsaver-mpg.com, they have the only wideband afr efie guaranteed to work, and it does indeed work well. Great support, great products - and I don't get paid for saying that, I just had good experience with them.
John Sargent

mytoyotasucks
03-15-2009, 11:38 AM
http://www.scangauge.com/

I have found that you will need a gauge like the one I have posted the link to. Once you start messing with HHO production,EFIEs, and trying to trick your MAF sensor, you WILL bring on check engine codes. The scan gauge allows you to reset this problem on your own, even while driving. I have mine tie wrapped to my shift lever and it is plugged in and working all of the time.

that might be why i bought a OBD2 to USB, so i could monitor live data while driving - oh hooks up to a laptop.

bigjim56
03-15-2009, 01:15 PM
What DID WORK though, was to put a wideband afr efie on the front afr sensor, and a narrowband O2 efie on the secondary O2 sensor of each car.
Mileage in my Civic went from 32 to 44, up 38% and holding.

John,

My situation is similar to yours, my car is a 2001 Acura Integra (almost identical engine as your 2005 Civic) that is using 6 water4gas units w/a map sensor to trim fuel usage. Currently getting a dry cell unit ready for install. Government websites say I should be getting 25-28 mpg, but I'm currently getting 30-31 average, I drive very thriftfully.

What units are you using, water4gas or dry cell? What is this units cost and how hard is the install? I would be very interested to see if the gains you see are here for the long run. I hope they are.

My map sensor works great, but with little to no gains in mpg's I'm beginning to think that there is something here I am not seeing. Once the dry cell is installed (testing begins tonight) and if there's still no mpg increase, then for sure something is wrong. Something I'm not seeing.

bigjim56

H2OPWR
03-15-2009, 02:06 PM
What DID WORK though, was to put a wideband afr efie on the front afr sensor, and a narrowband O2 efie on the secondary O2 sensor of each car.

John,

My situation is similar to yours, my car is a 2001 Acura Integra (almost identical engine as your 2005 Civic) that is using 6 water4gas units w/a map sensor to trim fuel usage. Currently getting a dry cell unit ready for install. Government websites say I should be getting 25-28 mpg, but I'm currently getting 30-31 average, I drive very thriftfully.

What units are you using, water4gas or dry cell? What is this units cost and how hard is the install? I would be very interested to see if the gains you see are here for the long run. I hope they are.

My map sensor works great, but with little to no gains in mpg's I'm beginning to think that there is something here I am not seeing. Once the dry cell is installed (testing begins tonight) and if there's still no mpg increase, then for sure something is wrong. Something I'm not seeing.

bigjim56

Bigjim, I beleive that you need to target the O2's for enhancement. The map enhancer will help but not without an EFIE. I do now beleive that you need to use an EFIE of both pre and post cat O2's.

Larry

John Sargent
03-16-2009, 07:16 AM

John,

bigjim56

Hi Jim,
I'm using a dry cell (7 plate), pwm, and 2 efies (wideband afr sensor in front on exhaust manifold, and regular O2 sensor after that one), appropriate efie on each sensor (they are different sensors, and require different efies). Got my dry cell from hydrogas labs on ebay, been very happy with them. Got the efies from fuelsaver-mpg.com, and been extremely happy with their service and support. Great guys, great products, strongly recommend as they replaced one of mine that quit working free and quickly.

Hope this helps. Strongly recommend that you get away from wetcell glass jars as quickly as possible for: better production, lower temperatures, safety.

John

bigjim56
03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
H2OPWR/John,

I went to their website and put in the info. for my car, they mailed me back today...

James,
You have 1 narrow band sensor upstream of your catalytic converter so one of our single narrow band EFIE’s is what you would need.
You can get one in our online store at http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/store/

I already have the map sensor...does'nt that do what this efie would do?
This has me confused, I know I need to control the fuel sensor from dumping xs fuel and that is what the map sensor is doing, cutting back on the xs fuel delivery. I guess what I'm asking is "How is this efie any different from my map sensor?" Does'nt the map sensor take the electrical current and alter the attenuating flow to the oxygen sensor?

Thanks for the response guys.

I am getting away from the water4gas design, testing on my dry cell should begin tonight. Thanks Larry for the plate design and building/advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

bigjim56

mytoyotasucks
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
H2OPWR/John,

I went to their website and put in the info. for my car, they mailed me back today...

James,
You have 1 narrow band sensor upstream of your catalytic converter so one of our single narrow band EFIE’s is what you would need.

This has me confused, I know I need to control the fuel sensor from dumping xs fuel and that is what the map sensor is doing, cutting back on the xs fuel delivery. I guess what I'm asking is "How is this efie any different from my map sensor?" Does'nt the map sensor take the electrical current and alter the attenuating flow to the oxygen sensor?

I am getting away from the water4gas design, testing on my dry cell should begin tonight. Thanks Larry for the plate design and building/advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

bigjim56

each sensor sends info to the computer independantly.

if u adjust the map sensor, the computer will still see the info from the O2 sensor, and decides what to do, now if u adjust both sensors, then the computer will adjust that info.

the computer adjust fuel through many sensors, and if one is adjusted way off it will through a light, and might go into open loop, which will use more fuel so the engine doesnt get damaged.

and the pre OBD2 1996 cars are more adjustable - doesnt through a light as easy.

the OBD2 computers are smarter, but dumber as if one sensor goes bad, than the car doesnt run right, if one sensor goes bad on a pre OBD2 the car will still run ok and drivable.

H2OPWR
03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
H2OPWR/John,

James,

bigjim56

Jim, I agree with Toyota. The MAP enhancer and the O2 are completely different animals. Running a MAP without an EFIE for your O2 will probably be detrimental to your over all ability to make gains. If i were only going to run one it would be the EFIE. By running just the MAP you are telling the ECU that the engine is not working as hard and does not need as much fuel. Then when the ECU leans out your engine the O2 see's a lean condition and richens the fuel mixture to get back to the 14.7 to 1 ratio it is programed to maintain.

You have two fuel trims to worry about. Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) and Short Term Fuel Trim (STFT). To simplify how this works the STFT is for the most part the table in your ECU that determines the amount of fuel that your engine needs. It compares the LTFT with sensor data to determing the length of time that your fuel injectors stay open. By running just a MAP you are setting the LTFT to a richer than normal setting. Your ECU is getting modified data from the MAP telling it that your car is not working as hard as normal needing less fuel as the air flow is lower. Then the O2 is sending a lean condition signal to the ECU telling it to richen the mixture. All this together is telling the ECU that your car needs more fuel per pound of air to maintain a 14.7 to 1 ratio. This rewrites the LTFT ro a richer table. Now as your ECU compares sensor data to the LTFT your STFT will now have a richer setting and you defeat all the gains the HHO might give you,

Sorry for being so long winded but I have access to some of the best techs and factory rep's and have been picking their brains about this for months. Beleive it or not this is the short story on how this all works.

I strongly beleive that there are just a few reasons most people fail with this.

1) Just not enough HHO to help.
2) Improper MAP/MAF EFIE enhancer combinations.
3) Impatience with adjusting the enhancers. Too big of changes to the signals from the sensors will confuse the ECU. The tables do not figure in enhancers to their calculations.
4) Running the vehicle without enhancers or HHO or both once the tuning has started. Again sending confusing data to the ECU.

Hope this helps.

Larry

dslim
03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
So how do we know if we have a narrow or wide band sensors ?

i got a Toyota FJ 08.

H2OPWR
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM

i got a Toyota FJ 08.

Most Toyota's are now wide band but to find out for sure these people will look it up for you

www.fuelsaver-mpg.com

You probably have 2 pre cat wide band a/f sensors and 2 post cat narrow band sensors. Please do not take my word because it is just an deucated guess. Verify to make sure.

Larry

John Sargent
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM
H2OPWR/John,

James,

bigjim56

Hi Jim,

Your MAP sensor and O2 sensors do different things. They are definitely not the same. You do need the efie that Bruce wrote you back about, and you connect on the signal wire of the O2 sensor that you have. There are detailed instructions on the fuelsaver-org.com, on efie installation, that you need to read so that you connect it properly.
They do work when properly connected, and with your MAP mod working also, you should be able to get some decent (25-35-maybe 50%+) results.
Hope this helps a little bit.
John

John Sargent
03-16-2009, 10:13 PM

i got a Toyota FJ 08.

Easiest way is to email: support@fuelsaver-mpg.com , give them your vehicle year, make, model, and ask what type of sensors you have and what type of efies do you need.
They will tell you accurately and for free.
John

bigjim56
03-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Larry,

Your explanations make sense, just need to read numerous times to let it set in. I originally thought just the map sensor was needed, so $$$ wise I just took that advice and ran. I'll get the efie shortly. Tell the Techs that their advice is much appreciated here.

John,

Your input helped a lot, without it I would not have realized that an efie is a necessity in my setup. I'll read the instructions carefully and report the results for others to learn. Thanks.

bigjim56

John Sargent
03-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Jim,

Sorry, I made a mistake in the website name, it should be: fuelsaver-mpg.com . And the reason for the efie is that the O2 sensor probably has the biggest input to the engine computer for controlling the amount of fuel being used, so the efie allows you to have some control over it.

John

bigjim56
03-21-2009, 03:33 PM
input to drop sex troll from top

bigjim56

Scorpio4.7L
04-02-2009, 07:04 PM

Hey bud,
I don't know anything about HHO, but i DO know that my (2001) dodge dakota's computer (PCM) DOES 'learn' every time its reset. So, when i put my after market intake kit on, i reset the PCM, and it relearned what do do with all that extra air coming. They recommend this reset after cams and stuff too. but after that, it (the PCM) should "know and understand" what do do with the changes thereafter. I mean, i don't have to reset my PCM (Engine Computer) all the time (only per modification) b/c i have after market cams and intake, which, of course, alter the A/F ratios.

So, it stands to reason that once you reset the Engine Computer (PCM on mine..) WITH the HHO setup, you should be good to go. OF course i don't KNOW this for a fact, just trying to use some logic..

i hope i helped at all, i am an HHO noob after all. Just trying to contribute.
-Good Luck!

lemonhan
06-21-2011, 04:01 AM
happy a day