PDA

View Full Version : which route to go?

gareth01422
02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi guys

Gareth here from over the pond (UK). Ive been doing a lot of research on HHO cells and am a little puzzled about which way to go next.

About me: I am a design engineer with a skilled trade of sheetmetal work and welding. Ive designed lots of things in my carear from Projectors to telescopic forks for high bay warehousing. I have many CAD skills using Solidworks, AutoCAD, Inventor, Pro-E and Catia.

My HHO goal: My goal is to build a cell that will double my mpg for my SAAB 93 2 litre turbo car. On average im getting low 20mpg round town nd a steady run on the motorway (freeway) about 35mpg. I know this isnt bad for a 185 BHP car but the HHO bug has caught me. My other aim is to set up a web site with all CAD drawings, instructions and data sheets for everyone to view or download. I dont believe in making any money out of this only to share my knowledge (very limited at the moment on HHO).

So my question is this, Do i start with a dry cell or wet cell for my project?

Any information is greatly welcomed.

Gareth

H2OPWR
02-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi guys

Gareth here from over the pond (UK). Ive been doing a lot of research on HHO cells and am a little puzzled about which way to go next.

About me: I am a design engineer with a skilled trade of sheetmetal work and welding. Ive designed lots of things in my carear from Projectors to telescopic forks for high bay warehousing. I have many CAD skills using Solidworks, AutoCAD, Inventor, Pro-E and Catia.

My HHO goal: My goal is to build a cell that will double my mpg for my SAAB 93 2 litre turbo car. On average im getting low 20mpg round town nd a steady run on the motorway (freeway) about 35mpg. I know this isnt bad for a 185 BHP car but the HHO bug has caught me. My other aim is to set up a web site with all CAD drawings, instructions and data sheets for everyone to view or download. I dont believe in making any money out of this only to share my knowledge (very limited at the moment on HHO).

So my question is this, Do i start with a dry cell or wet cell for my project?

Any information is greatly welcomed.

Gareth

DRY CELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have yet to start do not even look at a wet cell. Dry cedll's are the way to go. You have a lofty goal in doubling your mileage. I wish you the best.

Larry

gareth01422
02-22-2009, 08:01 AM
DRY CELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have yet to start do not even look at a wet cell. Dry cedll's are the way to go. You have a lofty goal in doubling your mileage. I wish you the best.

Larry

Thanks Larry

I think i am being a bit too adventurous saying i would like to double my mpg. But hey everyone needs goals in life.

The first thing I am going to do is write down a action plan of all the stages I would like to test the unit I build. Then a build plan with different build configurations i.e. number of plates, size of unit and other things. Also after seeing a few youtube video's I would like to fit an air flow meter device to my car just to see what effect I will get on mpg before i introduce HHO.

Anyway, I’ve lots more research to do for now.

Gareth

redrat100
02-26-2009, 11:19 PM
From one CAD monkey to another (been using Pro-E since 1996) - Go with the dry cell. I started with a wet cell with an efficiency around 1.3 MMW (mililiters per minute per watt). Using the same plates I built a dry cell with an efficiency of 3.51 MMW. As close to an apples-to-apples comparison I could come up with.

gareth01422
03-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi guys

Just a quick update on what i have learned over the past few days or so.

Anyway heres my latest design which i think im going to build first.

let me know what you think. Brief description under the image.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/gareth01422/Section1.jpg

Cell Description:-

You may notice that there are 2 negative on one side of the cell and 2 positive plates on the other side of the cell, and one yellow blanking plate in the middle. This plate has only 1 opening at the bottom for the electrolyte to flow through into the negative chamber. The theory is that negative plates produce Hydrogen and the positive plates produce oxygen thus making the hydrogen output percentage higher because the oxygen is vented out of the other side of the cell.

You also may notice the offset of holes in the neutral plate’s compared the positive and negative plates. This is to slow down and break up the fresh electrolyte from the tank/bubbler. Instead of having a straight through design, this would be very easy for the electrolyte to flow straight through the cell without mixing with the electrolyte in the cell.

I'm not sure if I have explained this very well. Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Gareth

H2OPWR
03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Gareth, Nice drawing, Maybe I am missing something but I do not see how a device built with that set-up could produce any gas. You have to have electron flow between the positive and negative plates. I am unsure how that is accomplished with your charged plate locations.

Larry

Hi guys

Just a quick update on what i have learned over the past few days or so.

Anyway heres my latest design which i think im going to build first.

let me know what you think. Brief description under the image.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/gareth01422/Section1.jpg

Cell Description:-

You may notice that there are 2 negative on one side of the cell and 2 positive plates on the other side of the cell, and one yellow blanking plate in the middle. This plate has only 1 opening at the bottom for the electrolyte to flow through into the negative chamber. The theory is that negative plates produce Hydrogen and the positive plates produce oxygen thus making the hydrogen output percentage higher because the oxygen is vented out of the other side of the cell.

You also may notice the offset of holes in the neutral plate’s compared the positive and negative plates. This is to slow down and break up the fresh electrolyte from the tank/bubbler. Instead of having a straight through design, this would be very easy for the electrolyte to flow straight through the cell without mixing with the electrolyte in the cell.

I'm not sure if I have explained this very well. Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Gareth

H2OPWR
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Also, any neutral plate in a cell is bipolar. One side is positive and the other side negative.

gareth01422
03-06-2009, 03:50 PM
it was all theory lads.

I did a bit of research on the net after going to an interview to a company who reckon they are going to be manufacturing cells and set up for automotive and domestic sectors.

Also i changed the plate shape to polygon, no really credable reason for this only they will be cheaper to manufacture as they nest better on a sheet.

I also wanted to ask, What would the difference be if i made all my plates out of 304 and 316L stainless? I ask this as 316 is quite expensive over here in the UK. Shame we cant use ali as its muck cheap.

Gareth

gareth01422
03-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Also, any neutral plate in a cell is bipolar. One side is positive and the other side negative.

Yes there is 3 between each + & - plates.

BoyntonStu
03-07-2009, 01:02 PM
it was all theory lads.

I did a bit of research on the net after going to an interview to a company who reckon they are going to be manufacturing cells and set up for automotive and domestic sectors.

Also i changed the plate shape to polygon, no really credable reason for this only they will be cheaper to manufacture as they nest better on a sheet.

I also wanted to ask, What would the difference be if i made all my plates out of 304 and 316L stainless? I ask this as 316 is quite expensive over here in the UK. Shame we cant use ali as its muck cheap.

Gareth

Does any shape plate nest better than a square shape?

How about gaskets?

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q339/BoyntonStu/AmoebaCellat451-27-09001.jpg

BoyntonStu

gareth01422
03-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Does any shape plate nest better than a square shape?

How about gaskets?

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q339/BoyntonStu/AmoebaCellat451-27-09001.jpg

BoyntonStu

Ok BoytonStu,

Nesting all depends on you base material sheet, i know a guy who has a sheet, but its not square. So ive had to sort of work round that.

Gaskets are still in the design too. but as for nesting they would have to be bought in so a square shape would make a better nest.

jesus ive just had another design vision........ back to the old CAD designing again.