PDA

View Full Version : Ideal water temperature?

shaketheroom
07-04-2008, 11:48 PM
How is gas production effected by temperature?

Does cooler water produce more gas?

Higher temps mean more amps, but does it also mean more gas?

dennis13030
07-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Higher temperature water is less resistive. When the resistance of the electrolyte decreases current through the plates increases. You will get more production of HHO gas at the expense of input power to the electrolyzer.

In many systems, if you monitor the current of the gas production over time you find the following;
1. With a room temperature start, you will get X amount of current and Y amount of gas production.
2. In time, the applied current raises the temperature of the unit causing lower resistance and even higher current. With more current you do get more gas production.
3. Assuming that the system can handle the high temperatures, eventually the temperature will stabilize and the gas production.

Sometimes the system can not handle the higher temps.

rmptr
07-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Hee Hee!:D

...'Someone' is coming to see the use of PWM's as valuable tool...

Best

timetowinarace
07-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Another consideration is that higher temps excite the electrons (they move faster) holding the water molecules together. The faster they go, the less stable they are. Thus they are easier to seperate from the molecules and higher production results.

My limited knowledge of such things leads me to the opinion that heat is not an enemy of hho production with the exception of the loss of energy that creates the heat. Materials that cannot handle the heat appear to be the enemy.

rmptr
07-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree, TTWR,

That heat is a sign of lost energy...
Power consumed in excess...
and it's loading the charging system inordinantly, which will lead to premature failure, which we can not afford!

Heat leading to structural component failure sure could make a mess of someone's expensive automobile. NOT good!

GOT to have control of the process!

Best

dennis13030
07-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Another consideration is that higher temps excite the electrons (they move faster) holding the water molecules together. The faster they go, the less stable they are. Thus they are easier to seperate from the molecules and higher production results.

My limited knowledge of such things leads me to the opinion that heat is not an enemy of hho production with the exception of the loss of energy that creates the heat. Materials that cannot handle the heat appear to be the enemy.

When we talk about ENERGY IN vs. ENERGY OUT we are talking about efficiency of the system. If we add 10% more Watts of power to get 5% more gas production(the other 5% went to heat), then what did we gain?

Heat, in this type of system, is a loss of efficiency. Unless you can use the heat for another beneficial purpose.

rmptr
07-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Another GREAT thread!

This is fun!

We've got members in all climate zones with a wide range of ambient temperatures, at least coming out of the gate...

One can only go so far with the Level One experiment.
Adjusting HHO production via temperature influenced amperage draw by electrolyte manipulation and plate arrangement... etc.

LoL! I'm trying to promote some sort of structure for the basic experiment based upon no more than a few types of vessel, then basic plate arrangement and standard electrolyte mix.

I saw PlumaBob's 6x6 cpvc electrical junction box at the hardware, today. Nice box, but it's $22.00. That would get me two cases of Ball Mason jars! I hope to sell a unit to cover my materials. Then I'll step up to further experiments.

Best

Stratous
07-05-2008, 04:29 PM
LOL, Thats why I am building the Polycarbonate units. I have sold 4 of them so far.