PDA

View Full Version : DC/DC converter for hydrogen generation with 12 volts input

protecheqp
02-25-2009, 02:27 PM
http://www.powerstream.com/dc-hydrogen.htm anyone try or know about these units ?

hg2
02-25-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.powerstream.com/dc-hydrogen.htm anyone try or know about these units ?

I saw this the other day on another forum,I'm still digging for more on it,does look interesting doesn't it??? I think it's the same thing as on the link you posted.

Here's the quote I found:

dc to dc converters work great I'm fond of them over a pwm. matching a small inverter and full wave bridge rectifier and small variac in the car too a 15 plate cell does very well. I like whats being done on the new dry cells where the center plate has no holes so it separates the two cells.

I've seen alot of things posted now by bob and I admire his work but I try not to read other peoples work any more than I have too because I'd rather fail and fall flat on my face and learn from it. When I designed the B-cell along time ago I honestly had no idea other people messed with this stuff. I spent thousands of dollars with trial and error until I found something that I liked. I think everyone has there own designs and as long as it achieves your own personal goal for your application that's what matters.

Now that I have read bobs PDF chapter ten and I'm putting together a Boyce box of my own I find it very interesting. I learned a lot from bob including the importance of crosshatching and proper plate conditioning which is a science in itself. I'll be coming out with a new line of cells by the summer that will be my current work. I have not seen anyone do anything similar yet which is encouraging too me.

As far as using the dc to dc converters I feel there better than any PWM I've seen but I would think that a small inverter variac and full wave bridge rectifier would give better results in the car. Inverters aren't that expensive for lower plate count cells

protecheqp
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
you know i have been using my inverter welder as a test power supply and to tell you ........its amazing at the hho output i get on the bench. Thats how i came to find this i was looking for a smaller unit dc to dc

protecheqp
02-25-2009, 10:22 PM
this should get so much more attention if we are to move on quickly ...

oicu812
02-25-2009, 11:02 PM
I saw this the other day on another forum,I'm still digging for more on it,does look interesting doesn't it??? I think it's the same thing as on the link you posted.

Here's the quote I found:

dc to dc converters work great I'm fond of them over a pwm. matching a small inverter and full wave bridge rectifier and small variac in the car too a 15 plate cell does very well. I like whats being done on the new dry cells where the center plate has no holes so it separates the two cells.

I've seen alot of things posted now by bob and I admire his work but I try not to read other peoples work any more than I have too because I'd rather fail and fall flat on my face and learn from it. When I designed the B-cell along time ago I honestly had no idea other people messed with this stuff. I spent thousands of dollars with trial and error until I found something that I liked. I think everyone has there own designs and as long as it achieves your own personal goal for your application that's what matters.

Now that I have read bobs PDF chapter ten and I'm putting together a Boyce box of my own I find it very interesting. I learned a lot from bob including the importance of crosshatching and proper plate conditioning which is a science in itself. I'll be coming out with a new line of cells by the summer that will be my current work. I have not seen anyone do anything similar yet which is encouraging too me.

As far as using the dc to dc converters I feel there better than any PWM I've seen but I would think that a small inverter variac and full wave bridge rectifier would give better results in the car. Inverters aren't that expensive for lower plate count cells

I read up on your B cell design...great work ! I always wonder if a series cell might be the way to go. stan meyer used a series type cell design with his voltage intensifier circuit. he used straight tap water and his cell acted as a water capasitor. we're pretty much taking the oppisite approach using brute force and building water resistors.

Gary Diamond
02-26-2009, 12:28 AM
To run it, is he say put all the plates in parallel and then play with the voltage level from 1.5 volts to 5 volts

well that's easy to do on a bench with a old computer 5 volt supply just put diodes in series with the cell get high current ones for free from old car alternators

You can make your own ckt to get it from the car battery, if it works. Unless you want to waste power from your battery with this device someone is selling, wasting power is the same as leakage, a waste

hg2
02-26-2009, 12:43 AM
you know i have been using my inverter welder as a test power supply and to tell you ........its amazing at the hho output i get on the bench. Thats how i came to find this i was looking for a smaller unit dc to dc

I've seen welders being used and they do make production rock,the hard part though is getting it off the bench and on the vehicle.They do make alternators that are capable of that kind of power,but the cost and the HP loss makes them impractical.

http://www.zena.net/htdocs/welders/weld_pic.shtml#Top

http://www.zena.net/htdocs/welders/weldspec.shtml#Specs

hg2
02-26-2009, 12:57 AM
I read up on your B cell design...great work ! I always wonder if a series cell might be the way to go. stan meyer used a series type cell design with his voltage intensifier circuit. he used straight tap water and his cell acted as a water capasitor. we're pretty much taking the oppisite approach using brute force and building water resistors.

You must have seen it on another forum,I posted the thread on the B-Cell here but it was met with fierce opposition and unproductive postings so I removed it.I agree with you that it's a step in the right direction to losing the need for electrolytes eventually.

Q-Hack!
02-26-2009, 01:04 AM

Keep in mind that this is not a PWM. So you can't just run maximum electrolyte saturation in your cell and expect this to work. If your cell wants to draw 50 amps and the maximum current the DC/DC converter allows is only 32 amps; you will burn up the converter.

The nice thing about a PWM is that if you need 50 amps, it will give it to you, but for a limited amount of time. This is how it limits you down to an "effective" 30 amps.

From the article this device is only 70 percent efficient. That means, for the same production of HHO your alternator has to work 30% harder than when you use straight voltage. The only thing this does is make it possible to use less unconnected (neutral) plates. ie. on a 12V system you would want +|||||- and using the DC/DC converter set a 4v you would want +|-
To get the same surface area and roughly the same production rates would require a configuration of +|-|+|-

In my mind, this just isn't worth the cost.

protecheqp
02-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Keep in mind that this is not a PWM. So you can't just run maximum electrolyte saturation in your cell and expect this to work. If your cell wants to draw 50 amps and the maximum current the DC/DC converter allows is only 32 amps; you will burn up the converter.

The nice thing about a PWM is that if you need 50 amps, it will give it to you, but for a limited amount of time. This is how it limits you down to an "effective" 30 amps.

From the article this device is only 70 percent efficient. That means, for the same production of HHO your alternator has to work 30% harder than when you use straight voltage. The only thing this does is make it possible to use less unconnected (neutral) plates. ie. on a 12V system you would want +|||||- and using the DC/DC converter set a 4v you would want +|-
To get the same surface area and roughly the same production rates would require a configuration of +|-|+|-

In my mind, this just isn't worth the cost.

ah guy you still in old school pwm is a dc control a pulse using the same amps and power as what you are regulated too a inverter pumps ...amps ... we realy need to test this sucker out before we try to kill it ,,now I have bben using a inverter 90 v0lts dc and 0 - 100 amps range but it will not stay alive on reg 110 volts ac with 15 amps so i get maybe half to work with .

hell i go 17 amps and there is nothing like it on the web for production in any kind of cell check out the picks in my posted cell

hijk839
07-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Wow..nice and interesting. i will try it later. Thanks for sharing information. Thanks for the comment, are you talking about the whole designing or a part of? Not bad. Have you done this type of stuff often? It seems like it. i like the idea but how do members of the public remove there details. stainless steel pipe (http://www.steelpipes-china.com/)

Q-Hack!
07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
ah guy you still in old school pwm is a dc control a pulse using the same amps and power as what you are regulated too a inverter pumps ...amps ... we realy need to test this sucker out before we try to kill it ,,now I have bben using a inverter 90 v0lts dc and 0 - 100 amps range but it will not stay alive on reg 110 volts ac with 15 amps so i get maybe half to work with .

hell i go 17 amps and there is nothing like it on the web for production in any kind of cell check out the picks in my posted cell

Well, go ahead and do your test... however anybody with a modicum of electronics background will tell you that inverters and converters waste energy. But, don't take my word for it.

PeteVamped
07-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for sharing this protecheap I may just have to test this out before my next build to see how it does. Nice find

marchlabs
09-06-2009, 10:01 PM
seems dumb! why would you want to go down in voltage?

a series cell divides voltage .. so the higher the voltage the easier it is to get high gas outputs.. with 1.8-4 Volts you limited to 2 plates!

think about it..

jeremy
www.marchlabs.com
www.hybridconversions.com

Philldpapill
09-10-2009, 10:08 PM
If there is enough demand for one, I'll design you guys a high power switching power supply, or a "DC/DC" converter. It would just be a small box with a dial to adjust the output voltage - easily mountable in the vehicle. I'm making an AC to DC step down converter that should handle up to 100V, or 50A, with ~90% conversion efficiency.

If anyone is intersted, let me know. You're not obligated to buy one, but I'd just like to know what kind of demand there would be. I'm an EE by trade btw, so it won't be some half-patched thing thrown together.

Philldpapill
09-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Ouch! Just checked out that DC/DC converter from Powerstream... They make good products, but whoa... $188? Mine would be about half that, same quality.