PDA

View Full Version : Help with Optimum Electrode

Chimeraone
07-05-2008, 02:59 PM
I am a new member to this forum. My background is in mechanical and electronic engineering as well as industrial design. I put myself through college by working in a Tool and Die shop and I stayed current in all the Manufacturing techniques. I retired early from Corporate America to start a one person Audio Business. http://www.chimeralabs.com/

I have vendors that provide CNC, Water Jet, Laser Cut and Fabricated parts for my products at very reasonable prices. My hobby is restoring old cars and motorcycles. I have three SAAB 96 cars that provide 36 to 45 mpg and I am interested in converting one of them to an HHO system.

I have read a lot of the postings but I am far from an expert on optimizing HHO performance. I am interested in receiving feedback to determine the best way to increase the mileage in my vehicles.

I am staring my analysis with determining the ideal electrodes. I hope other forum members could share their expertise. I am not interested in marketing HHO parts or systems and I would be happy to make the parts available to anyone who wants to use them. I like to start with a blank sheet of paper and detemine the Optimum Elements regardless of cost, then figure out ways to make them affordable. I have broken down the electrode analysis to Material, Shape, Size, Finish, Stack Configuration and Electrical Connections. I thought I would start with Material and Shape to begin with.

Electrodes - Optimum based on Efficiency, Cost, Life Span and Ease of Assembly

Material – Stainless Steel seems to be preferred with 304 used but 316 preferred due to a higher Nickel content but costs are prohibitive?

Good List of various Stainless Types. Note 200 which is 100% Nickel
http://www.mechanicalmetals.com/stainlesssteel_alloyspecs.html

Option ? Have 304 Nickel Plated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroless_nickel_plating

Would Nickel Plating increase HHO output?

Would Nickel Plating increase Life Span?

Would Nickel Plating allow the use of other Base Metals like aluminum or steel? Aluminum has much better conductivity but is that important?

Shape – Stacked Flat Rectangular Plates seems to be considered Optimum

Would plates made from 1/2" or 7/8” Corrugated Metal Panels provide any improvement in performance, Note supplier link also carries 1.25” X 6” Stainless tiles. http://www.mechanicalmetals.com/wallroof.html

Preformed of flat sheet can be water jet or laser cut economically to any shape or size and maintain the flatness of the finished plates and no burrs on the edges.

Corners and Edges – Are radius corners and edges better than sharp corners?

Thanks, Dennis . . .

rmptr
07-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Welcome Chimera,
Sounds like you are well qualified amongst the group!

I would advise the standard size plates most are using, and the standard vessel for the cell. Everyone can be on the same page and offer each other more assistance without dealing with a never ending list of variables.

How's that sound?:)

I think it's probably good to at least dress the edge of the plates.
Many feel there is a contributing magnetic field and sharp or irregular edges could possibly be detrimental to electron flow???

Best

Chimeraone
07-05-2008, 03:56 PM
I think using the "standard" plate size and "standard" vessel size might be a very good starting point.

Now I just need feedback on what the standard size and standard vessel is?

Thanks,

Dennis

Stratous
07-05-2008, 04:17 PM
The chromium content in stainless steel alloys is what generally prevents corrosion. Pure iron, the primary element of stainless steel, is extracted from its natural state as iron ore, it is unstable by itself, and naturally wants to corrode (rust). The chromium helps to procrastinate nature's attempts to combine the pure iron with oxygen and water to form rust.
Nickel is normally not the main ingrediant in stainless, FOr instance, 302 SS is Iron, 18% Chromium and 8% nickel.

Platnum, graphite and carbon make excellent electrodes, but are pretty expensive. I wonder though if a more conductive electrode like graphite would work better than stainless. I would decide on which material you want to use, then design your electrode structure and once you have that all worked out, build or buy an enclosure to fit your design. Keep in mind the enclosure needs to be able to handle heat and caustic materials. Ideally a high grade plastic or if you have the ability to cut glass. Glass in my opinion is the best, but its difficult to work with. Stainless steel would make a good enclosure as well, but would be expensive to build.

geobushono
07-06-2008, 02:46 PM
here's some stuff coming from GE Global Research:
Popular Mechanics/6-08

.........ALSO:

Technology Review
May 2006
--Hydrogen On The Cheap--
by
David Talbot