PDA

View Full Version : constructing a cell - got lost somewhere

torinalth
07-05-2008, 04:49 PM
OK, I am trying to wrap my head around this before I even start obtaining materials. I got the science aspect, fine, but its the mechanics that I am losing something.

regardless of cell type be it box or tube you have plates that are inside the case. the plates are either connected to the + battery lead or the - battery lead. depending on the config there might be no (N) charge on it. k. here is where I am lost. How do you get a charge from the + or - to the N plate (as I have been reading it seems they need to register current as well). Does it get current from an arc from the nearest higher charged plate by way of the aided solute, or is there a physical connection.... say a metal rod going through all of them, but just parts of the system are charged and it bleeds off as it gets farther?

for some reason I just can not wrap my head around this aspect of the build. I mean I can build a fairly simple one quickly to test some theory, but I'd rather not waste 40 bucks an just spend the money rightly to get it done the first time. I have a few build ideas as long as I can get the fundamentals down.

T

Stratous
07-05-2008, 06:31 PM
OK, I am trying to wrap my head around this before I even start obtaining materials. I got the science aspect, fine, but its the mechanics that I am losing something.

regardless of cell type be it box or tube you have plates that are inside the case. the plates are either connected to the + battery lead or the - battery lead. depending on the config there might be no (N) charge on it. k. here is where I am lost. How do you get a charge from the + or - to the N plate (as I have been reading it seems they need to register current as well). Does it get current from an arc from the nearest higher charged plate by way of the aided solute, or is there a physical connection.... say a metal rod going through all of them, but just parts of the system are charged and it bleeds off as it gets farther?

for some reason I just can not wrap my head around this aspect of the build. I mean I can build a fairly simple one quickly to test some theory, but I'd rather not waste 40 bucks an just spend the money rightly to get it done the first time. I have a few build ideas as long as I can get the fundamentals down.

T

The neutral plates take the same polarity as the nearest charged plate. This is done through the electrolyte solution. The "water" is your conductor in this circuit. The more electrolyte you add to the water the less resistance the water has. The water also connects the + plates to the - plates. The Nuetral plate will provide a voltage drop of about 1 to 1.5 volts per plate between the + and - plates. so a circuit of +NNN-NNN+ is basically two circuits in series. if you measure the voltage from the - to the + it should read about 3 volts. You can measure the voltage on each N plate by touching the lead of a multi meter to the + plate and to the N plate. I hope this makes sense to you.

torinalth
07-05-2008, 09:24 PM
aye, makes perfect sense. as far as holding the plates in place and preventing them from touching. what is the best situation: someting like a nylon bolt with O-Rings as spacers, or cut grooves into the case holding the plates in place. I'll probably start small and grab something like an electrical box for the case.

one other thing I was wondering. how fast does the liquid break down and need to be refilled? and is there a danger from running out of fluid?

T

rmptr
07-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Easiest is nylon bolt w/ nylon spacers.

Some use a dab of silicone on all corners and let it set up completely before install to keep plates separated.

6x6x6 cpvc electrical box is $22

Ball mason 32oz widemouth is under $2
Dozen plastic caps is $4

Your choice!

As you read through the threads here, you'll discover all the info IS here.

Unless over amped, and overheated, you should not need to replace electrolyte solution for at least 6 months customary 'on time'.

Best

Omega
07-06-2008, 09:31 PM
"Unless over amped, and overheated, you should not need to replace electrolyte solution for at least 6 months customary 'on time'."

I'm not so sure about this. Until proven otherwise, I would think it prudent to check the electrolyte every hour of operation when first running a new cell and daily after that. Once a usage/consumption pattern has been established, then check less frequently.

Since electrolyte level is a safety issue (low electrolyte can lead to an arc in the HHO generator causing a violent explosion) as well as a functional issue, it is very important to keep a close eye on the electrolyte level.