PDA

View Full Version : Isn't NASA electrolysis good enough for us?

BoyntonStu
03-08-2009, 08:02 PM
NASA uses electrolysis to generate breathable oxygen.

This is life or death, not a few MPG increase for your car.

Wouldn't the HHO technology used by NASA be sufficient for us?

BoyntonStu

DrBrown
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm willing to bet we could build the same thing NASA uses cheaper. We can deduct this from our taxes so we would have no reason to pay $100 per stainless bolt hehe. Any links to the info showing how/where NASA is using electrolysis?

velorossa22
04-05-2009, 07:53 PM
I wonder what they use to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen?

mytoyotasucks
04-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I wonder what they use to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen?

http://aquarius.nasa.gov/pdfs/electrolysis.pdf

truckman1966
04-28-2009, 05:26 PM
so where do we get a Proton-Conducting Membrane?

Q-Hack!
04-28-2009, 09:43 PM
so where do we get a Proton-Conducting Membrane?

Have you ever looked at how many different patents are taken out on the various different versions of Proton-Conducting Membranes? I think every body who has ever studied fuel cell technology has there own patent. It would be a nightmare to try and build your own without getting sued.

HYDROTEKPRO
04-29-2009, 01:03 AM
A much simpler way of separating the component gases (like some HHO kit manufacturers already do!) is to build the cell so gas from one side of the plate goes to one place, and gas from the other side of the plate goes to another, separated place. This imposes considerable design parameters that the NASA design most likely didn't follow, opting for a special membrane, so it seems.

The easiest way to look at the current NASA electrolysis cell is to take a ride up on the next space shuttle with your camera and send us pictures and video. Surely they have an excellent internet connection up there!:D

truckman1966
04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
well next time i'm up there i'll snap a few. ;)