PDA

View Full Version : plate passivation

redrat100
03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
I have read in other posts regarding the benefits of plate preparation. Something I have done when designing stainless steel parts for vacuum systems is call out a note that the parts be passivated. This is a process that happens after machining to "remove “free iron” contamination on the surface of stainless steel from machining and fabricating". The link below has a good explanation of what passivation does and a good pdf reference document.

http://www.iftworldwide.com/solutions/passivation.htm

I intend on trying this in the future on my next build. I suspect that the "free iron" removed by passivation is that same iron that causes the rust colored goo that some people are experinceing during plate conditioning. My intention is to run two cells, one with passivated plates, the other not and observe the difference in electrolyte color. Will keep you posted.

Painless
03-10-2009, 10:03 PM
That's an interesting process. I particularly am interested in the part that talks about the process developing a protective film.

Looking forward to your results and a description of the approach you took to passivate the plates.
Russ.

walkauai
03-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks for some very valuable information.