PDA

View Full Version : Electrolyzer Design: Very Low Voltage & High Current

dennis13030
07-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Has anyone ever tried to use an electrolyzer using low voltages like 1.00V or close to this? I wonder if efficiency is better using very low voltages and high currents(like 100 Amps@1.0V).

Or maybe 100 Amps@0.1V??

Phantom240
07-06-2008, 09:58 PM
If I remember correctly, you need something like 1.4v to create HHO.

More or less, the object of neutrals along with running generators in series rather than parallel drops the voltage going through the electrolyzer, to produce less heat and drop current draw.

jousterusa
07-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I bought a small 12v, 1.3mA/hr battery from BatteriesPlus to test my kit, and it produced HHO quite readily. So did a 9v battery. AAs wouldn't do it. I think the threshold for production may have more to do with electrolytes than amperage or voltage. The 9v really heated up. In fact, I think you could get a 12v 7.3mA/hr battery from BatteriesPlus and set it up to run the HHO Generator separately from the battery. A 1000w charger costs $24, so you'd need to recharge the battery every 7.5 hrs, but it wouldn't take long. Few people drive 7.5 hrs at a time without stopping for lunch or something. By the time lunch was over it would be charged.

Wako216
07-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Ive thought this very same thing, I know what dennis is saying start with 1.5v and high amps instead of using neutrals to chip away at 12v if you start with 1.5v you could run a +- setup run in parallel. at least you would know you werent losing any voltage to heat. does anyone know how you setup down a 12v system ?

dennis13030
07-07-2008, 10:19 PM
If I had the bench power supply I could do this. A good one that has the right capabilities runs between $500 and $1000. Most of this expense is due to needing a wide range of voltage/current and programmability. To run a matrix of tests, the programmability is a must.

PAPAFIXIT
07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Radio Shack, years ago when the CB craze was in, I purchased a resistor, or whatever you call it, to reduce 12v to 6v.

timetowinarace
07-08-2008, 12:22 PM
First off, our vehicle electrical systems will not produce nor handle current @ 100amps for very long without some serious electronics. The simplest way to do it is the standard 12V DC to 120V AC inverter and build a circut to take it back to DC and use a PWM after that because the system still cannot handle high current. The Pulse gives the caps time to recharge and can be utilized to pulse at the resonant frequency of the cell.

Second, why electronicly reduce voltage when you can use it with N plates or a series of cells for more plate area and production? Voltage, in basic terms, is the 'force' that pushes current. No voltage = no current. The more resistive a circut is, the more voltage is required to push the current through. While it may only take 1.4V to push 20amps through a set of two plates, it would require 2.8V to push the same 20amps through a set of four plates in series and production is doubled.

I would tend to go the oppisite way. High voltage, low current. It is easy to step or step down voltage. In a auto, our sustainable current is limited.

dennis13030
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
For the moment, I am just finding out if anyone has tried this. I'm on a quest to determine what setup creates the most efficient electrolyzer. At this time it is not intended to be put in a car or otherwise.

Here is my goal

Minimize the input power!

AND

Maximize HHO production!

timetowinarace
07-08-2008, 01:29 PM
It's a good goal.

It stands to reason that given enough plate area more amps = more production.

Wako216
07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I think Im with timeto we should be happy we have 12-14v to play with and basically can utilize neutral plates to step down the voltage.

borescopeit
02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Here is my goal

Minimize the input power!

AND

Maximize HHO production!

This is my goal too... and everybody's as well....

I was able to get 3LPM out of 14.2VDC @ 45AMP. Is it a usual thing?
My goal is to get 20LPM out of 14.2VDC @ max. 80AMP on my 12L diesel semi-truck with 220AMPH alternator. :)

BioFarmer93
02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Hey Scope,
Welcome to the board. I read your personals and see that you have a 66 plate system- good. For more production re-arrange your connection scheme to create a unipolar system. If you're still using neutral plates then you are running a bipolar system. Since you have 66 plates you actually have enough to do it properly.
Like: (+-+-+-+-+-+)_(-+-+-+-+-+-)_(+-+-+-+-+-+)_and so on 3 more times to make 6 groups of 11 plates each. Yes, there is more plumbing, and yes it will take as many amps as you care or can spare to throw at it, but it will make lots more HHO at any amperage level without ever even beginning to overheat. Did you build your system or buy it? The reason I ask is that if it is a purchased system and you ask the builders about this "new" connection arrangement, chances are that they will poo-poo it and say that there is no way it's as good as their method (wrong, it's better) simply because they are not familiar with it. You can extend your mileage as well with water mist injection (post turbo) and 12volt ozone generators (pre turbo). How digital is your rig? Are you going to be getting error signals to a computer if you do this stuff?

BioFarmer93
02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
(everyone) HI RON!! WELCOME TO HHOA! We're here for you brother...

lhazleton
02-28-2011, 05:29 PM
LOL.......Gus, your sickness is showing again............;)