PDA

View Full Version : Electrolyzer Design: Using A Constant Current Source

dennis13030
07-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Has anyone ever tried using a constant current source instead of a battery?

This is where current is fixed at a value like 5 Amps. What varies is the total voltage. In this mode the voltage varies but the temperature and gas production stay the same.

Stratous
07-06-2008, 06:55 PM
I dont have the ability to experiment in this manner. Need more moneyz for more toyz!!!!

rzone
07-09-2008, 05:34 AM
Has anyone ever tried using a constant current source instead of a battery?

This is where current is fixed at a value like 5 Amps. What varies is the total voltage. In this mode the voltage varies but the temperature and gas production stay the same.

The current source is the best way but not linear because the electronics will have to handle huge amount of power that is wasted as heat in final stages (transistors). I didn't found yet a transistor that can handle 30 amps dc @12V long time. So far pwm is the best compromise. A nice approach is pwm with regulated amperage. Right now I'm trying various cell config (I'm new to hho :)) playing with O2 sensor - this is interesting because some cars like my jetta is running lean and enriching the mixture just a little bit can actually increase mpg. When I figure things out I will post them.

rzone
07-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Update:
It looks like somebody already was thinking about it:
http://zerofossilfuel.googlepages.com/index.html
schematics page