PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone experimented with copper ionized water

tadpole
03-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Not sure if this would work.... just thinking out loud......

I used to have a ionizer on my pool which copper modules into my pool which didn't allow algae to grow, I had for over a year it worked great........... anyways, would the copper in the water make the water more conductive?

Just wondering before I start heading in the wrong direction..........

Painless
03-13-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm thinking that it would. I'm also thinking that the copper would end up being electroplated on the anode and would thus need to be replenished.

How does the device that adds the copper work? Can you provide anymore info?

As with all these things, its always worth a try.

Russ.

tadpole
03-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I will, but if you wanted to learn more research pool ionizers... i'll tell you what I come with

tadpole
03-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I found this:

How are copper-silver ions produced?

Copper-silver ionization is brought about by electrolysis. An electric current is created through copper-silver, causing positively charged copper and silver ions to form.
Copper-silver ionization brings us back to basic chemistry: an ion; an electrically charged atom, has a positive charge when it gives up an electron and a negative charge when it takes up an electron. A positively charged ion in called a kation and a negatively charged ion is calles an anion. During ionization, atoms turn into kations or anions. When copper-silver ionization is applied, positively charged copper (Cu+ and Cu2+) and silver (Ag+) ions are formed.
The electrodes are placed close together. The water that is disinfected flows past the electrodes. An electric current is created, causing the outer atoms of the electrodes to lose an electron and become positively charged. The larger part of the ions flows away through the water, before reaching the opposite electrode. Generally the amount of silver ions at a copper ion rate of 0,15 to 0,40 ppm lies between 5 and 50 ppb.
The ion concentration is determined by the water flow. The number of ions that is released increases, when electric charges are higher.
When copper ions (Cu+) dissolve in water, they are oxidized immediately to form Cu2+ ions. Copper can be found in the water in free form. It is commonly bond to water particles. Copper (Cu+) ions are unstable in water, unless a stabilizing ligand is present

tadpole
03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Upon further study,

Ions are want make water conductive, thus when salt is added to water that salt ions moving freely in the water is what conducts the electricity. So adding copper ions should have the same effect. I still have yet to construct my first cell, ( thurs. ) hopefully, but if anyone wants to try it, it is very simple to put the copper ions into water : All you do is run a electrical current through a piece of copper ( like a pipe) and stick in some water, make sure the electrical connection is not touching the water. You should see the copper ions coming of the pipe, I do not know for how long, it would depend on the amount of charge you where running through it.

Tad