PDA

View Full Version : Cooling

ranger2.3
07-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi Everyone, I have a question about cooling systems. The Electrolyte that I use Is Sodium Bicarbonate(Baking Soda) and I wondered If I were to circulate the water In the HHO generator through copper tubing, would it corrode?

Stratous
07-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Everyone, I have a question about cooling systems. The Electrolyte that I use Is Sodium Bicarbonate(Baking Soda) and I wondered If I were to circulate the water In the HHO generator through copper tubing, would it corrode?

The sodium bicarb wont hurt the copper by itself, but copper will break down during electrolysis. The process of electrolysys is how they purify copper after its mined. The sodium bicarb will break down into sodium carbonate and carbon dioxide. This is what your positive electrode will look like after a short time.

Phantom240
07-06-2008, 10:00 PM
The sodium bicarb wont hurt the copper by itself, but copper will break down during electrolysis. The process of electrolysys is how they purify copper after its mined. The sodium bicarb will break down into sodium carbonate and carbon dioxide. This is what your positive electrode will look like after a short time.

I think he's asking if he can use the copper tubing to circulate the water to cool it.

Stratous
07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I dont think the sodium bicarb will hurt the copper then assuming that the copper tubing is isolated from the electrolyzer circuits.

ranger2.3
07-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Yes that is what I mean, copper tubing running into the cell and pumping the water/electrolyte solution out into a copper "radiator", and back into the cell.

scottyhho
07-15-2008, 02:30 PM
It seems like it might work. I am playing around with a cooling system myself. Other than messing with the power (i am running on 15 amps) does any body have any simple ideas?