PDA

View Full Version : Holes in plates for flow

velorossa22
03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
For a dry cell what are you guys using for holes in the plates? I have been using wall plates with the 6/32 holes, but I'm changing to the flat plates. What size and how many holes are you guys using for best electrolyte flow vs current leakage. I'm looking for best MMW while maintaining a reasonable cost ( like I can't see no holes being a very cheap alternative). Sorry for all the questions guys but why learn from your own mistakes when you can learn from someone elses?:D

velorossa22
03-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Using 7x3.25" plates I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom and in the top. The cell seemed to run with the electrolyte filling to about 1/3-1/2 way up the plate. It seems that maybe the plate aren't reaching full potential of surface area since the electrolyte is only reaching about half the surface area. I'm thinking either about increasing the size of the 2 holes, or adding 2 more holes and when I build another dry cell having the 7" be the width instead of the height. I'm thinking it would increase the output if I could do that.

BoyntonStu
03-29-2009, 11:41 AM
A single 1/4" hole at the top seems to be sufficient for 2 LPM out of 15 6x6 plates.

(One 1/4 hole on one end plate bottom.)

13.2 V 24 A.

BoyntonStu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4xkkd5hA-w

Amoeba Cell in diamond and horizontal positions compared.

woodsmithca
04-05-2009, 01:14 PM
My plates have 1/2" holes drilled top and bottom ( one at each end) and i am using 3/8" hoses. My plates are 3" x 6". My production is about 1 lpm.

What i am wondering is if 1/4" holes in the plates and 1/4" hoses would yield better hydrogen production.

Thanks

velorossa22
04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I would think 1/2" holes would allow more flow b/c less backpressure. THere might be more heat produced though. I wouldn't switch to 1/4 holes and fittings though. Are your 3x6 plates sitting where the 6" is the tall part or are you doing it where 6" is the wide part. Mine is 7x3.5 w/5/16th holes. It's 7" tall. I was thinking it might get better mmw when sitting in it's side b/c it seems like electrolyte only goes about 1/2 way up. Maybe it would get more surface area with electrolyte laying sideways. Woodsmith how much amperage are you drawing with your cell?

woodsmithca
04-05-2009, 09:21 PM
My plates are 3" wide and 6" high.
My configuration is -NNNNNN+NNNNNN-NNNNNN+NNNNNN-.
Bench test as follows
20 amps
1.2 lpm output
167 degrees f (cause i am in a shed with cell sitting on the shelf - no air flow)
But it takes about 2 hrs to reach that temp.
Just installed on my 1/2 ton truck saturday using 3/8" hosing.

Herman

velorossa22
04-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Your mmw is 4.28 which isn't bad. Your running 6 neutrals which might be making your voltage drop less than 2v per cell. If I were you I'd remove a neutral and make it 5 neutrals between + and -.