PDA

View Full Version : Potassium Carbonate

Grasack
03-18-2009, 04:49 AM
This was brought up last year and nothing ever eventuated. I have been in contact with "myhydrogencar" on you tube as he has been testing Potassium Carbonate
It is a much safer catalyst than KOH or NaOH.
He has found that the production is just as good and he has been running his cell in the car for more than 3 weeks.
The only cons are 1) you need 5 times the amount as compared with KOH and 2) a slight yellowish colouring has taken place
Has anybody else tried Pottassium Carbonate and what sort of results did you get ??
I am waiting to get some Pot. Carb. to try in my generator and when I test I will post results:)

Hans H
03-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Ya bud... I was reading on ebay that someone thought potassium phosphate was great enuf to try to market. I couldn't find any locally and didn't want to pay shipping otherwise... someone jump in! I've been runing tri sodium phosphate now for probably 6wks and it is just now starting to get dirty at 10amp running warm. Have electrolyte coming from T.E.N.S. (google) supplier. Let's get this dirty electrolyte monkey whipped.

Grasack
05-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Well I have got some results using pot carb and they are disappointing to me

Firstly the MMW has dropped down to the 4.5's (2.0 drop ) and there is severe pitting on my solid + plates, some thing that I have not experienced with KOH

The MMW drop could be, in part, due to change in configuration of plates but there is the brown residue build up which is quite pronounced, after only being used for a total of 30 hours.

So it would appear that pot carb may be okay for 316l ss plates but for use on 304 ss plates I will be returning to KOH

Although it appears to be a failure it is also a further info that can be used by others in their quest for HHO production

I will keep you informed of my progress as I will return to my original specs with the exception that the gaskets will be 1.5mm instead of the previous 3.0 mm

Hans H
05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Am now running vinegar(1/4 cup) with about 1/2 tsp trisodium phosphate to boost the amps and bubbles, but am not happy about the brown crap again.
Have potassium carbonate coming.(used to raise the pH of wine). Does anyone know how to make sodium acetate? A guy on one of the video forums says he got a vinegar and baking soda and hydrogen peroxide formula to run clean. I tried it several ways and got the rust bloom in 30 min.

Q-Hack!
05-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Keep in mind that Potassium Carbonate releases carbon dioxide gas.

K2CO3 + H2O yields 2KOH + CO2

Eventually you will be left with KOH in aqueous solution. In my mind its better to start with KOH and not put the carbon dioxide gas into the atmosphere.

The idea that its safer is preposterous.

Hans H
06-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, I finally got some potassium carbonate from a wine making supply; the short take on how it worked out, is that it was just CRUMMY! Instantly!
Once again, if people are recommending it, they must know something that I don't. Good luck all.