PDA

View Full Version : saturation point of NAOH

dlynds
03-21-2009, 03:07 PM
I would like to know how much NAOH crystals (Per Tsp) can be added to 1 US gallon of water to reach the saturation point.

truckman1966
04-24-2009, 08:23 PM
i would also like to know. just bought a lb of lye AKA NaOH

H2OPWR
04-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I would like to know how much NAOH crystals (Per Tsp) can be added to 1 US gallon of water to reach the saturation point.

I am not sure what the actual saturation point is but I do know that you do not want to go past 28% by weight. You get to a point where the NaOH will actually slow down production of HHO.

Larry

truckman1966
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
with the original baking soda mix i was running 128:1 water to baking soda. maybe i will start there. if anyone else has used it maybe they could chime in with their mix ratio? (nudge nudge)

truckman1966
04-28-2009, 05:32 PM
just switched over to NaOH on my generator. i used 1/2 tsp per gallon of water and it had the same production as 8 tbsp of baking soda per gallon of water. it is actually cheaper to run NaOH. the lb of baking soda i bought was $.99. the lb. of lye i bought was $4.83. you have to use 16 times more baking soda. while the cost is almost 1/5. Therefore the same production costs almost half as much with NaOH.

nocolour
05-28-2009, 05:28 AM
I'm not recommended to use baking soda!

baking soda = Sodium bicarbonate = NaHCO3, Because it content carbon "C". You will get CO2 on out put.

I recommended to use NaOH and KOH, But my personal is using NaOH, Because I can get the pure NaOH easy than KOH. Try to get 99% pure of NaOH or KOH for best electrolysis performance!!!!

Q-Hack!
05-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Generally speaking there is no reason to go any further than what your PWM needs for the current you are running at. If you put in 5 Tbls. of NaOH in a gallon of water and your generator is only drawing 19 amps (assuming you want 20). Then just add one more Tbls. of NaOH. Anything more is really just a waste of resources. Also, the higher the concentration, the higher the risk of chemical burns if you accidentally spill/splash it on you.

A caveat to the above is if you are living in a cold climate. Then maximizing your electrolyte is a good idea to keep it from freezing. This is where 28% by weight is acceptable.

Painless
05-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Generally speaking there is no reason to go any further than what your PWM needs for the current you are running at. If you put in 5 Tbls. of NaOH in a gallon of water and your generator is only drawing 19 amps (assuming you want 20). Then just add one more Tbls. of NaOH. Anything more is really just a waste of resources. Also, the higher the concentration, the higher the risk of chemical burns if you accidentally spill/splash it on you.

A caveat to the above is if you are living in a cold climate. Then maximizing your electrolyte is a good idea to keep it from freezing. This is where 28% by weight is acceptable.
Having accidentally spilled about half a gallon of medium strength electrolyte over my forearms and hands (2 cups KOH in one gallon) I can definitely agree with Q's suggestion here. It wasn't pleasant and looked like I'd tried to run the 100 meter dash while holding a ****ed off rabid kitty cat.

Mulenson
06-22-2009, 11:07 PM
I have just got my setup running. Working on solution strentgh. 7x7 cell. 2 gallon resevior. I have just tried 1 cup NAOH to 1 Gallon water. 18 amps no PWM yet. How do you figure out the percentage for the saturation you are talking about? Any help or ideas will be appricated!

Philldpapill
06-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Hasn't anyone ever plotted a resistance vs. concentration curve? If not, I think I might do that this weekend...

PeteVamped
07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
You bring up a really good point I may have to take some time away from all my other work to figure this out even if it is just for my self.

Q-Hack!
07-09-2009, 05:07 PM
A resistive curve would be helpful to a point. Remember that resistance will change with temperature, so take a temperature reading when you create your curve. In fact I would suggest that you do two curves, one at 70 F and another at 110 F. (21 C and 43 C respectively)

That way you will be able to calculate what your current draw will be at start and after the cell warms up.

Of course if you are using a PWM then the second is not as important.

PeteVamped
07-10-2009, 03:55 AM
A resistive curve would be helpful to a point. Remember that resistance will change with temperature, so take a temperature reading when you create your curve. In fact I would suggest that you do two curves, one at 70 F and another at 110 F. (21 C and 43 C respectively)

That way you will be able to calculate what your current draw will be at start and after the cell warms up.

Of course if you are using a PWM then the second is not as important.your a genious there q-hack thanks for sharing your info