PDA

View Full Version : drain cleaner

Wako216
07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I found a drain cleaner at home depot that has both sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, would this mixture work? would the additives in the cleaner screw things up andhow much of this stuff should I use im currenty running baking soda andlooking for a better electrolyte thanks

Stratous
07-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I have heard of others using the same drain cleaner. I dont know about negative side effects. I would imagine that it would be ok. Just be carful and dont breath the fumes as I am unsure if they are safe.

Wako216
07-08-2008, 03:11 PM
think a tea spoon per gallon or maybe a tea spoon per half gallon would be a good starting point?

lou
07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
How did that work out for you?

hhojoe
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
The ones that say that they contain KOH or NaOH also contain other ingredients that you (and I...) are not aware of. There is one in particular, ROOTO, sold at Ace Hardware stores that is 100% lye. Had my first experience with it yesterday in my unit and got the best production yet and for $4-$5 for a pound it is a great bargain. Personally, I would stay away from the ones that don't specify exactly what's in them.

computerclinic
07-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Is the Lye corrosive enough to eat away at plastics?

Stratous
07-09-2008, 06:51 PM
It is corrosive enough to eat through plastics, but only in a concentrated state. The highly diluted with water version that we use is pretty safe. 1/8 teaspoon per gallon isnt enough to even burn your skin.

hhojoe
07-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Actually, yesterday I accidentally got splashed with a little on my arm and at 1/2 teaspoon in 7 cups of water I felt but a slight tingle. Eye coverage was and is mandatory.

computerclinic
07-09-2008, 09:14 PM
How about vapors on the bench and work area? Is it a bad stench and a poison gas? - Same questions for Sodium Hydroxide.

ridelong
07-16-2008, 01:12 PM
computerclinic,
I use potassium hydroxide, and I actually opened my bottle and inhaled the stuff. The p.h. is an catalyst, so only H,O, and water vapor come out of the jar. The electrolyte keeeps getting stronger as the water is used. I only have to top off with distilled water, not electrolyte, because all of the potassium hydroxide stays in the jar.

ridelong
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM
computerclinic,
I use potassium hydroxide, and I actually opened my bottle and inhaled the stuff. The p.h. is an catalyst, so only H,O, and water vapor come out of the jar. The electrolyte keeeps getting stronger as the water is used. I only have to top off with distilled water, not electrolyte, because all of the potassium hydroxide stays in the jar.

dennis13030
07-16-2008, 04:03 PM
KOH or Potassium Hydroxide is toxic. Be careful with it.
http://store.hvchemical.com/browse.cfm/4,139.html

After looking over lots of material on electrolytes, Potassium Hydroxide does seem to be the best to use(esp. with SS).

I have a couple questions.

1. What mix ratio do you use(or will use)?
2. Where do you get it and how much is it?

ridelong
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Dennis13030,

I use 1/4 tsp potassium hydroxide in 30 oz of distilled in quart jar. Running 2 sets of 6, +nnnn-, my generator draws 4.5 to 5.5 amps.

AAA chemicals, 2lbs for $12.

racer88
07-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Buy naOH - kOh http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/dry.html

hhojoe
07-20-2008, 08:54 PM
KOH or Potassium Hydroxide is toxic. Be careful with it.

1. What mix ratio do you use(or will use)?
2. Where do you get it and how much is it?

I'll answer ya in reverse order...

Got a 2lb tub of KOH off ebay for less than $20 delivered. It's available elsewhere for less but this was convenient. As for the amount, that really depends on the setup. For instance, I have two generators running in parallel, together they hold about 6 cups of water (they share the same 'pool' of electrolyte) and I use 1/4 teaspoon of KOH for a cold draw of 15 amps. If I run them in series I have to pump up the KOH to more than 6 times that amount to get the same amp draw. Plate spacing would also play a part in, the larger the gap the more KOH. Each genny is set up as -nnn+nnn-.

Yea, 15 amps cold is a lot but when it is hot it pulls a max of 25 and using a PWM I can dial it anywhere in between.

Cheers!

HHOhoper
07-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Dennis13030,

I use 1/4 tsp potassium hydroxide in 30 oz of distilled in quart jar. Running 2 sets of 6, +nnnn-, my generator draws 4.5 to 5.5 amps.

AAA chemicals, 2lbs for $12.

ridelong,

Do you know what your LPM is?

cemkarakurt
09-19-2008, 12:12 AM
I found a drain cleaner at home depot that has both sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, would this mixture work? would the additives in the cleaner screw things up andhow much of this stuff should I use im currenty running baking soda andlooking for a better electrolyte thanks

yep that is the good thing to use becouse no efect on the plates no corushion or etc. and one more thing pls use very smol amound like 1lt water use 1 or 2 tea spoon.
more you use more amp will drouw.
sorry about my english