PDA

View Full Version : plate spacing ?

dave
07-08-2008, 01:48 PM
will anyone please tell me what plate spacing gives greatest production?

dennis13030
07-08-2008, 01:52 PM
will anyone please tell me what plate spacing gives greatest production?

I wish I knew. I don't think anyone knows.

dave
07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
I wish I knew. I don't think anyone knows.
thanks just the same

Stratous
07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
The farther they are apart, the more electrolyte you must use. The closer they are, the less you need. Honestly, I dont think spacing has much to do with production. Thats just my opinion. Now in a set enviroment where the electrolyte solution cant be changed then closer is better. Closer means less resistance and therefore more amperage being pulled. More amperage is more production. To have a small cell, space the plates @ 1/16". you should only need 1/8th teaspoon of sodium hydroxide per gallon of water to get about 10 amps. Closer is better for this reason, closer plates require less caustic alkaline to increase conductivity. Less alkaline is less plate corrosion or erosion.

rmptr
07-08-2008, 11:57 PM
I've just ran into my first couple of problems, so I'll post 'em for others to avoid...

IF you chose to experiment using 32 ounce Ball Mason jars with plastic lids and SS blank outlet covers as plates, options will be rather limited.

...pretty much to 5 individual plates!
MAYBE 6 could somehow be squeezed in.
(I've seen guys build ships in a bottle.)

Personally, I don't think spiral wires will prove to have enough surface area to generate as much HHO, no matter what the voltage applied.

Case of jars was $10.

The 6x6x4" deep gray Carlon CPVC electrical box from Home Depot set me back $11 today. It was offered at twice that price at the True Value hardware store. For a pre-made container, it will offer much more accessible volume for experimenting with plate arrangement.

The 6x6x6 was not available at HD. Think I'd like it even better.

Soon as I get SOMETHING functional, I'll try the 4" pvc Eletrik design that Smack sells.

IMO, using only a 5/16 nylon through-bolt at two positions to support the plates is not sufficient to keep plates from touching, when closely spaced, if the vehicle may be jostled in normal driving.

I'm thinking 1/8" spacing, or, the dots of silicone placed upon the plates before assembly.

Any comments are very welcome!

Best

Ronjinsan
07-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Hey whats 32 ounce? I use a 1ltr jar and have 2 in tandem with 9 75 x 120 plates in each, connected to the vacuums with valves, one to the manifold and one to the carb midway venturi. Maybe you gaps are a bit wide but mine are 1.6mm and I can get the 9 plates in nicely! All the best