PDA

View Full Version : Where to get the special plastic(one that melts together) for building a container

mneste8718
07-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I am looking to make another container for my electrolyzer but this time I would like to make it myself with the certain plastic that I have seen people use on this forum. Apparently there is a special acrylic glue you can use for it so that the plastic melts together so that there are no leaks at all. If someone could give me some links, I would really appreciate it.

My next project is to possibly move the battery to the trunk and put the electrolyzer in its place. Otherwise I am going to just put the electrolyzer in the trunk...

Wako216
07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
hey I know im probably setting my self up for a stern talking to but while he brought it up, i scrap out medical x ray equip and we come across alot of transformer metal containers some are three feet by four feet by two feet but others are small, like 10"x20"x24" that would be perfect for a cell (alot of cells) they have a thick epoxy coating on the inside that Im hoping is to prevent corossion but I guess theres only one way to find out right? but anyway what are the dangers of mounting it in the far back of a mini van? and are there any ways to safe guard this? I just hate seeing those containers off to the scrap yard

lou
07-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Sounds viable ....... keep us informed. Well wouldn't it be better to use copper plates? I don't know.

Stratous
07-08-2008, 05:36 PM
I am looking to make another container for my electrolyzer but this time I would like to make it myself with the certain plastic that I have seen people use on this forum. Apparently there is a special acrylic glue you can use for it so that the plastic melts together so that there are no leaks at all. If someone could give me some links, I would really appreciate it.

My next project is to possibly move the battery to the trunk and put the electrolyzer in its place. Otherwise I am going to just put the electrolyzer in the trunk...

www.craftics.com i believe

mneste8718
07-08-2008, 05:49 PM
www.craftics.com i believe

Do you know which glue is used for melting the plastics together?

mneste8718
07-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Also, are there any glues that can melt plexiglass together as well? It would be way easier for me to find plexiglass locally than acrylic....

Ronjinsan
07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
On a viability thought here but ....if your battery is in the front, errrr correct me if I'm wrong but I think I would rather run a pipe from the back to the engine than have to extend 2 battery cables all the way down the length!! Yes, no, yes, no?

Stratous
07-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Do you know which glue is used for melting the plastics together?

Any glue that is made from methylene chloride will work on acrylic plastics.

Follow this link: http://www.craftics.com/products.cfm?Category=80

timetowinarace
07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
On a viability thought here but ....if your battery is in the front, errrr correct me if I'm wrong but I think I would rather run a pipe from the back to the engine than have to extend 2 battery cables all the way down the length!! Yes, no, yes, no?

Well, first off, it would be less work to remount the battery for a large electrolyser. Second, there is a safety issue with having the electrolyser in the trunk or back of a van or riding shotgun with you (more hho stored in the system and if there are leaks hho freely riding around with you in the trunk or cab). Third is the vacuum pressure lost over a long distance for those that want to use this to improve efficiency. Fourth is the problem of having a long run of soft tubing to kink, plug, get holes, develope leaks at juction points, unless more expensive hose is used.

mneste8718
07-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Any glue that is made from methylene chloride will work on acrylic plastics.

Follow this link: http://www.craftics.com/products.cfm?Category=80

Unfortunately none of them specify if they use methylene chloride

Stratous
07-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Unfortunately none of them specify if they use methylene chloride

The Plastic acrylic solvent cement or weld-on #3 will do. Both are very similar.

mneste8718
07-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Ok sounds good, do you know if Home Depot or Lowes has Acrylic sheets or not?

Stratous
07-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I believe they carry plexi glass which is acrylic, its not as good as polycarbonate though or lexan

crew02
07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I think moving the battery that far away may cause problems with the starter.

timetowinarace
07-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I think moving the battery that far away may cause problems with the starter.

Nope, when racing stock car(circle track), batteries are required to be moved towards the back. The cables aren't cheap but easy to find. Places that sell racing supplies will have battery boxes to contain the battery too.

HHOWolfen
07-09-2008, 10:51 PM
so, anyone know an easy way to cool the water4gas systems, I have an idea, but it won't work with older cars

mneste8718
07-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Well I think to keep things relatively simple, I might build a trunk unit. But I really would like to be able to get the raw materials for building the container locally...

Any ideas? I just need a square or rectagular container that seals well and works well with higher temperatures...

rmptr
07-10-2008, 11:47 PM
so, anyone know an easy way to cool the water4gas systems, I have an idea, but it won't work with older cars

May I ask?

Is your w4g spiral wire system actually drawing enough current to generate excess heat?

Frankly, I am surprised.

Have you been able to measure your HHO production from a cell?

And I am NOT being facetious, or baiting you...

W4G is the simplest of cell designs and if your results are good,
could be advantageous to very many people for simplicity of construction.

dennis13030
07-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Is polycarbonate and lexan the same thing?

volomike
07-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Sounds viable ....... keep us informed. Well wouldn't it be better to use copper plates? I don't know.

Wouldn't that corrode?

Stratous
07-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Is polycarbonate and lexan the same thing?

Yes, they re.

Smith03Jetta
07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Moving your battery to the trunk would be suggested. Volvo cars have their batteries in the trunk. My VW Touareg has the battery under the drivers seat. It does have positive and negative posts under the hood for jumper cable purposes only. The battery in my Touareg does have a protective housing and air filter over the battery for safety. If my battery ever goes out in my Touareg, I will need to completely remove my Drivers seat to replace the battery. Volvo Cars do not have filters on them when placed in the trunk of the car.