PDA

View Full Version : Umm, I put hydrogen peroxide in my cell.

timetowinarace
07-08-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm feeling adventurous today I guess. Because I use only well water in my unit I can play with different electrolite solutions and wash it out easily.

Today I put in Glycol(antifreeze) for the obvious reason, DMSO to possibly increase the boiling point so heat is less of an issue. Both were added to the do not use sticky in the best electrolyte topic.

But when I put about 250ml of 3% concentration(the rest distilled water) H2O2 in with just my well water things began to happen. Production increased considerably. It is a guess based on the rate of bubbles in a jar because I didn't have time to get an official measurement but I'm giong to say production at least doubled useing the same amps.

Others may want to verify my results. I'd be interested to know if these findings can be repeated by others.

Stratous
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Should have had more oxygen bubbles.

timetowinarace
07-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Should have had more oxygen bubbles.

Will it be benificial?

Stratous
07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Will it be benificial?

I just dont know to be honest. Cant hurt to give it a shot.

timetowinarace
07-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, I hauled four horses to the track and back to get them galloped and preliminary findings are that the truck did get better MPG's. It will take more real world driving to know for sure. I'll stick with the H2O2 for awhile to see what happens.

rmptr
07-09-2008, 12:11 AM
IMO probably not wise to dump Afreeze om the mix.

Maybe more bubbles, but what is their composition?

As it is, Dr Brown's gas is composed of traces beyond only hydrogen and oxygen.

It is just too easy to buy a gallon of distilled water at any market.

Best

Smith03Jetta
07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide will burn you if it evaporates too much. I had an accident about 13 years ago with some of it. Back when I was a kid, my grandmother used hydrogen peroxide to clean out my ears. It was kind of tingly and worked really good at removing ear wax.

I was in Louisiana and a stinging fly of some kind flew into my ear canal. It started stinging me so the only thing I could think of to get it out of my ear was to flush it with hydrogen peroxide. I knew it would kill the bug and flush it out. Well it worked, sort of. I did not know it but the bottle of 1% hydrogen peroxide had been sitting in the medicine cabinet for several years with a cracked lid. The water part of the solution had evaporated over time and resulted in a much higher concentration than 1% Hydrogen Peroxide. Needless to say, it burned my ear because Hydrogen Peroxide is an acid. It disolved the bug on contact. All that came out was bits of bug. I started screaming in pain and put my ear under running water in the bathtub for 10 or 15 minutes until It neutralized the burn.

It not only burned my ear but it burned the palms of my hand and my fingers. It turned my skin white for a while until new skin cells eventually replaced the bleached out ones.

timetowinarace
07-09-2008, 01:59 PM
IMO probably not wise to dump Afreeze om the mix.

Maybe more bubbles, but what is their composition?

As it is, Dr Brown's gas is composed of traces beyond only hydrogen and oxygen.

It is just too easy to buy a gallon of distilled water at any market.

Best

Any ideas on how to keep my electrrolyte from freezing at -30F? I've posed this question many times on a couple of forums without any responce. Experimenting and sharing seems the only way I'll find a way.

Smith03Jetta
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I would suggest running an engine water line through the generator housing. As the engine gets up to operating temperature, it would help thaw out the ice. The only problem with that idea is that it would heat up the water more than we want.

Another idea is to use a small heater wire hooked up to your home electricity when it's parked at home at night. During the day, you could use a solar panel to power the heater wire. VW uses Solar panels on cars parked on the dealer parking lot to keep the batteries charged. They have suction cups for sticking them to the inside of the car's window. One similar in size would probably put out 12 volts at .5-1 amp. That's enough energy to keep the water warm.

timetowinarace
07-09-2008, 05:23 PM
The problem with plugging a unit heater in is that at temps that cold I couldn't park at the movies or whatever and let it sit and freeze. These are temps that will crack engine blocks over night if 50/50 antifreeze mix is not maintaned(experience). I can't just thaw it out and use it. A solar battery charger would be great, umm, during the day.

Stratous
07-09-2008, 06:54 PM
The problem with plugging a unit heater in is that at temps that cold I couldn't park at the movies or whatever and let it sit and freeze. These are temps that will crack engine blocks over night if 50/50 antifreeze mix is not maintaned(experience). I can't just thaw it out and use it. A solar battery charger would be great, umm, during the day.

How about a small heating pad that people use to rest sore muscles? or perhaps a block heater?

timetowinarace
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
The '06 5.9 cummins comes stock with a block heater (you just have to buy the cord).

I suppose I could wrap some heat tape used for water pipes around the unit and plug it in with the truck. Then I'm back to what to do if I go somewhere and park for a extended period.

This needs to be done without an outside energy source.

Stratous
07-09-2008, 10:14 PM
not sure if you considered rubbing alcohol, or maybe some bacardi 151.....lol

rmptr
07-10-2008, 02:59 AM
Gosh Smith!

The fly and the old peroxide sounds like a nightmare!

Wild!

I hope you've recovered well.

Guess I'll keep the ear buds in when I go to La...

Best

lou
07-10-2008, 03:28 AM
Note to self: keep Hydrogen Peroxide container tightly sealed with good lid:)

timetowinarace
07-10-2008, 11:18 AM
not sure if you considered rubbing alcohol, or maybe some bacardi 151.....lol

Hmmmmmm, Everclear, I wonder if they still make that stuff. :eek:

dennis13030
07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Hmmmmmm, Everclear, I wonder if they still make that stuff. :eek:

I'm sure they do.