PDA

View Full Version : Solar panel instead of car batterie?

boobou69
07-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Once again, still new to this....

could a solar panel be hooked up to hho generator instead of running off car batterie?

dennis13030
07-09-2008, 01:27 PM
I saw a video clip online where someone does this. The solar panel and electrolyzer were not mounted on a vehicle. Also, with a full size solar panel he was getting only a little gas production.

Phantom240
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Solar panels produce little voltage and even less amperage.

daveczrn
07-09-2008, 01:38 PM
yes you would need a solar pannel the size of a semi-truck to power the generator to produce HHO

ranger2.3
07-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I have a friend who built an HHO generator and powered it just fine by a solar panel.

daveczrn
07-09-2008, 01:57 PM
If you covered your entire roof of your car with a solar pannel you would be able to pull about 3-4 amps.

It is enough to make something happen. You will get HHO gas. but it will not produce enough to see a real increase in MPG.

timetowinarace
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I saw a self sufficiant house powered with solar panels that stored excess energy during the day in the form of hydrogen (not hho) and used it in a hydrogen cell at night to power the house. I can't remember for sure but I beleive he also heated house and water with it.

There are many alternatives to grid power and oil but the problem is the average person can't afford them.

Smith03Jetta
07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
The boobou69 has a pretty good idea.

BP makes a solar panel priced at $345.00 that produces 50 watts at 17.5 volts and 2.9 amps. This doesn't seem too bad.

They've got another one that produces 65 watts at 17.6 volts and 3.99 amps. It's priced at $418.30.

If you wanted to step it up a few notches, GE makes a kit for around $1050 that will produce 200 watts, 26.3 volts at 8.1 amps.

That seems just about enough to power an efficient HHO Generator.

Links are here: http://www.nationalsolarsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=203

If we could harness Solar energy to power our HHO generators, that would take the ammunition away from the skeptics who say we are pulling more power from our car's alternators than we are getting as a benefit from the addition of HHO to our engines. And it would add to our fuel efficiency as well.

Oh, I just remembered something EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

Toyota has just decided to started putting solar panels in the new Prius Hybrid. They will be used to power the Air Conditioner. If they are strong enough to power a car's air conditioner, then they must be strong enough to power an HHO Generator. Remember, Air conditioners on conventional cars reduce your fuel mileage by 10 or 12 percent when they are running so they must be sucking some pretty good energy.

boobou69
07-09-2008, 04:18 PM
wow....thats a lot of responses in a little time...lol.....

thanks guys

perhaps not so plausible right now due to the size of solar panels....only time will tell

boobou69

Smith03Jetta
07-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Some company, I can't recall right now but I heard it on NPR radio yesterday was releasing information on new solar energy discoveries. They had created new solar panels that were smaller yet more powerful. I wish I had heard more...

boobou69
07-09-2008, 05:12 PM
here's another one for you guys.......wind power..... a car running at 50 mph meets a lot of wind resistance....if you could harness it into a mini wind turbine.....

i can only provied the ideas...lol....not the means.....

Boobou69

Smith03Jetta
07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I would think that the wind resistance from the turbine would reduce the forward energy of the car the same amount as an alternator kicking in. That pesky "Energy Lost" theory hits us again... you would be switching from alternator energy to Motion energy to produce electricity. They would be theoretically equal.

Sure it would produce some electricity but it would lower your speed and gas mileage the same amount or more if you count bearing friction and other small amounts of lost energy from heat.

boobou69
07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
yep...lol..... and that is why i am NOT the brains of the operation.....good point!

computerclinic
07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Solar energy is very attractive for keeping the cell warm in the winter so the electrolyte does not freeze over while you are at work, but its VERY low output versus high dollar cost. I would also think that maybe it could be used to top off the battery and have a timer that allows the generator to run for a period of time every now and then to keep it from freezing over.