PDA

View Full Version : EFIE For MAF or O2 Sensor (New Guy)

mz 500
03-31-2009, 05:37 PM
New to the forum looks like a good place for info here is my first question.

Do I need a EFIE for the MAF or O2 sensor to run a hho cell? Or do I need both?

velorossa22
03-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the forum!
What kind of car do you have?
Generally ODBI cars are easier and the EFIE works better
ODBII cars usually need a MAP sensor enhancer since alot of the ECU's readings come from there

mz 500
04-01-2009, 08:52 AM
My Test car is a 98 Grand Prix with a 3800 V6 I am almost sure it is a ODBII car. That would explane why my high flow intake/filter didn't change the MPG at all. I do know It has an o2 sensor befor the cat and behind the cat.

Painless
04-01-2009, 09:18 AM
My Test car is a 98 Grand Prix with a 3800 V6 I am almost sure it is a ODBII car. That would explane why my high flow intake/filter didn't change the MPG at all. I do know It has an o2 sensor befor the cat and behind the cat.
You will need to perform an ECU reset to see any benefits from an air intake change. My Dodge has a special procedure for this, there is probably one for the grand prix.

Russ.

mz 500
04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Yes I think there is a procedure for that I will have to look at my manual. I am going to replace the O2 sensor soon so I will do it then.

Scorpio4.7L
04-02-2009, 11:03 PM
You will need to perform an ECU reset to see any benefits from an air intake change. My Dodge has a special procedure for this, there is probably one for the grand prix.

Russ.

I'm not sure which method is most proficient for the actual 'Reset', but i can either do a series of actions in the cab of my truck utilizing the key, ignition, door lock etc etc, (works great i have done it many times with 100% success) OR, i found that if i disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes - I can also obtain an ECU reset.

my .02
(Good luck MZ500 ! I'm at the same stage in my HHO to Engine pursuit!)
P.S - I owned that exact make/model/engine. I loved that car, it had some grunt!

mz 500
04-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Over all this has been a good car It has about 187,000 miles on it and still looks good it has a small rust spot under the rear spoiler and a few on the front edge of the hood but for a MI car you can't ask for much better. I get about 22 to 24 MPG avrage. I think it would do better but I don't drive the
e-way much it's just 55 60 MPH side roads to work every day.

Painless
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure which method is most proficient for the actual 'Reset', but i can either do a series of actions in the cab of my truck utilizing the key, ignition, door lock etc etc, (works great i have done it many times with 100% success) OR, i found that if i disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes - I can also obtain an ECU reset.

my .02
(Good luck MZ500 ! I'm at the same stage in my HHO to Engine pursuit!)
P.S - I owned that exact make/model/engine. I loved that car, it had some grunt!
The method I've found works well on my dodge recently:

1) Remove the PCM fuse.
2) Turn the ignition to the 'run' position, but do not start, leave for 30 seconds.
3) Turn the ignition to the starter position and hold until you hear a chime from the dash, takes about 10-15 seconds.
4) Replace the PCM fuse.

Russ.

mz 500
04-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Well back to the original subject I gather I need a MAP sensor enhancer over a O2 MAP enhancer. I have been working on a O2 enhancer basted on a design I found on line but I am having a hard time getting it to work. Since I have not built somthing like this before I figure I have something messed up.