PDA

View Full Version : Gen II Dodge Dakota 4.7L ????

Scorpio4.7L
04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
hey guys-
I have been lurking on this website for some time now: gathering information and tips..this is my first post (Yay!)
I feel I'm ready to take the plunge and install an HHO system on my 2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8 (generation 2).
I understand that there have been claims of power increase and helps with emissions. However, I'm really only looking for a MPG increase. I currently only get about 15mpg per 23 gallon tank (Ouch!).:eek:
I can see the kits sold on Ebay and i see the fine craftsmanship of some of you members' kits: unfortunately, i STILL don't understand what i am going to need to accomplish a successful install on my 4.7L with MPG gains solely in mind.

Has anyone successfully installed an HHO kit on this particular Generation, Make and Model with a significant MPG gain? If so, perhaps you could provide me with a general "how to" and "items needed" list for my (our) 4.7L? I will do my best to rub a couple brain cells together thereafter :) .

Thanks guys.

Painless
04-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram with the 4.7L engine, there are obviously some differences (mainly in the inlet manifold design, I think) between your engine and mine but you might find my experiment thread a good read. Check my signature for a link.

Russ.

Scorpio4.7L
04-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram with the 4.7L engine, there are obviously some differences (mainly in the inlet manifold design, I think) between your engine and mine but you might find my experiment thread a good read. Check my signature for a link.

Russ.

Russ-
Thanks for the heads up on the "Experiment" link you directed me towards. It seemed to be a plethora of information regarding how much power to supply your setup.

I have definitely learned (from you) that our 4.7L's will require a bit more output of HHO gases than i expected, which is great information. Thank you.

Follow Up Question Russ:
#1) Are you running anything other than the generator in your 4.7L ? or do you (We) have to trick our O2 sensors with an EFIE (Which i really don't know what that is btw, lol) device?
#2) What has been your OVERALL MPG gain since install? From what i can read its only be 1-3 MPG gains..
#3) Thrown Engine Codes?

In closing:
i would just like to add that you seem to be a valuable asset to this forum. Not only do you take what other have learned, but you seem to also come up with excellent ideas of improvement.

My ONLY criticisms is something that im sure you can clarify for me:
Why would you block the path of air into your intake manifold, ever? In your later posts, you mention that you are blocking the intake a bit with duct tape. Coming from a non-HHO Performance based perspective, this would decrease your power-- Are you trying to perform a balancing act between Air vs. Fuel vs. HHO gas or is there another reason?

Thank you and keep it up!!! :D

Painless
04-02-2009, 08:55 PM
#1) Are you running anything other than the generator in your 4.7L ? or do you (We) have to trick our O2 sensors with an EFIE (Which i really don't know what that is btw, lol) device?

You will definitely need to address the EFIE and probably the MAP and IAT sensors in order to get anything out of the engine. An EFIE is basically a device for altering the signal from the oxygen sensors to stop them reporting a false lean condition once you add sufficient HHO.

#2) What has been your OVERALL MPG gain since install? From what i can read its only be 1-3 MPG gains..

So far, my best gain has been from 16.5 to 21 mpg, but I'm not convinced that it was all HHO. I was experimenting with sensor mods at the time and definitely wasn't making enough HHO for an effect.

#3) Thrown Engine Codes?

Plenty of them!

My ONLY criticisms is something that im sure you can clarify for me:
Why would you block the path of air into your intake manifold, ever? In your later posts, you mention that you are blocking the intake a bit with duct tape. Coming from a non-HHO Performance based perspective, this would decrease your power-- Are you trying to perform a balancing act between Air vs. Fuel vs. HHO gas or is there another reason?

The intake restriction is an experiment that Stu has been working on, it has been found that on some vehicles (typically older ones with MAF sensors as opposed to MAP and IAT like ours) that restricting the air and resetting the ECU results in improved fuel consumption. It uses similar principles to outboard motors where they will typically produce a lower HP version by using a smaller intake system. All just an experiment really. I haven't seen any gains with it on my Ram, but was hoping that if it did work I could reduce the HHO needs if I could also reduce my engines air requirements.

Russ.

Scorpio4.7L
04-02-2009, 10:54 PM
So far, my best gain has been from 16.5 to 21 mpg, but I'm not convinced that it was all HHO. I was experimenting with sensor mods at the time and definitely wasn't making enough HHO for an effect.

Woof! 21 mpg on your 4.7L!? HHO or not, thats what i need! Congrats on that accomplishment alone:D, have you noticed a decreased range of power with your increase of MPG (I don't know why i'm curious about that one, just mentioning O2 sensor mods peaked my interests..)

Plenty of them!

lol - yea after the millionth or so any of my OBDII vehicles throw those dang things i just laugh. I own at least 2 coder readers, no headaches here. :cool:

The intake restriction is an experiment that Stu has been working on, it has been found that on some vehicles (typically older ones with MAF sensors as opposed to MAP and IAT like ours) that restricting the air and resetting the ECU results in improved fuel consumption. It uses similar principles to outboard motors where they will typically produce a lower HP version by using a smaller intake system. All just an experiment really.

Understood 100%, i see the perspective now. I didn't know if you figured out some awesomely-nutty mod for the 4.7L, its a weird engine :D:D

Thanks Russ, i can see i will enjoy this forum.
(PM sent)

Painless
04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Woof! 21 mpg on your 4.7L!? HHO or not, thats what i need! Congrats on that accomplishment alone:D, have you noticed a decreased range of power with your increase of MPG (I don't know why i'm curious about that one, just mentioning O2 sensor mods peaked my interests..)

Please remember, I achieved this mileage PURELY BY LEANING MY ENGINE! I experienced pre-detonation and power losses. NOT GOOD!

Since then, I have installed an exhaust gas temperature gauge. This is an essential purchase before any sensor mods or changes to air / fuel ratios. $100 odd for a gauge is much cheaper than an engine rebuild!

Russ.

blky2kws6
05-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Have tested your cell to find the MMW.

blky2kws6
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Sorry, I didn`t proof read my last post. I meant to ask if you have tested
your cell to find its MMW.
I have a 2003 Ram with a 4.7. I have been running a "Wetcell Labs" 21 plate dry cell along with a O2 extender and an EFIE connected to the MAF sensor for several months now and have seen no MPG improvement. I tested my cell and it is running at about 4.60 MMW on a good day and I know a lot of people say they are around 5.5-6.0 MMW. Do you think this is the reason for my lack of MPG improvement?