PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic MAP Enhancer Project

Painless
04-04-2009, 02:52 PM
First off, I'd like to say that MAP enhancers scare me and that fact is the main drive for this project.

Why do they scare me?

MAP enhancers come mainly in two flavours, single pot and dual city/highway pot. They are usually made from standard potentiometers with nice, easy to use, turn knobs and, from what I've seen so far, people without enough knowledge like to fiddle with them as if there is a label on them saying "Turn me this way for more MPG". Without an EGT gauge, this is a dangerous activity (as is any A/F ratio adjustment). I particularly remember a video higherpoweredh2o posted mentioning a customer who damaged their engine *TWICE* by over zealous cranking of their MAP enhancer.

The problem, as I see it, is that MAP enhancement needs to be proportional to engine load. Higher engine load, such as acceleration from standstill, should use minimal enhancement in order to prevent hesitation or, even worse, pre-detonation. Higher enhancements at average to low load are possible (with an eye on the EGT gauge).

A dual city / highway MAP enhancer goes some way to addressing the above, but still requires driver intervention to flick the SPDT switch over and those two nice big shiny "MPG" knobs are still there to tempt you.

The circuit I'm working on (at the breadboard testing stage at the moment) is designed to work with the more common 5v MAP sensor and has three screwdriver operated "set them right then forget them" multi-turn potentiometers:

1) High Load Enhancement
2) Low Load Enhancement
3) Load Threshold

The circuit compares the incoming MAP sensor signal to determine if the engine load is above the set threshold or below it. If the load is above, the 'high load' enhancement is used. If the load is below, the 'low load' enhancement is used. In addition, if your EGT gauge supports a separate warning light alarm, there is provision to wire this signal to the circuit and cut out all enhancement in the case of a high EGT warning.

As I mentioned, I'm still testing this circuit on breadboard at the moment, but would welcome any input (positive or negative) anyone may have. If the project is successful, this circuit will be released as open source.

Russ.

velorossa22
04-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Are you using scangauge to tell you EGT? Does your car automatically monitor EGT or are you using an aftermarket gauge? I've seen them on ebay and they have a probe with them. Where do you install the probe?
I really support a revamp of the MAP sensor enhancer. Seems like there is room for improvement and I like how your addressing it.

Painless
04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I use an aftermarket EGT gauge from gloshift, the probe is mounted in the exhaust manifold just after where the cylinders join into one pipe.

velorossa22
04-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Did you have to drill and tap the exhaust manifold?

Painless
04-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Did you have to drill and tap the exhaust manifold?
Yep, but it's not as hard as it sounds.

velorossa22
04-07-2009, 12:26 AM
So I have a dual Map enhancer on my sooby. But what I don't understand is the dual part of it. With the potentiometer on the right side switched the ohms vary and with the left side switched the ohms vary the same. So it's like either way the both vary the same for the same circuit. So what I don't understand is why have 2 when they mirror each other and only one works at a time?
Something that I thought that might be nice for modification would be a digital volt meter dash mount style. I've seen them on Ebay for $10 including shipping. That way you could compare original voltage to modified voltage very easily. It says it consumes no voltage so you wouldn't have to worry about it modifying the circuit.
What size drill and tap do you use for the EGT? Does your EGT support warning lights?
How do you know that your map enhancer is actually working? Mines varies voltage from 1.5v ( normal idle) to 0v. But I can't feel any difference in the idle or driving and the car won't die even at 0v. Granted I only did that once since I don't want to be buying a new motor yet.

Painless
04-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Your MAP sounds a little strange, usually a MAP signal is from 0 to 5v. Are you sure you've tapped into the right wire?

The point of the dual pots is that one is for city and one is for highway. You can, generally, use more enhancement on the highway and less in the city (due to the stop/start higher load requirements). You set each one appropriately and flick the switch depending on the type of driving you're doing.

My gauge does support a warning light. I can't remember the tap size I used, but if you go to gloshiftdirect you can download the installation PDF. I got the correct tap from NAPA.

Russ.

velorossa22
04-07-2009, 08:50 PM
The input voltage to the map is 4.5v and coming out at idle is 1.5v. The way I hooked it up is the output of the map to the input of the enhancer then the output of the enhancer connects to the output of the map going to the ecu. I didn't touch the input of the MAP ( the 4.5v one). Is that correct installation?
So if the highway allows for more adjustment then the highway knob should have different resistance at the same setting than the city one right? Otherwise you have 2 of the same thing ( mine has a switch that shifts from one to the other). Unless you are saying that they are supposed run in series?...
Thanks for you help Russ I appreciate it.

Painless
04-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Both pots provide the same resistance at the same amount of turn.

The point is that the switch toggles which pot is active, one setting for city and another for highway driving.

velorossa22
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Wow I'm an idiot. I totally get it now. You're NOT supposed to be always adjusting it you just have to set and what ever you want and you switch between them once you have it dialed in as to what resistance you want for each one:).
Okay thanks for helping me get me head screwed on straight!

Painless
04-08-2009, 02:26 PM
That's it!

Anyhow, that is the point of the dynamic map enhancer circuit I'm working on. You won't need to keep switching back and forth, the circuit will do it based upon engine load.

Now, if I can only get the issue with the MOSFET's still bleeding voltage when off I'll be able to finish testing the circuit.

Russ.

HHOe69
04-19-2009, 01:15 PM
First off, I'd like to say that MAP enhancers scare me and that fact is the main drive for this project.

Why do they scare me?

MAP enhancers come mainly in two flavours, single pot and dual city/highway pot. They are usually made from standard potentiometers with nice, easy to use, turn knobs and, from what I've seen so far, people without enough knowledge like to fiddle with them as if there is a label on them saying "Turn me this way for more MPG". Without an EGT gauge, this is a dangerous activity (as is any A/F ratio adjustment). I particularly remember a video higherpoweredh2o posted mentioning a customer who damaged their engine *TWICE* by over zealous cranking of their MAP enhancer.

The problem, as I see it, is that MAP enhancement needs to be proportional to engine load. Higher engine load, such as acceleration from standstill, should use minimal enhancement in order to prevent hesitation or, even worse, pre-detonation. Higher enhancements at average to low load are possible (with an eye on the EGT gauge).

A dual city / highway MAP enhancer goes some way to addressing the above, but still requires driver intervention to flick the SPDT switch over and those two nice big shiny "MPG" knobs are still there to tempt you.

The circuit I'm working on (at the breadboard testing stage at the moment) is designed to work with the more common 5v MAP sensor and has three screwdriver operated "set them right then forget them" multi-turn potentiometers:

1) High Load Enhancement
2) Low Load Enhancement
3) Load Threshold

The circuit compares the incoming MAP sensor signal to determine if the engine load is above the set threshold or below it. If the load is above, the 'high load' enhancement is used. If the load is below, the 'low load' enhancement is used. In addition, if your EGT gauge supports a separate warning light alarm, there is provision to wire this signal to the circuit and cut out all enhancement in the case of a high EGT warning.

As I mentioned, I'm still testing this circuit on breadboard at the moment, but would welcome any input (positive or negative) anyone may have. If the project is successful, this circuit will be released as open source.

Russ.

EXCELLENT!!! Finally, someone putting some actual thought into the MAP sensor stuff. I originally made my enhancer with two different pots thinking they would be for highway and city. After a couple months, I found that not to be needed, so I only kept the one pot adjusted in one spot and stuck with it. Now, instead of having a city/highway switch, I use it as an accelerating/not accelerating switch between the two pots (high load low load as you said).

I always thought of attatching some type of linear adjusting pot to the throttle to control resistance. I hope whatever you are making works because that MAP sensor can and will ruin engines. I'm glad I found this thread!

Painless
04-19-2009, 06:54 PM
EXCELLENT!!! Finally, someone putting some actual thought into the MAP sensor stuff. I originally made my enhancer with two different pots thinking they would be for highway and city. After a couple months, I found that not to be needed, so I only kept the one pot adjusted in one spot and stuck with it. Now, instead of having a city/highway switch, I use it as an accelerating/not accelerating switch between the two pots (high load low load as you said).

I always thought of attatching some type of linear adjusting pot to the throttle to control resistance. I hope whatever you are making works because that MAP sensor can and will ruin engines. I'm glad I found this thread!
I'm still working a few small bugs out of the circuit, but am hoping it will be complete soon.

sfttailpaul
05-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Painless U R genius!!!
I agree that finally I too, have found someone who has an understanding of the MAP circuitry and how it affects A/F after adding a HAFC system. I too, have a "set & forget" powered MAP Enhancer (as I call it). I run to the MAP V-Ref from a LM317T that as been adjusted by a 1K pot (ground in on center terminal) with a 22 Ohm Resistor between #3 & #2 of the LM317T. I use a DPDT to control Factory/Enhanced circuitry with a LED for the enhanced mode "on" and for fun. The reason that I do not put much emphasis on the MAP (set & forget) is that the ECU is utilizing many sensors for the A/F constantly changing calculations. If a reading from the MAP seems a "bit off", the ECU has the power to by-pass this from the equations it is running, and go around it utilizing those sensors that are functioning, as it "thinks" that the MAP sensor is mal-functioning. Each sensor has a "window" of values that are acceptable to the ECU as "functioning". Values outside this window are what trigger codes. The evolution into the CAN protocol and the utilization of comparative (reverse) frequency as the "control" of these circuits is making our job more and more difficult. A computer has to be developed (that works) to attach to all the sensors, monitor these frequencies and apply additive or subtractive figures to "alter" that signal to the ECU as determined by the pre-set values established after the HAFC system is installed and these sensors are "tuned" to that vehicle. I have experimented with three such devices and unfortunately, none "work". They might come close, but then something is lacking. I wind up spending a lot of time tweaking them too.
I believe, from the bottom of my heart, that the reason that they (Big 3) have gone this far is responsible (partially) to our efforts. Never in history, has information been so readily available to the masses. I also believe that this technology (HHO) has surfaced partially because of rising fuel prices, partially because of the Inter Net and partially because right now, there are more of us available to devote serious time into R&D. If we only had our spare time to R&D, things would move at a relatively slow pace. I bet there are hundreds if not thousands of people like myself, that have been thrust into this as a means of financially supporting ourselves. I am making this into a full-time business because my business and career of the past 35 years, has literally been wiped out from the current economy. I have been into it for the past 2+ years, spending upwards of 100 hours a week between reading and actual hands on application.
I learn from each and every one of you...:o

Painless
05-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, you are 100% correct. It is time that we took a different, more intelligent, approach to sensor manipulation that is so much more than the simple set resistance and voltage addition methods we are using now.

I've been very quiet on these forums of late, for two reasons. One reason I shall discuss in my thread once I am ready and have confirmed my data and results the other I will gladly share right now:

Some time ago, I mentioned a 'dream' I had of creating a system that will completely control an HHO installation, taking the majority of the tuning out of the hands of the driver and incorporating safety features. That 'dream' is now taking shape as a reality in the form of an electronic intelligent controller I have been developing that will offer the following functions:

Current sensing PWM with load related control

This will control the HHO cell via PWM, with the option of duty cycle also being adjusted with reference to engine load.

Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) monitor

Monitoring of exhaust gas temp with automatic HHO / Sensor Enhancer cut off.

Intelligent EFIE

An oxygen sensor enhancer that will intelligently enhance the O2 input rather than *just* adding voltage.

Intelligent MAP/MAF enhancer

A load related MAP/MAF enhancer.

OBD-II scantool interface

Option to interface with an ELM327 based scantool to provide real time ECU data.

This system is micro-controller based with a 4x20 character LCD display. The biggest part of this project is the micro-controller programming which will be in progress along with testing for some time yet.

I'm looking forward to being able to offer a very affordable unit in the near future once my project is complete and has undergone thorough testing.

Russ.

Roland Jacques
05-03-2009, 05:44 PM
This VMU system seem to be getting close to what you are referring to.

At least the closest that i know of. looks really well thought out

I'm thinking they could use a EGT and a A/F ratio incorporated in there system but i really like what they have so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvIUNE87PCI

http://www.hydroxycorp.net/PRMAR29.pdf
http://www.hydroxycorp.net/shop/

Painless
05-03-2009, 09:39 PM
The VMU is a nice product, however, it is simply a flashy combination of PWM, MAP/MAF, EFIE etc with a nice display. I'm designing a system that will control and tune the enhancers and cell for you. I also won't be charging anything remotely near $390 for the basic unit which still requires extra addons to be useful.

Roland Jacques
05-04-2009, 08:42 AM
The VMU is a nice product, however, it is simply a flashy combination of PWM, MAP/MAF, EFIE etc with a nice display. I'm designing a system that will control and tune the enhancers and cell for you. I also won't be charging anything remotely near $390 for the basic unit which still requires extra addons to be useful.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. we could diffenitly use it.

I like the VMU2 ability to tie RPM to the PWM. It would be nice to find this ability alone for a good price.

bk4t9
05-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Hi Painless,
With your electronic intelligent controller,my wife will dare to drive my car,she said I put a mini bomb inside my car,when I show her your post,she said Yes!this is the right approach for HHO technology,so please save me with your complete kit upon ...............

Roland Jacques
05-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi Painless,
With your electronic intelligent controller,my wife will dare to drive my car,she said I put a mini bomb inside my car,when I show her your post,she said Yes!this is the right approach for HHO technology,so please save me with your complete kit upon ...............

LOL

After all the things i have burned & blown up in the driveway with HHO, my wife wont even let me say HHO and her car in the same sentence.:D

Painless
05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Look forward to seeing what you come up with. we could diffenitly use it.

I like the VMU2 ability to tie RPM to the PWM. It would be nice to find this ability alone for a good price.

RPM to PWM is one way, although it will not take load into account (i.e. 2500 rpms is a world of difference at WOT and cruise throttle). I plan on incorporating a PWM duty cycle that can be tied in to actual injector pulse width.

Hi Painless,

I hope that the final product will fulfill this for you, please be patient though as it's going to take A LOT of development and testing.

Russ.

bk4t9
05-08-2009, 01:59 PM
RPM to PWM is one way, although it will not take load into account (i.e. 2500 rpms is a world of difference at WOT and cruise throttle). I plan on incorporating a PWM duty cycle that can be tied in to actual injector pulse width.

I hope that the final product will fulfill this for you, please be patient though as it's going to take A LOT of development and testing.

Russ.

O.K! O.K! I'll be around,cos this is a wonderful forum for HHO enthusiasts.