PDA

View Full Version : Would this Work ?

mikestrikes
07-10-2008, 02:55 PM
How would a set of plates tack welded or solder'd with SS heavy wire or small rod work ?

Would it help drop the volts and heat ?

Phantom240
07-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Looks like that design would pull a lot of current and produce a lot of heat.

To drop heat and volts, introduce neutral plates between your + and - plates.

daveczrn
07-10-2008, 05:20 PM
How would a set of plates tack welded or solder'd with SS heavy wire or small rod work ?

Would it help drop the volts and heat ?

same way a normal +-+-+-+- design would work. you would need to make sure the plates were vertical in the water so that the bubbles would be able to rise to the top and not get stuck under a plate.

Boltazar
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Can someone explain how the netural plates work in a cell?

Pete

mikestrikes
07-10-2008, 09:27 PM
same way a normal +-+-+-+- design would work. you would need to make sure the plates were vertical in the water so that the bubbles would be able to rise to the top and not get stuck under a plate.

Yep same as.... kinda like intertwining your fingers... I would think the more plates it has the less voltage each would have or am I wrong ?

May try and add 1 neutral plate -n+n-n+n- kinda setup, lay in down in a case and bend the 2 leads up so they will come out the top and it all will look just like a battery.
Seal it good and make a good sealed bubbler and mount it in the trunk area of my hatch back all in a remote mounted battery box !!!! ;)

Unless I can talk my wife into letting me remove all of the air box crap from under the hood.

mikestrikes
07-10-2008, 09:30 PM

Pete

They take on the charge from the next charged plate and in doing so remove some of the voltage lowering temps but still producing HHO.

dennis13030
07-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Pete

I do not fully understand how the netural plates work. However, I think what they do is divide the total charge among the newly formed number of cells. There seems to be a reaction curve associated with the current through a single cell. This reaction curve is similar to a voltage-current curve of a diode. With a diode(or cell), as voltage increases there is initially very little current until the voltage reaches a threshold then current increases very rapidly. The biggest differences between a diode and a cell are;

1. Where the threshold is(diode=0.7V, cell=approximately 2.0V).
2. How broad the curve is near the thresholds(diode=sharp curve, cell=broad curve).
3. A diode blocks current in the reverse direction. A cell does not.

So lets say you start with two plates and 12V. You should be getting lots of current and heat and a fair amount of gas production. Next, you insert 3 neutral plates in between the original plates. Now You should be getting much less current and heat and about the same amount of gas production.

Boltazar
07-10-2008, 10:50 PM
So in a +nn- setup the left n would be + on both sides and the right n would be - on both. Doesn't this have the same effect as hooking a + and a - plate to another + and - plate in series. Lowering voltage and running cooler. How do I keep the amperage down then?

Confused
Pete

Boltazar
07-10-2008, 10:54 PM
and can someone tell me how to include the question post to the answer post. Not by hitting the Quick reply button Pete

dennis13030
07-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Use the "Quote" button in the message you are responding to.

rmptr
07-10-2008, 11:14 PM
I feel, that as Dennis has described, a +nn- cell configuration constitutes a + -+ -+ - configuration to the current flowing through the electrolyte.

To decrease voltage across the cell, run multiples in series.
To decrease current across the cell run multiples in parallel.

Hope that helps, Bolt.

Best

Johnh
07-10-2008, 11:48 PM
So in a +nn- setup the left n would be + on both sides and the right n would be - on both. Doesn't this have the same effect as hooking a + and a - plate to another + and - plate in series. Lowering voltage and running cooler. How do I keep the amperage down then?

Confused
Pete
The effect isn't exactly + on one side and - on the other, it is if the intermediate plate is more or less negative than the one next to it.
say we have a unit +4v N 0v- If you measure the potential on the N plate it will read 2v in relation to the - plate and -2v in relation to the + plate. The side facing the 0 plate will act as an anode to the -0 plate and the side facing the + will act as a cathode to the +4v plate.
The same applies right across any number of neutral plates.

it has exactly the same effect as hooking + and - cells in series with a conductor . but in a series connection both sides of every plate will be either an anode or a cathode.

The Neutral plate arrangement should have slightly less resistance as the electron that is donated from the cathode side of the reaction has only to travel across the plate to the anode side to be used in the anode half of the reaction.

dennis13030
07-11-2008, 12:02 AM
The effect isn't exactly + on one side and - on the other, it is if the intermediate plate is more or less negative than the one next to it.
say we have a unit +4v N 0v- If you measure the potential on the N plate it will read 2v in relation to the - plate and -2v in relation to the + plate. The side facing the 0 plate will act as an anode to the -0 plate and the side facing the + will act as a cathode to the +4v plate.
The same applies right across any number of neutral plates.

I agree with this part.

If we exclude the reaction curve of a cell, adding neutral plates should decrease resistance in the system and current should increase. However, it does NOT work in this manner. The difference is this cell reaction curve.