PDA

View Full Version : EFIE and MAP/MAF

ppht43
04-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I am reading everything but still need some clarifiaction if anyone has any info it would be appreciated. And yes i do read and look for manswers, sorry if this is the wrong thread as well.

I have a 6L 07 H2 Hummer
Do I need an EFIE with a map maf setup or does the EFIE do it all?
I see the dual wide band from fuel savers but doesnt say efie which I assume is for fuel injected vehicles. Is the difference the MAP/MAF setups allow for a manual tuning?

Gforce
04-16-2009, 12:33 AM
You are brave planning to modify such a new vehicle.
There are some dangers in using EFIE and MAP/MAF devices. First of all can you generate enough HHO? The rule of thumb is 1Liter/Min per Liter of engine displacement. This means you would need 5-7 Liters/Min. This is on the order of 60-80Amps depending on efficiency.
I have found I need to use both EFIE and MAP/MAF adjustments. The challenge is figuring out how much to adjust. We EFIE you can see how much the O2 Sensor changes when you switch on your HHO. I am not aware of any such way with MAP/MAF. I use OBDII monitoring and keep an eye on Long term fuel trim.
The danger is if you lean too much you can do some serious damage to your engine. You would have to run lean for some time to do this but it has happened. I have heard of using Exhaust Gas Temp to tune but have not tried it yet.

ppht43
04-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I thought the ratio was 1 LPM HHO for every 2 Litre of Engine?

Gforce
04-18-2009, 01:03 AM
My latest efforts are with a 4.6L V-6 and I am producing around 2 liters/min and I just got back from a 1k mile trip. On the way out I pushed the EFIE and MAF to the point I noticed performance drop on hard acceleration. I got over 15% improvement. Went from 14mpg to almost 17mpg. I ended up throwing codes reporting engine was running too lean. On the way back I backed off the EFIE and I only up the MAF pot when on the freeway. I got 15.8mpg on 300 mile leg. No performance issues. Of course my next plan is to increase the current and see if I can push the settings back. One piece of advise is take it slow. The ECU takes its time adjusting to the changes so its easy to over do it.

diesel133
06-30-2009, 11:14 PM
I used a map sensor enhancer on my 01 dodge ram 1500, 5.9 V8, It worked for 4 days, my mileage became worse and I screwed up my ecu and needed a new map sensor. Since then I used an efie only and never had a problem. That's 6 months. I noticed a few things since. Diesels only need map enhancers obviously because there's no O2 sensors. Vehicles may have both maf and map sensors. If they are on the intake manifold you do not need an enhancer, if you have them on your air intake you need both map/maf enhancer and efie. EFIE is necessary no matter what because that is the last sensor that reads the air stream and will dump more fuel when it reads higher O2 content.