PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Setup for Diesel

havocs29
07-11-2008, 07:48 AM
How should I wire up my HHO Generator. It has 6 plates draws around 30 amps. Right now I have it wired to the battery to a on/off switch to the generator. But the fuse get's extremely hot and in some cases melts. Diesel have a 24v system and gas engines have a 12v system. So I am thinking this could add to the problem also. I have heard using a solenoid for high amp generators but I don't even know where or what to get. If someone could help me out with the wiring I would really appreciate it.

timetowinarace
07-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Ummm, it's more likely your diesel has a 12V system. Two batteries are wired to double the current not the volts.

Bad connections in the wireing can cause heat in them. Also too thin a wire. 30 amps is allot. 1amp can kill a person if voltage is high enough. So make sure you are using the correct gauge wire.

Use a relay switch so your unit is not on when the key is off.

jlind
07-12-2008, 02:50 AM
Havocs29

If your truly running a 24v system. Thats not a problem. You just need to ajust your design to suit. Use components rated for that voltage or better.

Look on the net for wire gauges vs. Amp loads. Choose wire with a good margin for safety. Also the larger the wire, smaller the gauge the less loss over distants. Place your fuse of adiquate size as close to the power source as possible. Preferably the battery. Use a relay with a rating above your current draw to switch the power for your unit. A good thing would be to control the relay with a switch in the cab and supply that with switched power from the ignition. So that the relay will not energize with the ignition off. A lighted switch would be nice. Start your engine and flip the switch. If you forget to turn off the switch, when you turn off your engine the relay will disconnect the power to your HHO unit. If you are running a diesel, there is some concern about the glow plugs igniting the hho. I don't know the temp that the plugs will reach. HHO has a very high ignition temp. So I'm not sure if this is nessary. But you can, On cold starts turn off the HHO until the glow process is done. Thirty amps is a bunch. You can expect if you use small gauge wire, puney fuse holder or relay to need to do repairs and soon. Make all your connections the best you can. Solder! if you can. Any place you could get a loose connection will create heat and eventually failure.

As for choosing components. Go to your local truck or automotive service oulet like napa and talk to the guys there. Tell them you need to control a 30amp or better 50amp load. You need a fuse holder and fuses for the load. and wire. The fuse you choose should have a magin for safe operation. If your running 30amps don't get a 30amp. It will only fail in a short period of time. Get one with a rating above your current draw but never above the wire capacity. You want the fuse to go before the wire melts down.

You could also look around the forums on the net. I have seen part numbers.

Keep your wires away from moving and hot parts. Common sense stuff. Don't forget the cable ties and any armor shielding you may need.

cvblair
07-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Could you discribe your 250 diesel installition.

I have a 99 250 7.3 and am trying HHO on it. I have Edge chip, 4" exhaust and inhanced intake.

Thanks for the help.

Charles

cvblair@yahoo.com

WJB
07-15-2008, 07:14 PM
How should I wire up my HHO Generator. It has 6 plates draws around 30 amps. Right now I have it wired to the battery to a on/off switch to the generator. But the fuse get's extremely hot and in some cases melts. Diesel have a 24v system and gas engines have a 12v system. So I am thinking this could add to the problem also. I have heard using a solenoid for high amp generators but I don't even know where or what to get. If someone could help me out with the wiring I would really appreciate it.

Your diesel doesn't have a 24 volt system. Two batteries doesn't mean 24 volts. If you have a Dodge and see 24v, that means 24 valves, not volts.