PDA

View Full Version : KOH causing pitting?

velorossa22
04-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Took my dry cell on a 5 hour ride and when it was over there was some blackish brown sediment in the reservoir. Open close inspection is appeared that it was metal sediment. I also noticed fairly heavy pitting only on + side of plates ( almost looked like it had been etched). Has anyone else noticed that KOH can do that? Is it a factor of KOH even or something else. Right now the plates are 304L stainless.

mytoyotasucks
04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Took my dry cell on a 5 hour ride and when it was over there was some blackish brown sediment in the reservoir. Open close inspection is appeared that it was metal sediment. I also noticed fairly heavy pitting only on + side of plates ( almost looked like it had been etched). Has anyone else noticed that KOH can do that? Is it a factor of KOH even or something else. Right now the plates are 304L stainless.

i think its more of the electrolisis process, and brown is from over volts or not enough gat between plates or both.

velorossa22
04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
7 plates +NNNNN- at 14.3V. THe gap is the .040" which is generally what others run (shower pan gasket). So are you guys not getting any pitting with 304L? I don't know the heat it's creating could that also be a cause?

mytoyotasucks
06-11-2009, 12:20 PM
7 plates +NNNNN- at 14.3V. THe gap is the .040" which is generally what others run (shower pan gasket). So are you guys not getting any pitting with 304L? I don't know the heat it's creating could that also be a cause?

this is what my plates lloked like after 4 months.

hg2
06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Nope my plates haven't changed in a year and a half.Top shelf 316L

soda_pop503
07-28-2009, 07:11 PM

My best guess would be the 304 stainless. Zero Fossil Fuel, a very credible HHO researcher says you must use at least 316 preferably 320 or 320L.

he also talks about soaking the plates in hydrochloric acid, I think.

rcflyn
10-04-2009, 11:33 PM
I too am using 304 SS. Not L tho... & KOH. THUS far (approx 3 months, and about 7500 miles, I am not getting any "PITTING" or any sediments in my E-lite. I Did get some sediments in my solution during the Break in process (I ran the cells in an open container for several hours at between 5-10 amps, straining off the sediments at irregular intervals then running cells longer..
Once I was satisfied no more sediments was there, I applied full apmerage to the cells and ran em a couple more hours...
going on that, I dont THINK the KOH, or even the 304L is your problem. Ok, MAYBE the 304L is... DID you condition them before "RUNNING" them at full power?????
I'm in the process of TRYING to find some "CHEAP" 316L, but I'm sure you ALL know how that goes... I can find CHEAP 304, so right now, I gotta go with what I can get cheap.....

Humanoid_1
01-19-2010, 01:53 AM
I might be new to the practical side of HHO - But I have been doing an silly amount of research about all kinds of aspects.

Corrosion resistance of 316 Stainless (considered about the same as 316L both types are a Lot better than 304):

A - Excellent
B - Good
C - Poor
D - Do Not Use

NaOH = A
KOH = B

without looking it up I guess 304 would be C - Poor for KOH

Same info gleened from a couple of indusrty studies I found.