PDA

View Full Version : Alternator, battery, and general questions

dgarring
07-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the idea of HHO as a fuel additive, and I've got some questions about the effectiveness of it.

1. Will this drain my battery, and what voltage do i need to successfully perform electrolysis? (enough to be useful)

2. while my alternator is recharging to battery which is constantly being used, isnt my engine working harder to provide the mechanical energy to recharge the battery and using more fuel? Is this significant?

3. will this shorten the life of my battery?

4. about how much will this cost me to do? (veterans? how much did you spend?)

There is a lot of mixed information out there so i wanted to see what real people actually thought.

Thanks
David

ranger2.3
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I've been wondering the same question.

dennis13030
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the idea of HHO as a fuel additive, and I've got some questions about the effectiveness of it.

1. Will this drain my battery, and what voltage do i need to successfully perform electrolysis? (enough to be useful)

2. while my alternator is recharging to battery which is constantly being used, isnt my engine working harder to provide the mechanical energy to recharge the battery and using more fuel? Is this significant?

3. will this shorten the life of my battery?

4. about how much will this cost me to do? (veterans? how much did you spend?)

There is a lot of mixed information out there so i wanted to see what real people actually thought.

Thanks
David

Hello

Q1a. Will this drain my battery.
A1a. Yes, if your alternator is not functioning. No, if it is functioning.
Q1b. What voltage do i need to successfully perform electrolysis? (enough to be useful)
A1b. Your 12V system on the vehicle is enough.

Q2a. While my alternator is recharging to battery which is constantly being used, isnt my engine working harder to provide the mechanical energy to recharge the battery and using more fuel?
A2a. Yes.
Q2b. Is this significant?
A2b. I do not believe so.

Q3. Will this shorten the life of my battery?
A3. No.

Q4. About how much will this cost me to do? (veterans? how much did you spend?)
A4. I made a electrolyzer for $6. It works but not very well. It is not a complete booster system either.

For costing, check out
http://www.water4gas.com/2books.htm
and
http://www.smacksboosters.110mb.com/

Smith03Jetta
07-11-2008, 04:13 PM
I agree with all of Dennis's answers. I have built 6 generators. I think I've spent about $300 on everything so far. That includes lots of electronics components to try out. That includes PVC pipe for two failed generators. 30 or so light cover plates, some 316 stainless steel plates, hoses, wires, fittings, bolts, distilled water baking soda, Sodium Hydroxide and numerous other things.

If you just jump in and start trying several different designs, you can expect to spend a couple hundred dollars over a period of a couple months. If you sit patiently, let somebody else do the leg work for you, you can take the best of our designs and run with them. We encourage everybody to experiment on this forum but some people just don't have enough money to do it.

I started out with a $2100 budget. I quickly realized that I would not need that much money. I decided to buy myself a couple pistols that I had been wanting really bad. The first one is a Walther SP22 Target .22 lr pistol. The second is a CZ Rami 9mm. It is for concealed carry. It's extremely accurate, holds 15 rounds and is compact and easy to conceal.

I guess I'm just one of those irrational uneducated souls that put my faith in God and Guns.

My latest generator built on PlumaBob's Design cost me $50 or $60 dollars in total.

I have been running an HHO Generator on my car since 5/6/08. No engine damage so far. Battery still has not run down. I would suggest that if you are worried about shortening your battery life, put your car battery on a trickle charger a couple times a month.

Keep in mind that Hybrid car owners are required to replace some very expensive batteries every 5 years or so. They cost between $2000 and $4000 to replace. I could pay to replace my $75.00 car battery every other month for 5 years and it would be less costly. Now, who's stupid???

The price of 30 - 40 average car batteries = 1 hybrid car battery.

dgarring
07-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys i appreciate the feedback.

What is the best design you guys have seen been used? I have about 100 bucks to spare on this so i cant really experiment right now. If however this works for me, ill have the funds to play around a little and use those on my friends machines.

Do those $50 or $60 units include the electronics to et around my O2 sensor? or is that a separate purchase?

dennis13030
07-11-2008, 04:19 PM
New batteries in Arizona only last about 2 years. The short life on the batteries is attributed to the heat. The Phoenix area gets really hot in the summer.

Smith03Jetta
07-11-2008, 04:30 PM
What kind of car do you have? Conversions on older cars are definitely less costly.

Year
Make
Model
EFI or Carb

Price of electronics mods depends on what kind of car you drive and whether or not you make the device yourself or buy it online.

timetowinarace
07-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks guys i appreciate the feedback.

What is the best design you guys have seen been used? I have about 100 bucks to spare on this so i cant really experiment right now. If however this works for me, ill have the funds to play around a little and use those on my friends machines.

Do those $50 or $60 units include the electronics to et around my O2 sensor? or is that a separate purchase?

It can be very cheap to experiment. I went to places like the salvation army and bought a whole bunch of stainless serving plates for about five bucks. Use a simple sealable container and play for weeks with plate configurations and output results. Then buy good grade material and build what you want.

dgarring
07-12-2008, 03:05 AM
2000 jeep wrangler 4.0 liter

i not very techno savvy so building one on my own would be a challenge.

About how many liters of hydrogen per minute would i need to maximize results? The more the better, or is there a sweet spot when maximizing efficiency? Will i have to tune my engine to use less gas, or will the o2 sensor override take care of that?

if anyone can build me the electrical components, let me know. i may have to purchase them from you. like i said, im not very techno savvy.

Also i was looking at the smack generator. Has anyone had success with this style. It looks fairly easy to reproduce, and the parts seem inexpensive enough.

rmptr
07-12-2008, 06:21 PM
DG, induction of HHO into the fuel/air mix acts as a catalyst to improve the burn. Experimenters seem to get positive results when generating less than 1Lpm, though more is considered desirable.

My guess is a Jeep 4.0 would respond quite favorably to HHO HOD.

Advise you read through all the threads here....

...I like Smacks design, also.

Plumabob's in the Carlon square electrical box would be easier to experiment within, though.

It's basically a 100 yr old proven process, but results will vary in auto application.

There IS risk involved, as with any experiment.

Best