PDA

View Full Version : My HHO Plans

weisdaclick
07-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Hello to all here, I am new to the forum and the idea of HHO. I have been researching hard and plan to put a system together.

First off – my vehicle. 1993 Mercedes 320CE which has a gas powered 3,200cc straight six. This car goes like a rocket but here in the UK it costs me £71 to fill the tank now – not that I am complaining about GREEDY OIL COMPANIES AND THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT TAXING THE **** OUT OF ME TO THE TUNE OF £ 0,000's EVERY YEAR.

However I digress, I am looking make a hydrogen generator out of a water filter housing or simliar. I will use stainless steel plates and arrange them in a +nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+ configuration. I am thinking to make one generator first then add a pipe to a second to create more gas. I think I will use KOH (Potassium Hydroxide).

After some research I think I will use 18 gauge stainless steel (1.2mm or 0.048”), I am thinking of a 1mm gap (0.039”) but am not 100% sure on this. Plate sizes – not set but thinking of something like 50-75mm (2-3”) by 150mm (6-8”) I will also make a bubbler then use reinforced pipe to connect to the intake system.

I don’t mind spending some money to put a system together as I should save big time if I get it right.

Now here are some questions I have.

1. Where would be the best place to introduce the gas? Before/after the throttle body? After could be a pig as it is quite inaccessible. The car has one large throttle plate and a plastic intake manifold, I reckon closer to the engine the better?

2. Idle speed, this car has no mixture/speed adjustment, its all done by the ECU. Therefore adding hydrogen would cause the idle speed to increase which the ECU would (in my opinion) compensate by dropping the idle speed back down correctly?

3. I have seen kits on the internet which have heaters for the gas (simple stuff I presume which involve some heat exchange from a hot water pipe) is this necessary/helpful for fuel economy? I have also seen ‘PCF valves’ this connects to the crankcase ventilation system, can anyone shed light on this?

4. I have also seen anti-flame valves, would this be necessary with a bubbler? I guess this would go between the bubbler and intake?

5. I thought to sterilize the plates before I use them, has anyone done this/think it’s a good idea?

6. Vacuum, I don’t think this would be an issue (providing the pipe does not collapse) as this is how the intake system works. Any views on this?

7. I could get stainless bolts for the hydro generator but there are many zinc plated bols out there as well, how would these hold up in the generator?

8. O2 sensor modification, this is definitely the weak link of my knowledge. I have seen ‘O2 extenders’ they are supposed to tell the O2 sensor to lean off. I am not sure how an EFIE works but http://www.pwmpower.com/efie.html look good at $49.99, and they ship internationally. Is this what I need to stop the O2 sensor from telling the ECU to richen up?

What do you think of my plans? All comments gleefully received.

weisdaclick
07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow.

Some sort of response would have been nice, guess I won't be posting here.

Stratous
07-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Hello to all here, I am new to the forum and the idea of HHO. I have been researching hard and plan to put a system together.

First off – my vehicle. 1993 Mercedes 320CE which has a gas powered 3,200cc straight six. This car goes like a rocket but here in the UK it costs me £71 to fill the tank now – not that I am complaining about GREEDY OIL COMPANIES AND THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT TAXING THE **** OUT OF ME TO THE TUNE OF £ 0,000's EVERY YEAR.

However I digress, I am looking make a hydrogen generator out of a water filter housing or simliar. I will use stainless steel plates and arrange them in a +nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+ configuration. I am thinking to make one generator first then add a pipe to a second to create more gas. I think I will use KOH (Potassium Hydroxide).

After some research I think I will use 18 gauge stainless steel (1.2mm or 0.048”), I am thinking of a 1mm gap (0.039”) but am not 100% sure on this. Plate sizes – not set but thinking of something like 50-75mm (2-3”) by 150mm (6-8”) I will also make a bubbler then use reinforced pipe to connect to the intake system.

I don’t mind spending some money to put a system together as I should save big time if I get it right.

Now here are some questions I have.

1. Where would be the best place to introduce the gas? Before/after the throttle body? After could be a pig as it is quite inaccessible. The car has one large throttle plate and a plastic intake manifold, I reckon closer to the engine the better?

2. Idle speed, this car has no mixture/speed adjustment, its all done by the ECU. Therefore adding hydrogen would cause the idle speed to increase which the ECU would (in my opinion) compensate by dropping the idle speed back down correctly?

3. I have seen kits on the internet which have heaters for the gas (simple stuff I presume which involve some heat exchange from a hot water pipe) is this necessary/helpful for fuel economy? I have also seen ‘PCF valves’ this connects to the crankcase ventilation system, can anyone shed light on this?

4. I have also seen anti-flame valves, would this be necessary with a bubbler? I guess this would go between the bubbler and intake?

5. I thought to sterilize the plates before I use them, has anyone done this/think it’s a good idea?

6. Vacuum, I don’t think this would be an issue (providing the pipe does not collapse) as this is how the intake system works. Any views on this?

7. I could get stainless bolts for the hydro generator but there are many zinc plated bols out there as well, how would these hold up in the generator?

8. O2 sensor modification, this is definitely the weak link of my knowledge. I have seen ‘O2 extenders’ they are supposed to tell the O2 sensor to lean off. I am not sure how an EFIE works but http://www.pwmpower.com/efie.html look good at $49.99, and they ship internationally. Is this what I need to stop the O2 sensor from telling the ECU to richen up?

What do you think of my plans? All comments gleefully received.

Ok, not sure why I didnt see this post before, sorry for the non response. Thats not normal behavour here.

Your plan sounds good, injection can be done prior to the throttle body, you will still have partial vacuum there. Dont use zinc plated hardware as it will turn you nice clean water/NaOH KOH mixture into a red soup. It will still produce, but it will require changing of the electrolyte solution alot more often. I would run a generator for a tank of gas before making the decision to make changes to the engine sensors and ecu.