PDA

View Full Version : Dry Cell/Wet Cell Compromise

longshorem
05-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I had another idea the other day...why not create an open bath type cell (with no gaskets), but rather than simply dunking the thing in electrolyte, why not build an acrylic or lexan type enclosure directly around it? Make the enclosure so that the cell fits perfectly tight in it to reduce inefficiency, make it six sided, and drill several small holes in the top plate and bottom plate to allow electrolyte in and HHO out. Simply plop the cell (in the enclosure) into the electrolyte and viola!

I'm thinking this design would alleviate (to some extent) the disadvantages of both types of design. There would be no extra tank for electrolyte or problems with gaskets as with dry cells, and there would be less current loss like a traditional wet cell.

This design would lend itself well to the stainless steel cloth I linked to in my other thread http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3656

So I suppose I should ask at this point if anyone has already tried this, and if so, did it work like I hope? :D

longshorem

truckman1966
05-05-2009, 01:14 AM
dig it. if you slotted the inside of the inner box, you could control exactly how much spacing you would have between plates. but how would you wire it.....

longshorem
05-05-2009, 07:31 AM
I'd wire it up the same as I do my current setup. I modified a few large hose clamps - the kind that you use a screwdriver to tighten - to connect. They are stainless, and seem to work pretty well. With the proposed setup, all you'd have to do is melt them through the top.

Roland Jacques
05-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Lots of manufactures still do this, or something very simular.

I would not say it is easier. And having the water resivior seperate can be a pluss in tight places.