PDA

View Full Version : Graphite plates?

snapper1d
05-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Hey guys I have been away for a while and my ss plates have finally gave out.How are the graphite plates working?I need to make another generator and was wondering about the graphite plates and if they were doing OK.I have been reading and am finding nothing on them now days.

truckman1966
05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
just curious. what grade of stainless were you using?

snapper1d
05-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I am not sure which stainless I am using.I dont remember since I made my gen last summer.Anyway it lasted that long.It was only the first plates + on each side that degraded.The neutral plates didnt degrade at all.I have been wondering how the graphite plates are working for others but it looks like no one wants to tell.

H2OPWR
05-08-2009, 01:07 PM
I am not sure which stainless I am using.I dont remember since I made my gen last summer.Anyway it lasted that long.It was only the first plates + on each side that degraded.The neutral plates didnt degrade at all.I have been wondering how the graphite plates are working for others but it looks like no one wants to tell.

It is not that no one wants to tell. None of us have even tried graphite plates to my knowledge.

Larry

JumpStart65
05-08-2009, 09:37 PM
It is not that no one wants to tell. None of us have even tried graphite plates to my knowledge.

Larry

Try the "Graphite Generators" forum,,,,

http://forum.beawindhog.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?b-2/

PatL

snapper1d
05-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Well I just got through reading the whole thread on graphite plates ot the forum you gave the link to and it looks like graphite doesnt work very well.It also looks like that forum has not had any post on it since march so it must be dead.

oicu812
05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
I know what you mean. I read every post at that other site. it would seam whatever cell we build wet or dry is basicly a electro plating cell. it strips material from the anode and tries to deposit it on the cathode
I'm not ready to give up yet. the tractor center sells a graphite coating that can be applied over aluminum . I have a few double pole double throw relays with a 120 volt coil and a 120 volt flasher box. with it I can change polarity on the cell every couple seconds. i'll let you know how it holds up in a couple weeks.

hg2
06-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Here's a graphite cell kit that's reasonable if anyone wants to try graphite:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carbon-Contact-Plates-Hydrogen-Generators-Boosters_W0QQitemZ120296237366QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2 94QQcmdZViewItem

I've been told that using potassium bicarbonate for the electrolyte works great and keeps the cell running clean with no issues.

hhonewbie
07-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Now im really:confused:
Anode:Graphite or 316ss which one is more feasible and economical???