PDA

View Full Version : I got worst mileage after install??

Coranan
07-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Hello every one. I have a few questions that maybe you guys can answer. I installed my HHO last tuesday and drove all week in town. I usually get 28MPG. I filled up today and I was getting 19MPG!!!???
Can anyone explain this? I hooked it up to a 1.8L Mitsubishi Mirage. I havent installed a O2 enhancer yet. I am questioning if the Enhancer is the Answer to my Problem. Is the O2 the answer??

mikestrikes
07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
In short YES, that and a MAP sensor controller..

timetowinarace
07-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Copied and pasted from the other thread I just repied to:

How much HHO are you producing?

You might try reducing the amps/output of your unit. Restet the computer as Stratous suggested and start with very low production and measure mileage. Gradually increase production untill you see a decline then go back to the previous amperage.

I personally feel this proccess should be used on all first installs on a vehicle. I've been reading to many posts of people bench testing till they get a decent output, then throwing it on their car only to spend another month spending time and money trying to make it work.

My answer would be 'maybe'. You won't know untill you find out how much hho your car will take without enhancements to sensors.

Stratous
07-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Hello every one. I have a few questions that maybe you guys can answer. I installed my HHO last tuesday and drove all week in town. I usually get 28MPG. I filled up today and I was getting 19MPG!!!???
Can anyone explain this? I hooked it up to a 1.8L Mitsubishi Mirage. I havent installed a O2 enhancer yet. I am questioning if the Enhancer is the Answer to my Problem. Is the O2 the answer??

Are you sure your system isnt leaking the HHO. If your hydrogen isnt making it into the engine, then your vehicle is having to expend energy to creat the hho w/o getting the benefit. Normally, a vehicle will see milage increase before it starts to decrease. Meaning, your MPG should have went up, then back down as the computer started to dump more fuel. You should post pictures of your unit, how you have it connected, how much power its consuming and how much gas production its creating. Then we may be able to solve the problem. We have had several people actually create a vacuum leak in their vehicle causing the MPG to decrease.

Roland@KnR
07-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Hello all I too have same problem however when i connected the unit my mpgs went up to about a +15mpgs a tank later it went backwards I think I am loosing that + , I have installed an O2 extender and I am seeing no change if not worse than before. The computer has been reset more than twice, I have not checked LPM's yet and the unit is on a 04 Dodge Neon 2.0, I do not know the amps, I only know that its not blowing fuses at 20amps. Its a Mason Jar Setup I will forward Pic, Does Vacuum hose diameter matter?

Stratous
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Hello all I too have same problem however when i connected the unit my mpgs went up to about a +15mpgs a tank later it went backwards I think I am loosing that + , I have installed an O2 extender and I am seeing no change if not worse than before. The computer has been reset more than twice, I have not checked LPM's yet and the unit is on a 04 Dodge Neon 2.0, I do not know the amps, I only know that its not blowing fuses at 20amps. Its a Mason Jar Setup I will forward Pic, Does Vacuum hose diameter matter?

It may be that your unit is not producing anymore, or that you need to make more adjustments to your car's sensors. You really need to know how much power the unit is drawing from the car. After the unit has run for about an hour, is it hot? Alot of people who make the spiral wrap design have problems shortly after they install it. Personally, I do not recommend those style of generators. They tend to produce less and dont last as long as plate designs.

Roland@KnR
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I have ran the unit for several hours on a trip the other day it didnt get to hot but it was quite warm maybe holding your hand around it for approx 15 or so seconds, my design isnt the spiral type I have made an insert with several parallel +'s and several on the other side -'s on a 20 amp fuse it makes the whole bottle milky with bubbles instantly and when attached to a bubbler for testing it produces 20 or 30 bubbles every second or two. I am using braided military stainless saftey wire looped 5 times for + and 6 for -. I used a spark plug non fouler for the O2 and I am thinking that it isnt long enough so I plan to attach the other one that came in the package to increase the length out of the exhaust. Without an Amp meter are there any other ways to check amps/volts

Stratous
07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
I am a bit outside my experiance level here with a gas engine. My experiance comes more inline with design and building a generator over installation. Either you cars computer has adjusted for the sensed lean condition or your HHO isnt making it to the engine. Make sure you dont have a leak anyplace.

Coranan
07-14-2008, 08:47 PM
I recheck my connections and found a Vacuum leak. I tighted up all connections and went for a drive on the Hwy. I have returned to normal MPG with the HHO. I manage 35MPG with the HHo turned on. That is the same without the unit. I am going to mess with the bubbler a little more but I do not think it is the issue. I will post pics of my unit in a bit. I cannot measure amps with my multimeter, it will not register. as for voltage I read 13.84VDC. I have the HHO wired into a 40amp relay with a 30amp circuit breaker inline. I assume that I cant read amps b/c its higher than 10 and less than 30amps. Breaker works and multimeter works on other circuits. I will post updates.

Stratous
07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
I recheck my connections and found a Vacuum leak. I tighted up all connections and went for a drive on the Hwy. I have returned to normal MPG with the HHO. I manage 35MPG with the HHo turned on. That is the same without the unit. I am going to mess with the bubbler a little more but I do not think it is the issue. I will post pics of my unit in a bit. I cannot measure amps with my multimeter, it will not register. as for voltage I read 13.84VDC. I have the HHO wired into a 40amp relay with a 30amp circuit breaker inline. I assume that I cant read amps b/c its higher than 10 and less than 30amps. Breaker works and multimeter works on other circuits. I will post updates.

Its possible, my cheap meter will read up to 18 amps for a short time. I hope that continued use will yield a gain for you. If not, you may have to adjust your o2 sensors or something.

Coranan
07-14-2008, 11:50 PM
ok, just ended for the night. I readjusted the bubbler where it has a very few bubbles. No I did a quick experiment, I mixed 1/4teaspoon in a pint of distalled water. The engine ran for about 3mins then died. I then couldnt keep it idling on it own unless I adjusted the idler screw on the throttle body and is now working fine. I do not know the RPM at idle due to my car not having a TACH. Im assuming that I was producing to much Hydro for my engine to handle....on another note,my batteries died on my camera so I will post pictures tomorrow. Any thoughts??

Smith03Jetta
07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I couldn't read the amps on my system with a multimeter style Amp Meter. Most of them are set up for 120 volts. I had to install an automotive 12 volt ammeter on my positive wire to be able to see accurately what my amp draw was. They are about $15.00 online and as much as $25.00 in stores. If you go to the store to buy one, you should go to a mom and pop auto parts store or a large tractor parts supply (John Deere, Cat, etc) instead of an Autozone or Advance or Orielly auto parts. The chain stores normally don't carry ammeters.

timetowinarace
07-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I couldn't read the amps on my system with a multimeter style Amp Meter. Most of them are set up for 120 volts. I had to install an automotive 12 volt ammeter on my positive wire to be able to see accurately what my amp draw was. They are about $15.00 online and as much as $25.00 in stores. If you go to the store to buy one, you should go to a mom and pop auto parts store or a large tractor parts supply (John Deere, Cat, etc) instead of an Autozone or Advance or Orielly auto parts. The chain stores normally don't carry ammeters.

I bought one at harbor frieght for $4. havn't used it yet though.

Coranan
07-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Car running great at idle again but still not changes in mileage. Here is some pictures that some of you have asked for.

dennis13030
07-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Car running great at idle again but still not changes in mileage. Here is some pictures that some of you have asked for.

Are you sure that the HHO is making it into the intake?

timetowinarace
07-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Try routing hho input to the air filter box.

Stratous
07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Has your idle speed changed at all? You said it runs great at idle, which leads me to think you have a vacuum leak. Most newer vehicles idle speed is controlled by the computer, so if you have seen an increase, it possible that it was caused by a vacuum leak. If you have created a vacuum leak, then that would explain everything. Hydrogen is the smallest molecule on the periodic chart. It can escape through holes that even water cant get through. Normally a vehicles vacuum will pull the hydrogen into the engine regardless of leaks or not. It will take the least resistant route. So assume that the HHO is making it to the intake, but the gains you would have seen are lost due to a vacuum leak, which is usually characterized by an increased idle speed.

Coranan
07-16-2008, 04:23 PM
I double checked, and had another person check all my componets that could cause a vacuum leak, and found known. So today, I bypassed the Watertrap and directly connected the PCV hose to the HHO output. The idle decreased and ran rough for about a minute and then smooth out. I went for a drive on the Hwy for a 123mile round trip. I then filled the tank as routine. With surprise I only consumed 2.46 gallons of fuel. I did the calculation and got 50mpg....Im very happy with that. Now my question is, how come the water trap was not allowing the hydro to pass through? and am I now at risk of water damage to the engine?

dennis13030
07-16-2008, 04:38 PM
If you see water going into the intake, you should stop that. Damage from the water...hmmm...it's unlikely.

It sounds like you are on the right track. There is a problem with the bubbler or lines to/from it. You should check for both leaks and for blockages.

50 MPG WOW!

mikestrikes
07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Damage from the water...hmmm...it's unlikely.

It doesnt take much to start chocking a motor down, if enough water gets in it can Hydro lock........... trust me I bent connecting rods after sucking in water offroading in my 4x4...........

But a little water.......... the finner the mist the better will clean and cool a motor !

Stratous
07-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I am so jealous!!!! I want 50mpg!!!!! oh well. Grats, you should post your gain in the Testimony section.