PDA

View Full Version : Will MAF sensor combust HHO inside intake chamber?

GDTRFB85
05-25-2008, 09:21 PM
In prereration for HHO installation I modified my intake. I have a 1999 Toyota 4Runner 3.4L. I can route the HHO into the intake either before the MAF sensor or after it. It occurred to me though that the MAF sensor contains a glowing red hot wire. As the air is passed over the sensor the amount of current it takes to keep it at a constant temp tells the computer how much air the car is consuming. Routing the HHO after the sensor will not provide an accurate air intake reading to the computer while routing it before the sensor seems like it could create an explosion hazard, especially as the HHO content in the air increases, for instance during idle. Has anyone had an issue with the MAF sensor igniting their HHO? Any input would be very much appreciated.

gasmakr
05-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Definatly route it after the MAF have not herd of anything exploding from sensor ignition....you do have flame arresters installed on your system right...:eek:... you don't want the computer to read the extra flow anyway because the more flow the comp. reads the more fuel it will supply to the combustion chamber to compensate.:)

myoldyourgold
12-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Definatly route it after the MAF have not herd of anything exploding from sensor ignition....you do have flame arresters installed on your system right...... you don't want the computer to read the extra flow anyway because the more flow the comp. reads the more fuel it will supply to the combustion chamber to compensate.

I would like someone to explain how by injecting before the MAF the flow is increased. Adding HHO is not like adding a blower or supercharger. HHO is basically taking up some space that would have been air and a very small portion at that, or am I missing something here. The other point is if the HHO is injected far enough from the MAF so there is enough time and space for the HHO to mix with air there is no way, with the amount of HHO being injected, it could ignite. Injecting it right next to the MAF, where pure HHO could hit the heater on the MAF, would be dangerous and should not be done. I think it is more a safety issue than any thing else.

Some tests reported by others have shown that injecting after the MAF does give better results but why, is not at all clear to me anyway, and in some resent tests I have done I found no difference that was measurable. I have only theories but no hard science or test data that show why. The amount of HHO injected compared to the total volume of air is so small that I doubt the MAF can tell the difference. I can only see where large amounts of HHO or HHO that has large amounts of moisture in it making a possible difference. I would like to hear what others think.

francodrr
01-19-2012, 09:22 AM
I have installed more than a 100 HHO systems and i have never had that case. All the explotions (3) were caused when starting the car after leaving the key in the ignition click for more than 5 minutes. Nothing serious happened. In one case the air filter cap opened up but it didnt break anything. just a very loud BANG!!!!!!!

Avalanche1
02-11-2012, 01:21 AM
I have installed more than a 100 HHO systems and i have never had that case. All the explotions (3) were caused when starting the car after leaving the key in the ignition click for more than 5 minutes. Nothing serious happened. In one case the air filter cap opened up but it didnt break anything. just a very loud BANG!!!!!!!

Before or after the MAF

Weapon_R
02-11-2012, 03:16 AM
I would like someone to explain how by injecting before the MAF the flow is increased. Adding HHO is not like adding a blower or supercharger. HHO is basically taking up some space that would have been air and a very small portion at that, or am I missing something here. The other point is if the HHO is injected far enough from the MAF so there is enough time and space for the HHO to mix with air there is no way, with the amount of HHO being injected, it could ignite. Injecting it right next to the MAF, where pure HHO could hit the heater on the MAF, would be dangerous and should not be done. I think it is more a safety issue than any thing else.

Some tests reported by others have shown that injecting after the MAF does give better results but why, is not at all clear to me anyway, and in some resent tests I have done I found no difference that was measurable. I have only theories but no hard science or test data that show why. The amount of HHO injected compared to the total volume of air is so small that I doubt the MAF can tell the difference. I can only see where large amounts of HHO or HHO that has large amounts of moisture in it making a possible difference. I would like to hear what others think.

The more diluted the less effective once it reaches the cylinders. Same principle as direct fuel injection.
In short the closer to the cylinders the better which almost certainly means after the maf.
Hope that helps.

myoldyourgold
02-11-2012, 12:05 PM
The more diluted the less effective once it reaches the cylinders. Same principle as direct fuel injection.
In short the closer to the cylinders the better which almost certainly means after the maf.
Hope that helps.

In theory this might be true. Now for the BUT. The facts can be different. It is dependent on other factors the first being the quantity of HHO, the second the quality of the HHO, and if the engine is turbo charged or not. I have left out carburetors from this because different rules apply so this only applies to electronic fuel injection.

I would agree that it might make a difference if the right amount is injected after, or as close to the combustion chamber as possible which applies to normal fuels, but remember this is not considered a fuel. If you carry this further and with less fuel and are injecting much more good quality HHO you need it to mix the HHO with enough air so when it hits the heat of the turbo it does not ignite. The amount of air available in the mix becomes the limiting factor. The leaner you go the more HHO you are going to need to balance the burn rate and with higher quantities of more powerful HHO the air/HHO/fuel mixture becomes very critical. Air becomes very critical. There are other factors that also apply in the throttle body if there is a venturi effect. It gets complicated and is only relative to HHO that has more ortho hydrogen than normal reactors create, so will not go into detail other than to say if not mixed correctly (given enough time to mix) there is potential of combustion at that point. This will never happen in normal use and with setups discussed on this forum. I only mention it because it is related to the topic being discussed.

Weapon R is right theoretically the closer you can inject a fuel to the combustion chamber the better it is in normal conditions and if you consider HHO as a fuel. The problem is not using it as a fuel and with such small amounts of HHO which is mainly para hydrogen, the difference has not been measurable in my experience so far. Of course this does not mean it does not happen just has not been measured by me. I do believe there might be a difference but have not been able to measure or feel any difference. I can see where it might be necessary to even move the MAF farther away especially in the hot wire type, so you can inject after it and yet have enough time and distance for a better quality of HHO to mix properly with the air to get the needed mix of the now lower amount of fuel being injected, same air volume, and more quality HHO.

aceras624
02-13-2012, 08:48 PM
seems to me that it doesnt matter whether you injec the HHO BEFORE or AFTER the sensor. I say this because the air is PULLED into the engine not PUSHED, therfor if you inject say 5% hho you still have 95% air whether its before or after any sensors. Is there anything im missing here? does the HHO deactivate or something if it is in contact with air longer?

myoldyourgold
02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
seems to me that it doesnt matter whether you injec the HHO BEFORE or AFTER the sensor. I say this because the air is PULLED into the engine not PUSHED, therfor if you inject say 5% hho you still have 95% air whether its before or after any sensors. Is there anything im missing here? does the HHO deactivate or something if it is in contact with air longer?

Well the answer is yes and no. The longer HHO comes in contact with metal the weaker it gets or lets say it changes its state. You are right that it would be very hard/impossible to ignite it with the hot wire of the sensor. It is interesting though that in some vehicles not running it by the sensor does make a difference but not all. Why, I do not know at this moment. The less time it has to change temperature is also part of injecting it as close as possible. So you can see there is wiggle room. I look at in a practical way because I think the differences are barely measurable in most cases.