PDA

View Full Version : efie, map, o2 extenders

dgarring
07-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Okay, so the more i look around, the more these terms are thrown around, and if someone would be so kind as to explain:
what the are
what they do
if they are all necessary (how to determine if they are)
where to get them
how to install them
pretty much anything you know would be helpful

Thanks!

Stratous
07-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Okay, so the more i look around, the more these terms are thrown around, and if someone would be so kind as to explain:
what the are
what they do
if they are all necessary (how to determine if they are)
where to get them
how to install them
pretty much anything you know would be helpful

Thanks!

You should run the generator on your vehicle to see if you get good gains, if you dont then worry about the o2 sensor extenders and such.

dgarring
07-14-2008, 02:12 PM
i have a 2000 jeep wrangler 4.0
is it common to yield better mileage without these electronics?

Stratous
07-14-2008, 02:24 PM
i have a 2000 jeep wrangler 4.0
is it common to yield better mileage without these electronics?

I believe it is common to see some increase without adjustments but it may be necessary to make some adjustments to achieve the large MPG increase. Honestly though you will need to install the generator and monitor MPG, if you are happy with the increase then leave it alone. If you want more mpg, then make the necessary changes.

porkchop
07-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I have a Jeep grand Chrekee, 1997. I do need a Efie. Still learnign about these. I posted on a thread asking for help on the info on this stuff. It is under general discussions.

Stratous
07-17-2008, 10:08 AM
I have a Jeep grand Chrekee, 1997. I do need a Efie. Still learnign about these. I posted on a thread asking for help on the info on this stuff. It is under general discussions.

You should read this document: perhaps you dont need an efie.

RMForbes
07-17-2008, 12:45 PM
It really depends on the control curcuits that are already on your vehicle. If you have multi-point fuel injection (1 or more fuel injector per cylinder) and distributorless ignition, you will need an EFIE to retard the ignition timing by adjusting the MAP sensor output. If you have multi-point fuel injection and a distributor ignition, you will need to add an EFIE to adjust the output of your O2 sensor. If you have throttle-body injection, you will need to experiment because you may still need an EFIE but you may not. Of course, carborated vehicles do not require any EFIE at all.

That's as clear as mud, right?