PDA

View Full Version : What not to do!!

Stratous
07-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Ok, so Saturday I had to take my daughter to work. I must have been lost in thought or something because I forgot to turn off my electrolyzer, of course I didnt realize it at the time. So Monday morning, I jump in the truck to head off to work and low and behold my batteries are dead as a door nail. I then reach down to the switch with dread in my heart to find, that yep it was as I feared, I had left the bugger on for two days. I slowly crawl out of the truck with pictures of melted plastic in my head. I opend the hood and wow!! To my surprise, my pvc electrical box was still on one piece. I took the screws out and popped the slightly warped lid off to reveal that most of the water was gone. I then put a battery charger on the batteries and filled up the generator. Twenty minutes later I was heading off to work with my generator on. It could have been much worse than just drained batteries and am lucky that my truck didnt burn down....lol

dennis13030
07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Some people tap into the accessory power to drive a relay that powers the electrolyzer. This ensures that when the ignition is on the electrolyzer will be on and when the ignition is off the electrolyzer will be off.

As water is depleted from the electrolyzer, the resistance should increase and current will decrease(and so the heat). When most or all of the water is gone, there should very little current.

Stratous
07-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Some people tap into the accessory power to drive a relay that powers the electrolyzer. This ensures that when the ignition is on the electrolyzer will be on and when the ignition is off the electrolyzer will be off.

As water is depleted from the electrolyzer, the resistance should increase and current will decrease(and so the heat). When most or all of the water is gone, there should very little current.

I was too cheap to buy a relay when I installed my unit. I used a 300 amp battery isolation switch to controll the power. My next unit will be with a relay.

cougar gt-e
07-14-2008, 11:03 PM
I was too cheap to buy a relay when I installed my unit. I used a 300 amp battery isolation switch to controll the power. My next unit will be with a relay.

I've been thinking that an oil pressure switch feeding a relay that is powered from the key on circuit would be good. Turn on the key, start the engine then after it gets oil pressure, the unit would kick in and start making gas. Stop the engine and the unit would stop making gas.

Anybody with a hanker'n to explain how that would be hooked up? (I just thinks up the ideas, I don't know HOW to do them!)

packer fan

timetowinarace
07-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I think it's fuse #30 in the fuse box that is the ignition fuse. I'll double check. I just used a fuse tap to wire in my relay. It is very close to your unit so splicing in a relay will take you about 15 minutes.

I also left mine on once but happened to walk by and heard it boiling. A relay went in the next day. I don't worry about a battery drain so much as blowing something up.

packer fan, just find the oil pressure sensor, determine wich wire sends the signal to the gauge(or light), strip a bit of insulation from it but don't cut it and add a wire, that wire goes to the input on relay(can't remember what the number is) and the other side goes to ground.