PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary tests



MikeP
03-31-2008, 03:44 AM
I did some testing today using a computer power supply, and metered the aperage on the circuit while adding and changing the electrolyte solution. I am using a large vlasic pickle jar for tests, and found that ad I added electrolyte to the water it conducts a lot better proportional to the amount of electrolyte added.

In about 3L of water, I ended up with very good production with 7 tbsp of epsom salts, and 3 tbsp of baking soda.

Producing a lot of gas with 12V 15A power supply, drawing 11.40amps.

bagrman
04-01-2008, 05:20 PM
From what i have read, salt will produce chlorine gas. Have you heard of anyone putting in Hydrogen peroxide.

Latr

MikeP
04-01-2008, 08:35 PM
No, I haven't heard of anyone using that.

I'm not sure that would help, as it's not really an electrolyte is it? It's Hydrogen and Oxygen.


Yes, salt will produce chlorine gas.

cemkarakurt
04-05-2008, 04:19 AM
i am using coustic soda .
keep my plates clean but still i am testing but if you going use coustic soda you need to test in out side of the house or you need good ventilation.
my plates are 7 inc by 3.5 inc i have tray -nn+nn-nn+nn- and 8mm speacing or i use 4 mm speacing it is best prodation i ever get but oll my testing is dane by battery charger 12v by 20 - 25amp.
when i tray to conect the in to car when is car ranning hho cells are sucking to mach power from the car is any one have any information or id have can i limit power frome car to cells.

MikeP
04-05-2008, 09:43 AM
You're using lye!

We're only experimenting with the inert or "safe" electrolytes, and so far we have done very well in production amounts!

We're running +nn-nn+ 7 plates, and yet it's still working well..

can you post video of your lye setup?

I'll record and post video of our setup to compare.

-MP

dstew2
04-19-2008, 03:26 AM
I have had good success using 1 teaspoon of baking soda per 100mL of distilled water. Applying 14.1 volts at 16 amps in 1200mL of electrolyte I have been able to produce 760mL per minute. The electrolyte temperature at the time of measurement was 145 degrees F. I have produced 1.2 liters per minute using 20 teaspoons of baking soda per 1200mL of electrolyte but the current was nearly 30 amps and steady rising as the temperature increased.

MikeP
04-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Did you end up with corroded electrodes in any of your experiments?

we found the more electrolyte you infuse into the situation, the worse the electrodes got corroded or coated with crap?

dstew2
04-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I have leached some rust from my 304 SST plates but it is not very bad. I plan to upgrade to 316 SST to greatly reduce this unwanted effect.

fosgate3
04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
i use baking soda as well. i dont know how to measure the output though so i really cant give you good measurements. I'm using 1/4 teaspoon (about 1.25ml) per 1quart (about 950ml) of distilled water, with 13.8v DC from my engine.

on my test bench with a very small 12v dc power supply (5amp), I used salt and it turned my water green (and slimy)! No, I didn't taste it.

I thought about using soda and peroxide instead of distilled water. The extra oxygen atom on the peroxide may yield a better burn and perhaps cleaner output (thinking that the extra gas would decrease the amount of gasoline used for those of us using a hybrid set up).