PDA

View Full Version : Combination wet/dry cell???

mbjhho
06-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Why cant we take a good producing dry cell, seal it around the outside of the cell. Then fill it with water too!!!! One person told me it would short out the cell..... Why would it short it out, it is already grounded by water inside. This might be a way of utilizing the voltage from the edges of the plates. The only thing ,,,,,it might make too much heat. But wow would it ever produce.. :rolleyes: Has anyone tried this????????
thx
mbjhho

Q-Hack!
06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Why cant we take a good producing dry cell, seal it around the outside of the cell. Then fill it with water too!!!! One person told me it would short out the cell..... Why would it short it out, it is already grounded by water inside. This might be a way of utilizing the voltage from the edges of the plates. The only thing ,,,,,it might make too much heat. But wow would it ever produce.. :rolleyes: Has anyone tried this????????
thx
mbjhho

Not sure what you plan to gain from this... understand that the difference between a wet cell and a dry cell is only a physical design change. Theoretically if you could seal the edges in a wet cell it will perform as well or better than a dry cell of the same surface area. I say better only because you don't have leaking current around the holes.

There was somebody here (H2OPWR), who built a hybrid wet/dry cell that didn't have holes in the plates for electrolyte to flow though. Instead the electrolyte flow was through holes in the acrylic side panels. It is probably the closest to what your thinking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYoBnKEVZG8&feature=channel_page