PDA

View Full Version : Whats new in HHO since i have been gone?

BennyLava
06-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Been out of the loop for... i think about a year now. Back then we were using stainless steel plates, and Roebec Caustic drain cleaner as the cheap best. The limit for just about everyone's hho generator was about 2 liters per minute. Has that changed at all? That is given what a typical car's electrical system can take, of course. After all im sure you could build a 10 LPM unit if you had the power to feed it. Just wondering what all advances have come along in the past year. If any.

BennyLava
06-09-2009, 04:49 PM
What about a change in the LPM? Is 2 LPM still pretty much the limit?

H2OPWR
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
What about a change in the LPM? Is 2 LPM still pretty much the limit?

2 lpm is now childs play. Much has changed in the last year. Take a look at my last video 8.5 LPM with 2 small cells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5-u3-SnYJk&feature=channel_page

Larry

BennyLava
06-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Sorry i left out some specifications lol. I meant for a vehicle application. I dont think a vehicle's electrical system could hanlde an 8 LPM load. Or maybe it could? Anyone know?

H2OPWR
06-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Sorry i left out some specifications lol. I meant for a vehicle application. I dont think a vehicle's electrical system could hanlde an 8 LPM load. Or maybe it could? Anyone know?

Mine can but I have upgraded to a 265 amp alternator. You are correct though. Most can not.

Larry

BennyLava
06-15-2009, 01:34 AM
So do you know if your big bad alternator is draining MPG? Seems like it would be very hard to turn it. Also, what other mods did you have to do to get your car's electrical system to be able to support that kind of load? Anything besides the alternator?

H2OPWR
06-15-2009, 02:24 AM
So do you know if your big bad alternator is draining MPG? Seems like it would be very hard to turn it. Also, what other mods did you have to do to get your car's electrical system to be able to support that kind of load? Anything besides the alternator?

No, The alternator is more effecient than stock and only uses HP when a load is applied. No other mods were necessary on my particular truck. I actually have a 20% MPG increase with just HHO. No other mods.

Larry

BennyLava
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Sounds pretty nice. But that is absolutely all that you did to the vehicle's electrical system? You didn't have to replace any wires, or fuses, or relays with bigger better ones? And how much did that huge alternator cost, if you dont mind? And how many LPM is your vehicle's generator cranking out? Just trying to learn what all i am going to have to do to my '87 silverado.

H2OPWR
06-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Sounds pretty nice. But that is absolutely all that you did to the vehicle's electrical system? You didn't have to replace any wires, or fuses, or relays with bigger better ones? And how much did that huge alternator cost, if you dont mind? And how many LPM is your vehicle's generator cranking out? Just trying to learn what all i am going to have to do to my '87 silverado.

For my application I did not have to change anything else. My truck already had large enough wore from the alternator to the battery. For most applications that wire would have to be upgraded. I had to have my alternator specially make because there were no off the shelf applications for my truck so it was quite spendy. For more common vehicles like your truck off the shelf HO Alternatore are between $300 and $400.

The cell on my truck cam provide up to 7 LPM but I never run it over 5 LPM.

Larry

BennyLava
06-15-2009, 06:36 PM
That is a lot of hho for that small of an engine. I estimated that much for my 5.7L V8 would be needed to see a decent gain in MPG. Ever worry about valve embrittlement? You may end up having to replace the valves in your cylinder heads with stainless steel versions.

H2OPWR
06-15-2009, 07:22 PM
I have since turned the flow down. 5 LPM was max I ran. I had too much trouble. The truck idled at 25 MPH and 1000 RPM's. I am now only running 2 LPM until Painless finshes his new PWM that will adjust based on fuel injector pulse width.

Larry

nvtowing
06-15-2009, 08:59 PM
H2OPWR,

A little of topic.. But, if i remember right.. One of the "proof" of concepts that HHO is contributing to a vehicles performance is to at idle: turn HHO on, adjust the idle/carb to very low rate, and the vehicle will supposedly idle far lower than it would normally with fuel only..

Have you or anyone confirmed this?

H2OPWR
06-16-2009, 12:02 PM
H2OPWR,

A little of topic.. But, if i remember right.. One of the "proof" of concepts that HHO is contributing to a vehicles performance is to at idle: turn HHO on, adjust the idle/carb to very low rate, and the vehicle will supposedly idle far lower than it would normally with fuel only..

Have you or anyone confirmed this?

Sorry but that test is not possible for me to do. The idle is controlled by the ECU and the throttle is drive by wire.

Larry

nvtowing
06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Larry, Thanks for your response. I'd be interested to see results from this test (if anyone has tried it):

Run HHO at idle, tune to as lowest RPMs possible.... Then cut out HHO and see if engine dies, or if it will idle even lower w/o HHO.

H2OPWR
06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Larry, Thanks for your response. I'd be interested to see results from this test (if anyone has tried it):

Run HHO at idle, tune to as lowest RPMs possible.... Then cut out HHO and see if engine dies, or if it will idle even lower w/o HHO.

I can tell you that my truck idles at 625 RPM's woth no HHO or up to 2 LPM HHO. After that it goes up. Not sure if it is the HHO or the ECU interference. Just that it happens.

Larry

BennyLava
06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Do yall think that in the long run, all of us will be needing something that changes the amount of HHO being produced per RPM level? I mean, the hho needed at 800 RPM is different than the amount of HHO needed at 2400 RPM. OR, are we simply just dialing back the gas as much as we can, and supplementing that with whatever amount that our generator can crank out? Both methods would seem to make sense. On the one hand, you would think that you need more HHO for more RPM's, just like gasoline. On the other hand, HHO is far more flamable and if we already dialed back on the gas, the preset amount of HHO should be enough, right...? I mean we aren't building a hot rod here. We are trying to turn our gas guzzlers into eco-commuters. Well, compared to what they were, anyway.

PeteVamped
07-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Yea quite a bit has change so much better products to work with now that everyone is trying to go green

HomeGrown
09-07-2009, 05:32 PM
2 lpm is now childs play. Much has changed in the last year.

Larry

Interesting stuff! I've also been absent for about the last year, and was wondering the same thing: what's changed?

By what virtue do you get your massive LPM output? Is it primarily cell design, electrolyte mixture, electronic controls, or some combonation of them?

I had built a nice tubular cell, but life happened, and could not continue development. At this point, I'm not sure my cell is worth pursuing if other cell configurations have been proven to be more efficient.

Is there now a universally accepted cell design, or are people still playing with various plate configurations / electrolyte mixture / current, etc.?

Thanks for your posts, and getting us back up-to-speed.

mike915
08-03-2010, 12:57 PM
2 lpm is now childs play. Much has changed in the last year. Take a look at my last video 8.5 LPM with 2 small cells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5-u3-SnYJk&feature=channel_page

Larry

What's your plate configuration??