PDA

View Full Version : PWM install on 95 Jag XJ6, help please

tat3r
06-08-2009, 02:40 AM
I've had this system for about 3-4 months now, but haven't gotten it running b/c I don't have the suppport to get it connected and running properly and I'm quite tired of just looking at the components. I've already installed the 2 dry cells and resevoir and tubing, but need to work on the wiring.

I need some advice installing a PWM with accompanying O2 sensor enhancer and MAP/MAF sensor enhancer.

If anyone has experience with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you are in the El Paso, TX area it would be great to occassionally share your/our "expertise" in this matter. I haven't found anyone else in El Paso doing HHO.

My main concerns on the PWM are:
1- my engine has 2 O2 sensors, before the cat conv (2 pipes coming off the manifold with 1 sensor on each pipe). The PWM I purchased only has 1 wire for O2 sensors. I'm wondering if this will work b/c I'd have the "jumper" the wires at some point to splice in the O2 Enhancer wire and I'm concerned of the O2 sensors cross feeding info to the ECU b/c of the splice. Additionally wondering if the 1 O2 sensor enhancer would be enough "juice" for both - or would I just turn it up twice as high as normally needed for one.

2 - Do I splice into the O2 sensors where the wires run into the ECU?

3 - How do I know which wire to splice into?

4 - I'm obviously not that tech-savvy. I don't even know the different setting on the voltmeter. So naturally I'm really afraid of jacking something up.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Q-Hack!
06-08-2009, 10:31 AM
1- my engine has 2 O2 sensors, before the cat conv (2 pipes coming off the manifold with 1 sensor on each pipe). The PWM I purchased only has 1 wire for O2 sensors. I'm wondering if this will work b/c I'd have the "jumper" the wires at some point to splice in the O2 Enhancer wire and I'm concerned of the O2 sensors cross feeding info to the ECU b/c of the splice. Additionally wondering if the 1 O2 sensor enhancer would be enough "juice" for both - or would I just turn it up twice as high as normally needed for one.

While I have heard of people connecting both O2 sensors to a single EFIE, I personally bought two EFIEs to connect up to each O2 sensor. I am sure that jumping the to sensors together is ok, as long as the signal to the ECU doesn't exceed the peek voltage level it is looking for.

2 - Do I splice into the O2 sensors where the wires run into the ECU?

I did the splices under the hood just past the connector between the O2 sensor and the vehicles wire harness. This way I could replace an O2 sensor if need be without having to worry about the splice.

3 - How do I know which wire to splice into?

This question requires more info... What type of O2 sensors does your vehicle have? (wideband or narrowband) You can tell by the number of wires comming off of it. with 4 or less you have a narrowband with 5 or more it is a wideband. Most EFIEs are designed to work with the narrowband, but there are wideband versions available. If you have a wideband then you will need to do a bit more research as I havn't played with them. However, with the narrowband, if you look at the 4 wires you will see (probably) two gray, one white and one black. The two gray wires are heater wires and you don't need to worry about them. Of the other two wires one will be the ground wire which should be the same potential as the vehicle chassis. (sometimes there will only be three wires and its the ground wire that is missing.) The last wire of course is the signal wire you need. On my vehicle it was the white wire, but understand that different vehicles use different colors. If yours don't match mine then just look for two colors that are the same (heater) and then try to figure out which one is the ground wire by setting your multi meter to the resistance function (if you touch the leads together the meter will move) Then hook one lead to the vehicle chassis and touch the other lead to one of the wires. If the meter moves then that is the ground wire.

4 - I'm obviously not that tech-savvy. I don't even know the different setting on the voltmeter. So naturally I'm really afraid of jacking something up.

Hopefully I have explained it such that you can understand... if not just let me know and I will try better.