PDA

View Full Version : questions about plates

northhydrogen
07-16-2008, 04:12 AM
I have some questions about the most efficient cell made of SS plates. what is the best distance to space the plates from each other? What is the best number of plates to use? What will happen if you use to many? What is the best way to keep down heat and amps? how much baking soda should i use in relationship to water? What is the best pattern to put the electrodes in when utilizing the neutral plates? Do the neutral plates produce any HHO? Are plates the best electrode to use? How do you keep the (+) and (-) plates seperate and attach them so you can have two terminals? How many Neutral plates should I use? Any help would be appreciated

dennis13030
07-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I have some questions about the most efficient cell made of SS plates. what is the best distance to space the plates from each other? What is the best number of plates to use? What will happen if you use to many? What is the best way to keep down heat and amps? how much baking soda should i use in relationship to water? What is the best pattern to put the electrodes in when utilizing the neutral plates? Do the neutral plates produce any HHO? Are plates the best electrode to use? How do you keep the (+) and (-) plates seperate and attach them so you can have two terminals? How many Neutral plates should I use? Any help would be appreciated

In this forum we discuss many of these things and more. I think that I can help a bit.

No body seems to know what is the most efficient cell made. However, in my opinion, cells made with stainless steel electrodes work the best. There are two grades of stainless steel that are commonly use(304 and 316L). Flat rectangular electrodes(aka plates) are the easiest to work with and seems to produce HHO the best. There is a lot of debate over optimum plate spacing. I believe that optimum plate spacing is between 0.05" and 0.25". My next electrolyzer will use 0.1" spacing. The best number of plates depends on the source voltage and the selected configuration. For a vehicle, the source voltage is between 12-14.5V and the ideal number of plates are 5 or 6 per anode/cathode pair. These configurations are +NNN- and +NNNN-. More common configurations are +NNN-NNN+. Neutral plates do produce both oxygen and hydrogen. As for heat and amps, they follow each other(more heat=more amps, more amps=more heat). It is possible and prudent to design your electrolyzer to operate at a target value of heat/amps. For electrode connections see photo samples.

Want more, just ask me.

timetowinarace
07-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Most of your questions can be answered by reading through the threads.

daveczrn
07-16-2008, 11:12 AM
what is the best way? who knows... thats why there is this forum. It's not known as to what is the best, so we are testing and designing new styles. it's not expensive to get started and get testing yourself either.

countryboy18
07-16-2008, 04:51 PM
what other materials can be used for plates. does one work the best but dosent last long. will galvanised steel work at all?

cougar gt-e
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I think you want to stay away from anything that will degrade in the liquid, teh resulting gas may or may not be what you want. I would think that stainless plated with a fairly inert metal like Gold or Platinum would be good. Platinum is supposed to help break down the fuel according to some. It would look way cool in a see thru box too! BLING!

Packer Fan
{Aaron before Brett? Only alphabetically!)

dennis13030
07-16-2008, 05:06 PM
There are a few concerns about the plates.
How badly do they rust or oxidize or pollute the electrolyzer tank?
How well do they react with electrolytes?
How expensive are they?
How difficult are they to fabricate and cut?

The concensus so far is that Stainless Steel(SS) is best. SS grade 316L is better than 304. Aluminum is good(grade 1100) but it has some problems with some electrolytes and it oxidizes a bit.