PDA

View Full Version : amps

wlf89
07-16-2008, 01:12 PM
how do i check to see how many amps i am drawing do i check my terminals or inside on the wire also how much is the ideal amperage

daveczrn
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
how do i check to see how many amps i am drawing do i check my terminals or inside on the wire also how much is the ideal amperage

you can pick up a amp meter from sear, lowes, homedepot, where ever. Or you can get a amp gauge from Pepboys, any other automotive shop.

Ideal amperage? the lowest amperage that you can draw while producing the most gas. That will be the most effiecent.

Stratous
07-16-2008, 01:38 PM

You need an ammeter or a multi-meter. In either case, the meter leads will be connected inline with the positive power wire. Basically like this. Red meter lead to battery, black meter lead to positive terminal on hho generator. Make sure the meter is configured to test amps, most meters have connections for ohm/volts and a seperate connection for amperage.

If your going to use an ammeter, the hook a from the battery to the positive terminal on the gauge, then another wire from the neg terminal to the generator.

dennis13030
07-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Just make sure that whatever meter you use can handle the amount of current you are going to measure.

A lot of low end multimeters have a maximum amp limit of 10 Amps. If you use this type of meter and the current you are measuring is greater than 10 Amps, it will blow a fuse inside the multimeter.

Mid range multimeters cost more but have a maximum amp limit of 20 Amps. If you use this type of meter and the current you are measuring is greater than 20 Amps, it will blow a fuse inside the multimeter.

For the high amps that are used with electrolyzers, a clamp on type of current meter may be the best way to go.
http://www.calright.com/pd_434.aspx

daveczrn
07-16-2008, 05:41 PM
i got this one on sale about a year ago for $45... it will go up to 400 amps.
now it's $60 though

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482369000P?vName=Tools&cName=Electrical+Shop&sName=Multi-Meters%2C+Testers+%26+Accessories

Smith03Jetta
07-16-2008, 05:55 PM
The dash mounted 60 amp ammeter from Sunpro is really useful so you can monitor production while you are driving. If amps go way up, you might have a short. If goes down you might have a busted container or water leak.

Dewayne
07-16-2008, 07:14 PM
The dash mounted 60 amp ammeter from Sunpro is really useful so you can monitor production while you are driving. If amps go way up, you might have a short. If goes down you might have a busted container or water leak.

If you have a short you better have a fuse inline or something is going to burn - as in flames.

wlf89
07-16-2008, 07:21 PM
all i want to know is where do i stick the probes at in the water on the wire or on the terminals where my wires are hooked or where

Dewayne
07-17-2008, 01:05 AM
all i want to know is where do i stick the probes at in the water on the wire or on the terminals where my wires are hooked or where

Here is the easiest way I can explain it.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO POWER TO THE UNIT, DO NOT LET THE LEADS OR WIRE TOUCH ANYTHING.......

1. Disconnect the wire from the + terminal on the outside of the cell.
2. Take the black lead from the meter and connect it to the spot where
you just removed the + wire.
3. Take the red meter lead and connect it to the wire you disconnected in step 1.
4. Set your meter to it's highest setting. You can lower the scale if needed, just don't go so low that you blow the fuse in the meter.

Apply power to the cell and make your reading.

Remember to disconnect the power when you restore the wire back to the cell.

If your meter has the inductive loop type pickup just put the loop around the + wire going to the cell and take your reading.